Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    He then invested heavily in a Greek Bank after cashing in Bank of Ireland :eek:

A banking and restructuring expert buying into failed banks and making it work, now there is a shocker. He is not investing in the banks, he’s a special situation investor - something, very few people are good at and some cannot even seem to recognize, it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Jim2007 wrote: »
    A banking and restructuring expert buying into failed banks and making it work, now there is a shocker. He is not investing in the banks, he’s a special situation investor - something, very few people are good at and some cannot even seem to recognize, it would seem.

He is a shrewd investor who invested in Bank at Michael Noonans invitation while on his US tour in 2011 during which Noonan also incentivised Vulture funds with tax breaks ,is there a story behind that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

If they are "tied to the state"

How come the banks fared so poorly this past six years?

Legacy issues from the early 2000s, ECB regs, lack of lending for big projects such as construction which is been financed through funds now. Also Ireland is a small market and the banks here are dealing in high street banking and small business lending. They don't do the big corporate lending and investment banking services with large multi nationals that other banks in Europe or the US would do

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

neris wrote: »
    Legacy issues from the early 2000s, ECB regs, lack of lending for big projects such as construction which is been financed through funds now. Also Ireland is a small market and the banks here are dealing in high street banking and small business lending. They don't do the big corporate lending and investment banking services with large multi nationals that other banks in Europe or the US would do

The big European investment banks have also been dismal performers this past decade

Very disappointing to see it not joining the broader rally

It's a dog but even so, aib up nearly 20%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Very disappointing to see it not joining the broader rally

It's a dog but even so, aib up nearly 20%

AIB had fallen further but nonetheless, BOI should do better. It seems it attracts a lot of short interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Browney7 wrote: »
    7 May - be stunned if they pay it

Confirmed cancellation of payment today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Dividends were suspended for all Euro banks last week until October at the earliest.

Maybe, after this is all over, they will finally pass a law banning the reprehensible BS practice of spending share-holders money to prop up share prices so that they can pay themselves bonuses. It is simply legalised theft.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Dinarius wrote: »
    Dividends were suspended for all Euro banks last week until October at the earliest.

Maybe, after this is all over, they will finally pass a law banning the reprehensible BS practice of spending share-holders money to prop up share prices so that they can pay themselves bonuses. It is simply legalised theft.

D.

Are their bonuses based on share price rather than performance of the business?

ING also cancelled their dividend , jim was flouting them a week ago or so as being able to continue paying for another two years

he didnt say explicitly but he of course never explicitly tips any stock

• Advertisement

ING also cancelled their dividend , jim was flouting them a week ago or so as being able to continue paying for another two years

he didnt say explicitly but he of course never explicitly tips any stock

Nope and if you spent some time doing your homework rather than generating noise noise you'd know why. The bank I'm looking at is still sitting there. From the private messages I've received at least 23 people have copped on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Nope and if you spent some time doing your homework rather than generating noise noise you'd know why. The bank I'm looking at is still sitting there. From the private messages I've received at least 23 people have copped on...

Walter Mitty is that you

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You received 23 pms asking you for the name of a bank?

Thargor wrote: »

Who would have so little self esteem?

His ego barely fits in here as is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

He's obviously a complete WUM. More fool to be listening to him.

Thargor wrote: »

No, I received 27 as of now, asking me to comment on their analysis and homework. Which I'm happy to do, but I have no intention of helping anyone who brings nothing to the table but noise.

For all the noise makers, there are many more people who take the thing seriously, put in the work and do very well for themselves. Generating an average return of around 12% over say 30 years means you double your money every five years or there about.

10k -> 20k -> 40k -> 80k -> 160k -> 320k, add more savings and allow for some mistakes and you'll still have a tidy some to retire early on. This is not unusual, it just takes hard work and dedication as opposed to doing the Mad_maxx dance and being luck to come away with money you put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

€2.74 looking good value

I think when it reaches about 10-20 cents it might be worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mzhou

I would always be cautious about penny stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gman1987

Just got statements from AIB today and attached was a leaflet regarding the deposit guarantee scheme. Last time I see these was 2008:eek:

Carnage today. A new low, I think.

Not exactly huge volume. But, they’re just aren’t any buyers. So, it will tank on any sell volume.

Market wants to see an exit strategy (from lockdown) and it wants to see it working.

Without this, we will see sub €1, coz the banks are going to be hammered in the fallout from the virus.

But, if the damage caused to the economy and to society by the lockdown proves worse than the disease, the BofI share price could be the least of our worries.

D.

• Advertisement

dare i say nationalisation is now a real possibility ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

BOI wasn't nationalised in 2008, and has a far better balance sheet and capital ratio now than it did then, when banks were the root cause of the problems, so its even more unlikely than 12 years ago I would think

Yahoo
    sk8board wrote: »
    BOI wasn't nationalised in 2008, and has a far better balance sheet and capital ratio now than it did then, when banks were the root cause of the problems, so its even more unlikely than 12 years ago I would think

So why is the stock being mercilessly slaughtered if it's not in danger?

Maybe All bets are off due to covid 19?

Loan defaults galore?

Of course you can and for our further amusement perhaps you can let us know why that is on the cards....

And based on your insights and constitutional rights you’re going to go long on it big time then, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Yahoo

Loan defaults galore?

The stock is caught in the crossfire of Brexit and Covid-19, strong short interest and a day traders paradise with deep swings. Fundamentally, banks are challenged short-term for obvious reasons. Bought at these levels with a long-term time horizon it will deliver good returns. When and how much I can’t say but when we get to the other side banks will fuel the recovery.

The only danger is to clueless individuals who know nothing about banking could loose their money trying to time the market, something you should know a lot about by now.

The Irish banking sector was always going to get hammered, the only unknown was the timing. If you’d only do a little research....

Bought at these levels with a long-term time horizon it will deliver good returns.

Only in your dreams. It’s a small regional bank operating in an unconsolidated commodity industry, the best you can hope for is that a special situation might arise leading to a decent price on consolidation. Although I doubt it, because it has got too much baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

Yahoo

Loan defaults galore?

I'm not sure any of your questions relate to how markets work.

Current BOI trading is pretty unlinked from the banks P/E or (perceived) value. Indeed BOI is off the scale in the 'value' graph (99/100), but its marked as a Value Trap due to almost zero momentum behind the price (3/100).

Take a look at hte detail BOI provide on their shareholders and shareholdings.

https://investorrelations.bankofireland.com/shareholder-information/shareholder-structure/

an interesting table in that link is the breakdown of the 97,000 shareholders by holding. 80% of shareholders own less than 500 shares, barely €685 at todays price. They are literally in the noise level (barely 0.75% of the shares in circulation).

On the other end of the scale, 204 institutional investors control 87% of the shares (incl the irish Gov 15%).

Big volume today and a 10% rise.

Any news?

Maybe in anticipation of an agreement on EU debt sharing?

D.

• Advertisement

866k trades. Huge volume.

And up almost 13%.

🀔

D.

Advertisement