Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering a sim free phone from Amazon; some questions...

Options
  • 23-11-2011 11:22pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm thinking of treating myself to a new phone. I'm eligible for an upgrade with Vodafone but they are saying I can't get a true upgrade to my Samsung Tocco without at least doubling my monthly bill :(

As such, I'm thinking of just buying a sim-free smartphone on Amazon.co.uk. But I got some questions...

1. Will I just be able to transfer my sim card from my current phone to the new phone? Is it standard sim cards accross the board?

2. Will an "English" phone from Amazon work ok in Ireland? It depends on your sim card, right?

3. Smartphones from Amazon are safe, right? The stores are credible? I'd buy through Vodafone, but they are intent on making me upgrade and don't seem interested in just letting me buy myself a new phone :mad: Has anyone experience shopping on Amazon for smartphones?

Thanks guys; I know those are noobish questions but better safe than sorry; I'd rather ask than get my new phone and find its a £300 paperweight :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well I have been watching the sim-free phones on Amazon for nigh on 6 months. IMHO there's just as good value available here. The Android phones are all easily unlocked and you can also get rid of the bloatware easily enough as well. Have a good look at the Android forum. This is the run-up to Xmas & all the networks are pulling out all the stops to gain market share. The phones on offer are a huge improvement on what was available in recent years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

See, its this talk of unlocking and software that confuses and worries me :S

As for Irish sites, I know its stupid but I trust Amazon since I use them frequently. I worry if something went wrong with a phone I'd got off a random Irish site, I'd be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

There's a sim free ZTE Skate up on Amazon's Black Friday deals in a couple of minutes.

Advertisement