Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Volatility appears to have reduced, no 25% swings in a long time now

Volatility appears to have reduced, no 25% swings in a long time now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Volatility gone for now. I think its due to a few of the smaller investment funds from across the pond adding positions.
    I'll be using a trailing stop-loss from now on. I can see this recovering back above €3 but with Brexit back on the horizon the share price will be used as a punch bag to rattle weak holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

Volatility gone for now. I think its due to a few of the smaller investment funds from across the pond adding positions.
    I'll be using a trailing stop-loss from now on. I can see this recovering back above €3 but with Brexit back on the horizon the share price will be used as a punch bag to rattle weak holders.

1.78 now, Volatility is officially back :)

Blackrock gone above 7% now. I had a feeling that they were lerking in the background. They spent the last week triggering the stops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Blackrock gone above 7% now. I had a feeling that they were lerking in the background. They spent the last week triggering the stops

Another big buy by Blackrock yesterday. Speculation is that they are preparing to do a pump and dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Mav11 wrote: »
    Another big buy by Blackrock yesterday. Speculation is that they are preparing to do a pump and dump.

Can you elaborate on the speculation? We've had this said numerous times about what they are doing, buying for someone else etc etc.

Can you elaborate on the speculation? We've had this said numerous times about what they are doing, buying for someone else etc etc.

Well, speculation is just that, speculation.

What is meant by "pump and dump" is: large quantities of the share is bought by a MM to pump up the value. When the price reaches a certain level the MM dumps all or part of their holding to either a) reduces losses or; b) increase returns.

This is why players such as Blackrock are known as Market Makers (MM),

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Indeed.

I too would like a link to this “speculation”.

Anyone who thinks Blackrock could “dump” a holding of this size at a profit, at these prices, either has no idea what they’re talking about or is short BofI and hurting.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Well, speculation is just that, speculation.

What is meant by "pump and dump" is: large quantities of the share is bought by a MM to pump up the value. When the price reaches a certain level the MM dumps all or part of their holding to either a) reduces losses or; b) increase returns.

This is why players such as Blackrock are known as Market Makers (MM),

And you don’t know what a market maker is either.

D.

• Advertisement

Dinarius wrote: »
    Indeed.

Anyone who thinks Blackrock could “dump” a holding of this size at a profit, at these prices, either has no idea what they’re talking about or is short BofI and hurting.

D.

I think that Blackrock are currently at a loss on this share holding. So my guess would be to reduce a loss.

Indeed.

D.

Glad to be of help

https://www.lse.co.uk/SharePrice.asp?shareprice=BIRG&share=bank_of_ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Looking at the last few months, Bank of Ireland is the perfect yo-yo share.

Drops to about €1.60 rises to €2.0 ..then falls back...and rises again.

I have made a few bob from BOI ...but one of these Yo-yo's will be the stinger. SP drops to €1.60....plebs buy in.... SP falls to €1.00 BAAM!!! ...

Indeed.

D.

Well done on finding someone who got hurt shorting bank of Ireland

Indeed.

D.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Well done on finding someone who got hurt shorting bank of Ireland

a) That couldn't be further from the truth and:

b) You might keep your posts a little less personal please. By all means comment on, or attack the post, not the poster.

GLA

*Signs out of the thread

a) That couldn't be further from the truth and:

b) You might keep your posts a little less personal please. By all means comment on, or attack the post, not the poster.

GLA

*Signs out of the thread

my previous post wasnt addressed to you , wasnt in the least bit personal either, no attacking anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

time to short again imo, tight stop, 1.90 target for now.

codrulz wrote: »
    time to short again imo, tight stop, 1.90 target for now.
    I don't see that as a great trade, how are you shorting this? I looked earlier and the spread is killing any gains you could make plus the trend is clearly upwards

I don't see that as a great trade, how are you shorting this? I looked earlier and the spread is killing any gains you could make plus the trend is clearly upwards

Agree trend is upwards and as I have said before, until it breaks out and closes above ~2.10 It, It will keeps trading within a range so playing that through 20% margin spreadbet. I've made a lot between this and buying AIB anytime it ticks below 1.03, will continue until ranges break, then I'll go long again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Welcome back, quiet here for a week, the gaurdians bickered over the meaning of a word.

• Advertisement

Agree trend is upwards and as I have said before, until it breaks out and closes above ~2.10 It, It will keeps trading within a range so playing that through 20% margin spreadbet. I've made a lot between this and buying AIB anytime it ticks below 1.03, will continue until ranges break, then I'll go long again.

is the trend upwards ?

its repeatedly failed to close above 2.05

with the broader market looking frothy , id reckon BIRG waited too long to breakout ?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    is the trend upwards ?

its repeatedly failed to close above 2.05

with the broader market looking frothy , id reckon BIRG waited too long to breakout ?

A trickle more than a trend!
    It been choppy and certainly struggled to break out the last few months.
    I do think there is some value in BOI at the moment- lower for longer isn't good (reflected in share price at present) but BOI is in the fortunate position relative to others of holding a dominant position in a market where they can charge amongst the higher rates in Europe.

For that reason, I think sooner or later - regardless of how the S&P is performing we'll see a shift up towards €3 as more enter, but not above that for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ShockChance

with the new banking fees coming in people are going to be leaving in droves. you guys are mad thinking things are going to go up.

with the new banking fees coming in people are going to be leaving in droves. you guys are mad thinking things are going to go up.

To where, AIB? good thing I hold that too..

A trickle more than a trend!
    It been choppy and certainly struggled to break out the last few months.
    I do think there is some value in BOI at the moment- lower for longer isn't good (reflected in share price at present) but BOI is in the fortunate position relative to others of holding a dominant position in a market where they can charge amongst the higher rates in Europe.

For that reason, I think sooner or later - regardless of how the S&P is performing we'll see a shift up towards €3 as more enter, but not above that for a long time.

Higher interest rates here is little compensation for having no recourse when mortgage holders go rogue

Banking is a **** business in Ireland

Banking fees, higher interest rates, charges on holding cash, pension fund fees all on the way and its not only for boi its every bank and financial institution will be applying these. On top of which there will be more job cuts and branch closures.
    Bad for customers
    Good for Bank profits

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Getting shot of the free loaders and time wasters usually works well in banking...

To where, AIB? good thing I hold that too..

Revolut for one.

Traditional banking is dying on its feet. AIB and BOI were (expensive) branch networks trying to move to online. However, the likes of Revolut and even KBC are taking retail and Avant coming into the mortgage market is possibly the start of eating into their mortgage market, which leaves commercial banking. That should last longer as there's no disruptor there.

idk, last time I was inside AIB it looked very automated, only 1 staff member serving there to help and by the look of her I'd say she wasn't overpaid. No queues there, just, in and out in a few minutes. Yes bricks and Mortar business is expensive, but its that for every other business on the high street, not just banks. Plus this covid will not only awaken online business but will lead to a revaluation of rents.
    Both AIB and Bank of ireland have been online for years now. The likes of revolut sounds great, but it does less than the apps from both aib and boi, plus when it comes to a Mortgage it boils down to a proven credit history which you wont get from revolut.
    The reality of getting a Mortgage for most people is will the Bank say yes to me, thats all that matters to them. So that leaves the sub prime to the likes of Avant and KBC.
    Commercial banking is the real money maker, and truth be told Banks would love to dump the retail side of banking.
    The biggest threat to banking in Ireland is from legislation, just look what happened when Bertie got light to nonexistent regulation in place. As long as that doesn't happen again they are safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Both AIB and Bank of ireland have been online for years now. The likes of revolut sounds great, but it does less than the apps from both aib and boi, plus when it comes to a Mortgage it boils down to a proven credit history which you wont get from revolut.
    The reality of getting a Mortgage for most people is will the Bank say yes to me, thats all that matters to them. So that leaves the sub prime to the likes of Avant and KBC.
    Commercial banking is the real money maker, and truth be told Banks would love to dump the retail side of banking

I have had Revolut for 6 years now, UB, BoI and KBC apps. The Revolut app is streets ahead of any of these. Revolut UK even offers loans. I can move money from Irish current account to my UK one via Revolut and will be the in 2 hours and cost nothing, which cannot be said for the Irish banks.

Have closed UB and in process of closing BoI account as they are poor online services and expensive and moved everything to KBC. If Revolut or N26 did a credit card and half decent savings account in Ireland KBC would be gone too!

That said, I do own BoI shares :p

Advertisement