Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pupil Teacher Ratio in budget 2011

• 23-11-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I have heard of a few possible outcomes -

1) That the PTR goes from 19:1 to 20:1 and so we lose teachers

2) That it won't happen in this budget but probably will down the line

3) That the PTR will go up but only in the private schools because they can offset any lost teachers by hiring some on school pay.

What do you think will happen/what rumours have you heard?

I'm specifically interested because if the PTR goes up, I probably won't get my CID :-(

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Possibly up by three, INTO says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hmm, your school might use this as reasonable grounds to not give you a CID next year (if your into your 5th year at Sept 2012 i'm assuming),, but in saying that they can't hire someone else to do 'your' hours subsequently....but finding out that when you've left the school is fairly tricky,,

They'll probably raise the PTR by 1 ... given that in a few years time there will be a 'student population boom crisis extravaganza' , so they will have to be seen to do something about it.. i.e. lower the PTR then...

+ more down the line of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

I suspect lots of us have wondered about this recently.

I tend to believe the report in last Saturday's Irish Times that there will be a two point increase in fee paying schools, so 22:1 there. They have to be seen to penalise 'the rich' more. Politics is all about the perception of fairness after all!

Sadly the lack of debate and gnashing of teeth regarding the threat to increase the ratio in general makes it more likely that it will go up in state schools as well. However, I think a couple of things are possible here. It might go up by less than 1 or there might be a move to protect DEIS schools. The Government is talking a lot about protecting the most vulnerable so safeguarding education in disadvantaged areas would seem to be a way of doing that.

Whatever happens, no teacher, at least in a state school, should be panicking about their own job on budget day. Retirements will cancel out many of the possible job losses. If your school's enrollment is increasing that would also help. If you're teaching a core or indeed compulsory subject, you are much less likely to be affected. Schools will only be able to begin planning for next year with any certainty when they receive their first allocation in February. In the meantime, everyone's entitled to a relaxing Christmas:)

Advertisement