Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you close a claim for no 'proper' reason?

• 23-11-2011 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I've been benefit for some time now and I'm hoping to begin employment soon but I'm actually sick of receiving payments/signing on and can survive for a few months without this. Will any questions be asked if I just close my claim? I see there's an option to do this online, would it be best to put down 'other' as the reason?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You can close your claim ant time you like.Be aware that your stamp history will not be complete if you sign off and do not start work straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

As was said above, you contribution history will be incomplete if you sign off and don't take up employment straight away, but you can always claim credited contributions to bridge the gap. If you wish to do this, just advise your Local Office that you want to "Sign for Credits" and they'll arrange same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

2top wrote: »
    I've been benefit for some time now and I'm hoping to begin employment soon but I'm actually sick of receiving payments/signing on and can survive for a few months without this. Will any questions be asked if I just close my claim? I see there's an option to do this online, would it be best to put down 'other' as the reason?

Other posters have replied outlining the important need to continue signing for credits after you sign off and while awaiting employment. Be wary though of signing off just in the hopes of getting employment because, in the present recession, it is taking much longer to pin down the all important job. You mention that you could survive for a few months without SW payments but savings can dwindle very quickly, especially if unforeseen expenses crop up. The process of signing on and collecting the SW payments is uncomfortable for most and total misery for some but don't let that be your sole reason for signing off. I don't know anything of your particular circumstances beyond what you've shared, but would really recommend availing of the payments to tide you over until employment is secured again. When it is, there are many ways of giving back, through the Saint Vincent de Paul etc., should you so choose. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 2top

You can close your claim ant time you like.Be aware that your stamp history will not be complete if you sign off and do not start work straight away.

What do you mean by my stamp history? Is it a problem if there's a gap?
    As was said above, you contribution history will be incomplete if you sign off and don't take up employment straight away, but you can always claim credited contributions to bridge the gap. If you wish to do this, just advise your Local Office that you want to "Sign for Credits" and they'll arrange same.

What's the significance of signing for credits? Do they ask you any questions as to why you're not looking for allowance or do they just let you sign for credits and leave it at that?

Thanks Balagan (deccurley and mp22) - I appreciate these posts. There's an option to close the claim by saying 'Leaving the country' - could I not select that and say that I'm going abroad for a month? Or does that further complicate matters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

• Advertisement

Thanks. So if I was to go in to the local office on Monday and state that I didn't want JSA and instead wanted to sign for credited contributions would they be asking why I'm deciding to do this? Is it uncommon for someone not to want to go on JSA after being on benefit??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

It would be rare enough for someone not to sign on for JSA after their Jsb finished,but if you feel that you can manage without benefits fair play.
    The social probably will ask why you don't want JSA.

Well there's the option online to fill in a form to close my claim, so would they be that bothered about asking? Could I not just say that I intend on travelling/moving back home for a few weeks/months etc (which is a strong possibility)?

Ok, say I ended the JSB, closed my claim for JSA and then a month or two later decided to apply for JSA if things weren't going as planned - would there be any problem doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It is very important not to close your claim as each week you sign on counts towards your state pension. You need a certain number of stamps per year to get a state pension so you don't want any blanks which can't be explained by signing/working/traveling.
    I know that signing on is a pain. I would advise you to keep your savings until you get a job.
    When you start a job you may need to get some new work clothes, shoes ect.
    When you get a job you will sign off but you may have a few weeks when before you get paid.
    You will also have expense of work ie getting suitable work clothes ect.

Thanks wise woman. So you recommend signing for the credited contributions at least? Can I do that and then decide to apply for JSA at a later date?

• Advertisement

Anyone?

Also, will Social Welfare be that bothered - I don't see what the issue is with someone wanting to sign for credits, surely that's a good thing for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

I looked up under credited social welfare contributions in citizen information.ie

You can sign on for credits, if you are not entitled to a social welfare payment or you are qualified adult on your spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's social welfare payment as long as you:

Are unemployed
    Available and capable of work
    Genuinely seeking work
    Have paid or credited PRSI contributions in either of the last two tax years
    You can also sign on for credits if you are on strike from work. You must sign on for credits in your Social Welfare Local Office

Since you are getting a social welfare payment already you don't qualify for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

2top wrote: »
    Anyone?

Also, will Social Welfare be that bothered - I don't see what the issue is with someone wanting to sign for credits, surely that's a good thing for them?
    look your best bet in this case is to go into your local office and explain yourself to them. yes its not very common for people to sign off for no good reason but if you explain you think you have the means to support yourself untill you find a job it wont be a problem you are in no way obliged to sign on if you dont want to. double check and make sure you cant sign for credits dont just go on the advice of someone on a forum because it is important to keep your stamps up to date. and no its not a problem to close a claim and re-open it later if your savings run down. it does mean an extra bit of work for someone so dont close it down then come in the next day and re-open it. at the very least if you decide to keep signing on but dont want the money your perfectly entitled to forward it on to a charity service. the only thing is if you do have fairly significant savings you may not qualify for JA in the first place

Advertisement