Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

So basically no one will recommend stock but yet can still tell us that 12% annual growth is available by buying stock .Of course etf are the epitome for everyone but when all the extra tax is paid no one is better off only the collector general .Do not get me started on managed funds where no matter how much shares rise you might be lucky to see any growth at all after charges .I asked a simple question that no one here can answer to name a couple of blue chip stock that will grow annually

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

cute geoge wrote: »
    ... .I asked a simple question that no one here can answer to name a couple of blue chip stock that will grow annually
    Maybe Microsoft, Apple, etc? You have only Irish based stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Augeo wrote: »
    They aren't taboo but anyone will advise that anything beyond a tiny percentage of your portfolio invested there is gambling rather than investment in comparison to investing is a large cap diversified portfolio of stocks.

We all know this

I never said put everything in kerry or smurfit, Jim is opposed to having anything to do with them or any ISEQ constituents

cute geoge wrote: »
    So basically no one will recommend stock but yet can still tell us that 12% annual growth is available by buying stock .Of course etf are the epitome for everyone but when all the extra tax is paid no one is better off only the collector general .Do not get me started on managed funds where no matter how much shares rise you might be lucky to see any growth at all after charges .I asked a simple question that no one here can answer to name a couple of blue chip stock that will grow annually

Anyone serious about long term investment in Ireland does some of it via their pension. The bolded piece can't be a serious question, sure be to fnck it can't.
    If you've a huge issue with the collector general & etf taxation the 8 year disposal thing isn't too bad IMO, I don't understand how folk have huge issue with it TBH.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I never said put everything in kerry or smurfit, Jim is opposed to having anything to do with them or any ISEQ constituents

I wasn't on about putting everything in it..."anyone will advise that anything beyond a tiny percentage of your portfolio invested there is gambling rather than investment in comparison to investing is a large cap diversified portfolio of stocks".

I've money in loony stuff but I still don't forget it's loony and won't try and persuade anyone it's not loony either. 12 months ago the likes of Dalata would have been mentioned in the same high regard as Kerry & Smurfit. Sh1t can hit any fan but the stock market as a whole always bounces back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Sometime ago I asked Jim 2007 about getting access to "orders".
    He replied that he was unaware of how to do it in Ireland.

Well just now I googled a few prices and it brought me to a Euronext site which does show "orders". i.e. what bids or offers are lurking below the surface.
    Quite interesting

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

rugbyman wrote: »
    Sometime ago I asked Jim 2007 about getting access to "orders".
    He replied that he was unaware of how to do it in Ireland.

Well just now I googled a few prices and it brought me to a Euronext site which does show "orders". i.e. what bids or offers are lurking below the surface.
    Quite interesting

Regards

I see that information also but I can’t make sense of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

I see that information also but I can’t make sense of it

Not sure what site you're looking at but it'd be quite common for orders to exist below (if buying) or above (if selling) the current share price.

As an example. BOI closed at 3.41 today.

Someone might want to buy x amount of shares at 3.35

Someone might want to sell x amount of their shares at 3.50

As long as the orders are realistic in my simple example, the market will eventually match buyers and sellers as the share price goes up/down. There could also be some unrealistic orders in there that people have forgot about that bear no resemblance to the current share price which won't get filled any time soon.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

On the move today again. Looks like an assault on €4 soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

RaggyDays wrote: »
    On the move today again. Looks like an assault on €4 soon

Difficult to know what drove the 6% pop yesterday, in a period of relatively low volatility for the share
    - the news from the US was, um, “mixed” to say the least(!).

Meanwhile, Here at home we increased the lockdown restrictions and so forth, as did BOI’s other market in the U

BOI has been a very positive share for me as I got in at 1.35 avg last May purely as a value play, with probable return of the dividend eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

sk8board wrote: »
    Difficult to know what drove the 6% pop yesterday, in a period of relatively low volatility for the share
    - the news from the US was, um, “mixed” to say the least(!).

Meanwhile, Here at home we increased the lockdown restrictions and so forth, as did BOI’s other market in the U

BOI has been a very positive share for me as I got in at 1.35 avg last May purely as a value play, with probable return of the dividend eventually.

yields were rallying, particularly US 10yr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

Anybody have a view on when BOI will return to paying dividends again?.

My gut says there will be something this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Timing belt

daheff wrote: »
    Anybody have a view on when BOI will return to paying dividends again?.

My gut says there will be something this year.

There might be a token dividend paid but the loss in 2021 will eat into the capital that any dividend will be paid out from and banks will struggle in the low interest rate environment to replenish the capital so unless we see inflation and an increase in the yield curve there may only be small dividends for quite awhile.

Token div allows them to stay in some funds that require divs though. If those funds have to drop BOI that might cause a price drop.

Token div allows them to stay in some funds that require divs though. If those funds have to drop BOI that might cause a price drop.

I would be more concerned about negative rates being introduced by BOE or the risk of a new Covid mutation hitting Ireland than the bank not paying a dividend.

Interesting article on why the banks took such large provisions at half year knowing that ECB stress tests may restrict Dividends if provisions were not sufficient.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/banking/third-lockdown-reverses-improving-outlook-for-banks-balance-sheets-39945093.html

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Well, today was a fun day, is there something that has caused the share price to drop severely in d last 2 days.

Well, today was a fun day, is there something that has caused the share price to drop severely in d last 2 days.

Covid Lockdown.....At the rate it is spreading economy will be locked down for longer than originally expected

Covid Lockdown.....At the rate it is spreading economy will be locked down for longer than originally expected

Its also arguably a little over bought

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Its also arguably a little over bought

Very true will be interesting to see what the full year loss will be at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Thanks to a suggestion on here some weeks ago i am now getting up to the minute prices and 'orders' on Euronext

just now I was watching the orders, highest asking price was 3.49 ish and price rose to 3.51
    So I reckoned a manipulator bid more than asking, to drive the price up. But i think one's order gets filled with those on offer anyway ,no matter how much more one bids.
    Looking at the order book there were two buys of 35,000 shares each, at 3.51
    the script beside them was 'off book on exchange'

seeking education, I remain, yours faithfully
    Rugbyman

rugbyman wrote: »
    Thanks to a suggestion on here some weeks ago i am now getting up to the minute prices and 'orders' on Euronext

just now I was watching the orders, highest asking price was 3.49 ish and price rose to 3.51
    So I reckoned a manipulator bid more than asking, to drive the price up. But i think one's order gets filled with those on offer anyway ,no matter how much more one bids.
    Looking at the order book there were two buys of 35,000 shares each, at 3.51
    the script beside them was 'off book on exchange'

seeking education, I remain, yours faithfully
    Rugbyman

The only thing I can think of is that it was a bilateral trade that was not included in the central order book.

• Advertisement

As I understand it, It's basically an off exchange deal, which is then reported to the exchange. Happens regularly.

Somebody rings a market maker looking to do a particular sized deal which would be bigger than they could do on exchange in one lot. Broker will quote them a price (slightly over/under market because of size).

Deal done & broker reports trade to exchange.

35k shs @ 3.5 is about 120k EUR trade.

down about 7.5% today. SP below 3 at the moment.

anybody have any insight as to why?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,451 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

down about 7.5% today. SP below 3 at the moment.

anybody have any insight as to why?

There was expectation before Christmas that the economy would open up earlier this year. I say we here by as no expectations that we would have a 10-15 week full lockdown. Delays by the rollout of the vaccine accross the EU is not helping either. Maybe the readings ofannual reports which are sure out are not great either

Slava Ukrainii

should drop to 2.60 in the coming week , ive a buy order as been out since 3 on the button

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭supersonic21

Augeo wrote: »
    What are your investment aims?

Diversification is subjective but I'd not class 30 stocks as great diversification...... Because it's all stocks.... No bonds... No cash...no commodities. ... Bla bla bla.

Anyone after true diversification shouldn't really be picking their stocks IMO... ETFs & indexes offer diversification.

How do you say that ETFs offer diversification if you think having 30 stocks isn't diversified? Surely you're just still adding stocks albeit by way of an ETF, or are there ETFs that invest in bonds and commodities?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

How do you say that ETFs offer diversification if you think having 30 stocks isn't diversified? Surely you're just still adding stocks albeit by way of an ETF, or are there ETFs that invest in bonds and commodities?

That is because it really is not about diversification.

They are two different strategies you can have diversification or concentration in either.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    That is because it really is not about diversification.

They are two different strategies you can have diversification or concentration in either.

How is this related to this Thread.... seeing as posts are being deleted as they are not relevant.... Does the same apply for this post as I can't see how it relates to BOI shares.

You can't have one rule for MOD and another rule for everyone else... At least be consistent!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Banks always first to get hit and slowest to recover. I exited my positions from banking stocks last week but I didn't expect this to go back under €3. It's tempting at below 3 but I'll sit on the side-lines for now until we see what happens with the Virus. I suspect 2021 could be nearly over before we can say the virus is under control.
    As an aside I've also began exiting a lot of my risky positions, some which had huge gains but I've tighten up the stop loss on them all now and even had one of them trigger an hour later. From now on I'll only be holding very solid (if a bit boring) investments.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

How is this related to this Thread.... seeing as posts are being deleted as they are not relevant.... Does the same apply for this post as I can't see how it relates to BOI shares.

You can't have one rule for MOD and another rule for everyone else... At least be consistent!!!

I'm not a mod on this forum and there is a wonderful feature on this board called ignore, you could always use that if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

(thanks for the tip on the ignore list :D ).

BOI was just going through a month or two of not being the focus of bad attention - normal service resumed today, they got hit far harder than the wider market, just like Feb-Nov.
    we already know what happened the SP when we exited the last lockdown, and we know what'll happen the next time, the only issue is that this could go on through mid-year and beyond.
    I bought in mid-May 2020 and I'll be holding until it stabilises, which could be well into the future, but thats fine too.

Advertisement