Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American gf coming to Ireland

Options
  • 23-11-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi all,

As the title says, my American gf is coming here in December for a few months maybe longer, Im just wondering about costs of Insulin and possible check-ups? All depend on her Personal Insurance?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Sorry should have stated she is a Type 1 Diabetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Diabetic medication is covered under the long term illness scheme. It isn't social welfare as such, any diabetic who is ordinarily resident in the state and has a PPS number is entitled to their medication for free regardless of their income level. So i'm afraid i've no idea how much it costs to actually buy it. If you called into a pharmacist they might be able to advise? If your girlfriend is only going to be here for a few months, could she bring supplies with her? I'm no expert, but i think that the measurements etc used in America are different to here, so if it's only temporary, it may be easier to stick with what she knows?

In relation to checkups - again under the public health care system, hospital appointments are free of charge. If you see an endocrinologist privately it's around 150 per visit (depends on the consultant). Blood tests would be extra if you are going private. It's around 35 euro for a HBa1C test.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The blood glucose measurements are different in the US from the rest of the world, so she should certainly try and bring enough supplies of test strips over with her if she can. You don't want to be trying to get your head around the change in measurement scale if you can help it.

I think that the standard strength of insulin itself in the US is the same as you'd get in Europe, some place do use different strengths though. Should check what brands she is using in the US and if the same ones are available here. If it's only for three months then if she can get that much supplies on her insurance before coming over then certainly do that. It will last that long no problem, just make sure it does not go in the hold baggage on the flight over.

Not sure what the costs to buy would be, but it cost me a few hundred New Zealand Dollars when I needed some extra insulin supplies down there towards the end of a 4 month trip a few years ago, and there is some sharing of costs between Ireland/ NZ for their citizens needing prescriptions abroard. Don't think there would be a similar thing with the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

DJW11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

As the title says, my American gf is coming here in December for a few months maybe longer, Im just wondering about costs of Insulin and possible check-ups? All depend on her Personal Insurance?

Thanks

Be ready to sell this country BIG time if you want her to stay. Once she experiences our healthcare system she will run a mile.

The only reason I'm still here in Ireland is to be nearer to family and the fact that I don't have any diabetes complications, so far.

I have nothing but praise for the US healthcare system, especially in Minnesota, and the support and education they provide.

Maybe the free insulin and supplies will be enough to make her want to stay?

Advertisement