Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

this stock is very predictable , goes up for two days on the trot , then the following morning - third day , it drops back abruptly

a smart person could make serious hay by swing trading it ( at least at the moment ) ?

bought a small bit at 1.53 myself a few months ago , probably sell if it gets anywhere into the two,s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Max,
    this predictable situation could end today, or any day.
    But the ups and downs of the last six weeks have been profitable for many.

i have bought and sold six or seven times, each netting 100 to 300.

the fact, seen as bad by some, that a major player holds 8 % of the shares(am i right here ,is that approx 80,million shares ) they were bought, it is believed from 2.50 down to 1.35. they may well have been instrumental in driving it down, to buy more.

Their presence is ominous to shareholders whose averages are above 4 euro, but to me their presence means that any chance to buy in the 1.60s, 1.70s,1.80s is as near a sure fire winner as you could find.

GLA

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

Bought in today at 1.71

Been Heavy Red last few days and I expect it to probably drop further after the government to force them to go back on the latest interest scandal, but should bounce back hopefully

sirboby wrote: »
    Bought in today at 1.71

Sold today at 1.91

Might get back in again if(when) it falls back to the low 7's

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DollarBill0000

Is it possible to buy options on BOI on Degiro?

• Advertisement

should always be sold once it gets over 1.90

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    should always be sold once it gets over 1.90

How come?

daheff wrote: »
    How come?

For the past 4 months it has never closed at over 1.9 for two days in a row.

If it does go over 1.9 then it is almost guaranteed to drop 4%+ the next day.

sirboby wrote: »
    For the past 4 months it has never closed at over 1.9 for two days in a row.

If it does go over 1.9 then it is almost guaranteed to drop 4%+ the next day.

its a plaything

eventually when the overall market takes a breather , bank of ireland isnt going higher no matter how things get back on track , the overall market has been phenomenal for four months now , not bank of ireland , could well be at 1.84 in a years time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

Bank of Ireland charging pension funds for the first time
    About time. If the bank is to start performing as a business instead of a charity then there might be some hope of a share price recovery.
    Why not up the interest rates on Mortgages while they are at it, its not as if theirs any competition now in Ireland.

• Advertisement

ChuckieEgg wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland charging pension funds for the first time
    About time. If the bank is to start performing as a business instead of a charity then there might be some hope of a share price recovery.
    Why not up the interest rates on Mortgages while they are at it, its not as if theirs any competition now in Ireland.

Up interest rates?

Imagine the outcry

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Market reacting positively, up nearly 10% this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Market reacting positively, up nearly 10% this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Was getting ready to buy, I thought it might go down to €1.65 on the back of results. Ended up selling. What do I know? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Nice jump, didn't break resistance however. Have decided to cashout here and reverse. Tight stop & a 1.7 target seems achievable, stock is a plaything for now, play the ranges.

Sets aside almost €1bn for potential losses and poor future outlook, yet the price rises over 10%. Where's the logic??

codrulz wrote: »
    Nice jump, didn't break resistance however. Have decided to cashout here and reverse. Tight stop & a 1.7 target seems achievable, stock is a plaything for now, play the ranges.

Absolutely, not a stock to hold, just one to play with.

1400 jobs being culled.. Francesca out interestingly "We're being quite clear to the market today that we would see the majority of the full year impairment charge - between 70-85% of the full year- being taken in the first six months" .

I think once I see close about 2.05 Im placing a chunky long, until then rinse and repeat.

until then rinse and repeat.

Stamp duty level makes it less attractive for this though.

1400 jobs being culled.. Francesca out interestingly "We're being quite clear to the market today that we would see the majority of the full year impairment charge - between 70-85% of the full year- being taken in the first six months" .

I think once I see close about 2.05 Im placing a chunky long, until then rinse and repeat.

I wonder will large provision have to be made for redundancy payments??

• Advertisement

Stamp duty level makes it less attractive for this though.

Agreed, hence using a spread betting platform to avoid.. (don't judge!)

Mav11 wrote: »

Yes, but the salary savings, while not booked, are expected to be greater.

Mav11 wrote: »

it will be chunky enough for sure, here's a link to details on their previous round.

link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

All the long-term indicators have been buy/positive since April/May.

OBV, 50day EMA, MACD, etc.

The announcements regarding big buying over the last few months only confirm this.

The trend is up, and has been for a few months.

For once, BofI seem to be responsibly preparing for the worst rather than announcing it to us after the fact.

I wouldn't be short now, and I wouldn't expect to get them again at €1.60/70, barring bad news, which seems unlikely in the short term.

D.

it will be chunky enough for sure, here's a link to details on their previous round.

link

Voluntary redundancy, just on the news. Will result in higher payouts to make the offer attractive.

Dinarius wrote: »
    All the long-term indicators have been buy/positive since April/May.

OBV, 50day EMA, MACD, etc.

The announcements regarding big buying over the last few months only confirm this.

The trend is up, and has been for a few months.

For once, BofI seem to be responsibly preparing for the worst rather than announcing it to us after the fact.

I wouldn't be short now, and I wouldn't expect to get them again at €1.60/70, barring bad news, which seems unlikely in the short term.

D.

I agree, had a great run from €1.30ish to €2 a few weeks past so the stock owes me nothing at this stage. up ~€400 this morn since shorting at 2.03, will most likely take it and run...

BOI seem to be taking some promising steps, finally. I think the stock could definitely run soon but still struggling for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Agreed, hence using a spread betting platform to avoid.. (don't judge!)

Do you short it also, or just one direction? What's your entry/exits?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Do you short it also, or just one direction? What's your entry/exits?

yeah, both ways. Long all the way up and until those low 2 levels break I'm going to short any rally.. when I saw we didn't break through 2.05 yesterday felt it had topped so shorted at 2.03 and still holding.

yeah, both ways. Long all the way up and until those low 2 levels break I'm going to short any rally.. when I saw we didn't break through 2.05 yesterday felt it had topped so shorted at 2.03 and still holding.

I'm not smart enough for shorting but dumped a third of my holding at 2 euro yesterday, will buy back at 1 75

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I'm not smart enough for shorting but dumped a third of my holding at 2 euro yesterday, will buy back at 1 75

Ah I wouldn't say that! back yourself and start small with well positioned stops if you want to start.

coming close enough to that 1.75 target no.

Advertisement