Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Technology-Leaving Cert.

• 23-11-2011 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys, Just wondering does anyone here know what is needed for music technology for Leaving cert practical?
    I plan on doing 4 violin pieces so I was wondering should I do music tech or the extra 2 violin pieces or do 4 clarinet pieces aswell??
    I have heard everywhere that music tech is incredibly easy but I do music outside school so I don't know ANYTHING about Music tech at all!!! :L
    I have already used some music software before for personal stuff ( Finale 2011 and Play Music Demo ) but I really don't know what is involved at all in the tech part??
    Do you have to bring a piece to copy in with you or does the examiner give you that and what else is involved??? :L

Thanks in Advance,

ChemHickey////

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Anyone know ANYTHING??? Pleeeassse? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Music technology you've to be able to input some music into Finale or whatever programme you're using. You've to be able to do 3 edits to a piece you've already saved. (as far as I know you've these edits planned in advance) Then produce your score of the music. That's the jist of it anyways I'm sure you'd find some more information elsewhere!

If you've like to do 6 violin pieces you can do that too but I think it's marked a little harder than if you done 4 and 4 or 4 and music technology!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

If you're doing it outside of school, then you'll probably have to make sure that wherever you'll be doing your practical is actually equipped to do music technology, i.e. that they have music technology software that you can use. You bring in your own piece, so you can have it prepared long beforehand. The one we all use in school has 4 parts, piccolo, flute, oboe and bassoon. Our teacher says you only really need to know the first line of each instrument, as that's all they'll ask you to do. We haven't really done the edits part yet, we've just been practising inputting the notes and doing it quickly and accurately, so I can't really advise on much more, but that's basically it!

Alright, Thanks guys!!Thats more help than I got from websites etc... I'll have to talk to my teacher on saturday ( she couldnt go last week) and I'll ask her opinion and see what i'll do from there!

So you say they mark 6 pieces on one instrument harder?? :/ Oh no... that'll be bad if can't do tech.... I might just have to do clarinet too then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Alright, Thanks guys!!Thats more help than I got from websites etc... I'll have to talk to my teacher on saturday ( she couldnt go last week) and I'll ask her opinion and see what i'll do from there!

So you say they mark 6 pieces on one instrument harder?? :/ Oh no... that'll be bad if can't do tech.... I might just have to do clarinet too then..
    I'm not 100% sure, my music teacher outside of school told me they mark it a bit harder because its your only performance so you're expected to have a greater understanding? This could be entirely wrong though so dont take this into account when making your decision.
    My feelings on the 6 pieces is you've nothing to fall back on if it doesn't go well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

M&S* wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure, my music teacher outside of school told me they mark it a bit harder because its your only performance so you're expected to have a greater understanding? This could be entirely wrong though so dont take this into account when making your decision.
    My feelings on the 6 pieces is you've nothing to fall back on if it doesn't go well!

6 pieces is not marked any harder, just 2 extra pieces for you to make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

I did four pieces and music tech for my practical. Easiest marks going, do it!
    If you're at all handy with computers you pick it up in minutes. Considering the amount of time I spent working on just 4 intricate pieces to play, music tech was an easy choice an there was feck all work involved.
    Basic music theory, a laptop with some notation software, which your school may supply, is all you need really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

If you have any grasp on composition software at all you'll find it easy enough to get full marks. Most of it is prepared beforehand. Probably a good idea to do a lot of the input via the keyboard as it's faster so know your shortcuts for note value, entering notes, etc.

Cool, thanks everyone. I was talking to my teacher earlier and she said she's not doing it with us because we don't have the facilities so I think I might get like 1 or 2 grinds with one of the music teachers in the schools in my town so I can ddo it in the real exam ( it'd probably be in the school where I'd take my practical too).. 4 pieces would be a lot easier than 6 anyway!!! :L Thanks for the help!!!:pac::pac::pac:

Hello again peoples....

My music teacher said that she can't do music tech with us as we dont have the facilities outside school to do it so if anyone has any pieces for the technology part or a link to the software used would you mind PM-ing me it or forwarding me it if ye dont mind??? I'll be happy to help anyone out with any other notes on some subjects I can if so?

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Spouch

There's a book of examples called "Notes" (it's the tech workbook) by Higgins.

You can bring your own laptop into exam and youpick piece not examiner. Make sure all your edits are musical and make musical sense.

Also good overview of req here. (Not so much tech but prctical and other areas of course.)

Spouch wrote: »
    There's a book of examples called "Notes" (it's the tech workbook) by Higgins.

You can bring your own laptop into exam and youpick piece not examiner. Make sure all your edits are musical and make musical sense.

Also good overview of req here. (Not so much tech but prctical and other areas of course.)

Hey spouch, thanks for that link, looks great! I have decided now that I'll just do 6 violin pieces... my mum and dad said that I shouldn't be doing something I don't know anything about and that there's no facility for for me! I kind of agree with them.... but still, 6 pieces is quite a lot! Thanks for the link again... she seems to know what she's talking about!!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

sorry to drag up this thread but i didnt think i needed a new one, see the way u do 3 musical edits, do u pick the edits urself, or does the examiner tell you what you have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

if memory serves me correctly, the examiner will tell you what three edits to make. It was really basic stuff such as make a note sharp, copy/ paste a chord etc. etc.

checkcheek wrote: »
    sorry to drag up this thread but i didnt think i needed a new one, see the way u do 3 musical edits, do u pick the edits urself, or does the examiner tell you what you have to do

You choose the edits. They must make musical sense though and you tell the examiner which ones you are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tommccauley

For music technology for the leaving cert do you need to write the piece and do 3 edits in 10 minutes or do you have the piece already written beforehand and you've to do 3 edits to that piece in 10 minutes?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Moved from Creative Writing to Leaving Cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

For music technology for the leaving cert do you need to write the piece and do 3 edits in 10 minutes or do you have the piece already written beforehand and you've to do 3 edits to that piece in 10 minutes?
    Em, the 3 edits (key, tempo, dynamics) take about 40 seconds to do each of them.

You get up to 15 minutes to do the Piece, 3 edits, save it, close it, retrieve it and demonstrate how to print it.

It's the handiest marks you'll get in the L.C. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 abbevilleson

Hey
    Had my practical yesterday... I did 4 singing and technology... I realsied when i was doing my edits to the technology i transposed it from Bb to C and it went down the octave meaning it was out of range for a descant recorder... Do ye think ill lose many marks for this??

Maybe the examiner may not have noticed!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement