Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem at work help

Options
  • 23-11-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Right the thing is my dh is working for a company and he is crumbling under pressure, they have him working long hours placing Hugh demands on him for example today wil insist they want work to b done such a way with x amount of staff so he does it all be it with difficulty,then next day they will want more work done with less staff and over last year work load has quadrupled and his staff level has bn 1/2 even 1/4 he is really suffering with it,
    he is stressed out all the time lately, he had ulcer problems few years back when he was self employed as a builder and work started getting scarce, so he finished it up and retrained and got current job, but I can see him slipping back into stressed depressed state if stays where he is ,
    I'm currently self employed and business is ticking over, good as can be expected in current climate ! but family life is suffering, we have 3 young kids and they are starting to suffer from the lack of structure and starting to feel the stress off dh and they are spending a lot of time with me in work as can't justify childcare costs.
    so at this moment in time we are thinking that if he left his job took few months at home to rethink career options and spend some time with kids and just re evaluate our lives right now.
    now please don't loss the plot with my for following question but is there a way for dh to leave work and claim some welfare? he has paid tax for years has only spent about 3 wks in his adult life claiming any welfare I have also always paid tax and only got state maternity leave on first child and nothing for the next 2 children we also never got any social help when I was off with kids(2yrs) we never looked for any as he was making good money and we had chosenfor me to be at home,
    I have bn self employed since third child was 5 months and having paid taxes n Prsi all the time can someone please tell my what we can do pm me if suits better.
    I just don't no where else to go for real advice r help with this,the last time things got this stressed for dh it really affected our relationship we very nearly split up as he couldn't deal with the stress of it and we were only newly married and had small baby and another on the way at the time, so when I see him feeling this way again I want to try come up wit a feasible option for us, we have worked really hard to rebuild our marriage and don't want to go backwards again.
    We have learnt the hard way that not talking openly n honestly doesn't work so this time we have talked about all options we can think of.
    I suggested he take sick leave from work but he won't do that as it only puts more pressure on those still there because if on sick leave he wont b replaced whereas if leaves he will be, he has also talked to boss about the workload plus several other issues with constant roster changes with little to no notice, and several others issues but nothing his boss can do for him!!

I'm so sorry for going on so long and probably making little to no sense but thank you in advance for any advice r help anyone can give me!!!!!
    One thing we do know is it is not healthy physically r mentally for him or our family for him to remain working there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Not being smart

Any chance you can add a few paragraphs
    Help us to help you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Also no text speak!! My eyes!! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Stress is a real and valid reason for sick-leave. It's the kind of thing that can easily escalate to something more serious if ignored. However, there is currently no legal responsibility for the company to pay during this period.

I, personally, have no moral qualms in someone addressing stress in work by taking leave. I, equally, have no qualms in the social welfare system assisting in this. However, one thing to bear in mind is that going on welfare for anything but the shortest time can present bigger problems than it solves, vis re-employment.

He can certainly claim welfare. The route taken is what will determine what form and amount this will be. He could take temporary sick leave, full unemployment, or unemployment for medical reasons. The decision which way to go is something you'd need to discuss with him, his employer, your doctor, and the department of SW.

I don't know the company in question's structure, but if there is a HR department, the concerns and issues should be addressed in writing, with a follow-up meeting to discuss. In the absence of a HR department. These issues should be addressed in a similar manner with the company management.

WRT, his concern for pressure on others. That's honourable and all, but he needs to prioritise his own well-being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

If you have an issue with a post or poster can you report it rather than commenting on thread.

Be aware that off-topic and unhelpful posting can earn you a ban from this forum.

If you haven't already done so, please take the time to read the [URL=" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056181484"]forum rules[/URL] in the charter.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 giz1

Thanks gerryk for response he has tried talking to boss and there nothing he can do for him so he is going to leave just how to go about it and still get some sort of welfare to keep him going he has no intention of staying on welfare long be max 9 months until our youngest starts primary but if something came up before that he would defiantly take it it's just how to go the right way about getting some sort of assistance when he leaves he knows his current employer won't help him in any and wil make things very difficult for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

best way to deal with this situation is get your other half (OH) to visit the doctor - if he is struggling to deal with the stress of work (and maybe has depression) he needs to talk with his boss and a doctor.

its possible that your OH is not capable of hard work or a heavy workload - most people today are forced with extra workloads due to staff shortages as cost cutting measures.

Anyway - talking to his boss and a doctor an arrangement of less work time or less workload may be possible - failure to do that if he cannot deal with the workload his boss has the option of letting him go in which case he should qualify for Unemployment Allowance/Benefit* ... or the doctor can arrange stress leave and claim disability benefit for stress related work problems.

* = if he was previously self employed he may not be able to claim or payments may stop after a year or even less - its something you need to discuss with local community welfare officer.

Take a look here for the options that are open to you with regards to SW ->
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

Or here ->

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

And here ->

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/claiming_and_increase_in_your_payment_for_a_child_dependant.html

During his time unemployed, assuming he goes that route, make sure he takes advantage of the re-education schemes available. Also, make sure you have your story straight wrt a 9 month hole in his employment history.

Hi it's no that he has a problem with hard work far from it he started as regular staff member for company 2 yrs ago n got promoted to management within a year as was always going above n beyond call of duty he has always bn a very dedicated worker and no employer or staff member has every accused him of not been fit to work he always gives 110%, always early into work and always last to leave, probably why they kept loading him with work and are now a bit shocked that he is no longer taking all the abuse off them. he sees other bearly doing their work and getting nice hours to work and never getting messed around like he is. Has tried discussing it with his boss but boss says I know u working hard but nothing I can do for you although that same boss has screwed him over several times in relation to holidays and expenses owed! So he just wants out of the toxic environment he is currently in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Hey OP,

Please don't make life decisions based on third hand information. Your husband cannot claim Jobseekers Allowance or Benefit if he voluntarily gives up his job, he will be disqualified for some months. If he leaves due to stress as certified by his Dr he may be elibable for illness benefit/allowance. He really needs to go to the Dr, tell him of his mental and physical stress and get everything documented. If he gives up his job without going through the correct procedures he's going to be without money for quite a while. You could also be eligable for FIS (family income supplement) if he gets onto a SW payment.

The main this here is to do things correctly, i.e. keep evidence, go to the Dr and get certified sick. Do not under any circumstances rely soley on info from some guy in a pub, anyone here (me included) or even the citizens info centre (they get things wrong a surprising amount of times). The main thing here is that at the end of the day your husband is suffering from stress. That is a valid reason to take a leave of absence from work and may make his employers cop on, his priority should be you and the kids, not his colleauges. So yeah don't go off half cocked with guesswork information. Do the following:

- Husband go to Dr and follow his advice
    - Get EVERYTHING documented.
    - If Dr advises he leave work due to stress he will give him medical certs, send them in to SW and get payment on Illness Benefit/Allowance, one goes by PRSI contributions paid, the other isn't and is means tested.
    - Follow the Dr's orders, if that is to quit work, he should do so but again absolutely everything must be documented.
    - Call into your Local Social Welfare Office and ask to speak to someone about your entitlements, bring photo ID & proof of address. They will be able to tell you what your entitlements are.

Best of luck.

^
    Good advice. I should have prepended my suggestion with something like this also.
    Do not under any circumstances rely soley on info from some guy in a pub, anyone here (me included) or even the citizens info centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Start actively looking for a new job.

Once you make the decision to leave ,there is a light at the end of the tunnel ,you will be amazed at how stress can start to fall away.

Set the hours your willing to work (obviously at least at your contract rate) and do your best in this timeframe.
    Concentrate your energy on getting the next opportunity there is no need to stress as this job is no longer your future

Trying to construct a way out that gets you on the dole is foolish. You could be years out of work when on the dole.
    You will always be a less attractive candidate for any real job than somebody in work and if you went "on the sick" from your last job or were essentially fired ,many firms would not take the risk in hiring you in the future.
    As it stands your CV would suggest you’re a quite risky candidate with a failed business and a firing back to back on it.

Sorry if it seems harsh ,but thats the reality of it.

Again I will emphasise once you make the decision to actively leave -I am sure things will look and feel less stressfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

gerryk wrote: »
    Stress is a real and valid reason for sick-leave.

Sort of. It's a symptom of something else; which may indeed render you unable to work. But it's not considered a sickness in its own right. It will not be accepted on a sick note in a lot of companies.

Also OP - bear in mind that you can actually be let go if your sickness means that you are unable to fulfil your duties. This is regardless of whether you have a sick note from a doctor or not. It might not be easy for a company to do, but it is important to remember that a sick note does not protect you 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

giz1, please don't post your thread in multiple forums across the site.

I'm sending this one over to Work and Jobs to be merged with the thread you started there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks, threads merged.

Thanks for that meant to ask could it b moved over it was after I posted it first discovered that the work forum was better choice sorry again

Advertisement