Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHCP and NAT settings

Options
  • 23-11-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I have an Apple Airport Extreme. I ran it in bridged mode up until recently because it was an extension to another router. Now it's connected to my cable modem and I'm wondering what settings to use. My options are

"Select if you want this Apple Wi-Fi base station to share a single IP address with wireless clients using DHCP and NAT or distribute a range if static IP addresses using only DHCP."

I've no idea what the difference or benifit of one over the other is. Can anybody shed any light on it for me? I think it's currently set to share a single IP address. I have cabled and wireless devices on the network.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I guess is sharing a single IP (the external assigned by ISP ) using DHCP (running and giving internally/local IPs range) and NAT (to allow multiple clients over LAN-WAN-LAN mapping).

My best educated guess here...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Ok, is there any real advantage of one setting over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

the first one is correct for your configuration, as it uses NAT to allow translating between the external IP and your internal

The second one is not correct here - you would use it to create another subnet in an internal network...

Advertisement