Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opening ulster bank account

• 23-11-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Recently i tried to open an ulster bank account with my passport but they refused to look at my passport as ID because it had expired. But isnt it still a form of ID?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If it's out of date, not really.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It has to be a 'current' form of ID, so it has to be in date at the time the account is opened. The only exception to this I've ever seen is when a customer came into a branch where I worked and he'd just started a new job but didn't have an account and the company would only pay into a bank account. He was due to be paid that week and he needed the money badly. His passport was out of date by a week, literally 7 days, so the manager agreed to open the account on the condition that he brought the new passport in when he got it or his current driving licence. He was given a letter on opening the account that stated that if he didn't produce either the passport or driving licence within 30 days his account would be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

To override the system and accept out of date ID requires sign off from various dept. So if it's not urgent the branch manager ain't going to do it for you in and in most cases it's just simply refused.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bob Z wrote: »
    But isnt it still a form of ID?

Nope,
    It wouldn't be accepted by a new employer as form of ID, any airline, Gardai or in this case banks. You'll need a in date passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Cabaal wrote: »
    Nope,
    It wouldn't be accepted by a new employer as form of ID, any airline, Gardai or in this case banks. You'll need a in date passport.

Correct

How about a driving licence, surely you have one of those ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Correct

How about a driving licence, surely you have one of those ?

I may be wrong but I think you need two forms of ID,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

They sometimes accept the register of electors as proof of address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

They do accept register of elections as proof of address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lobbas

Does the paper you get with your PPS-Number count as proof of adress? Or how am I supposed to get one? I just moved here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Banks are going completely OTT in relation to ID as the regulator is coming down heavy on them re AML compliance

I know of one bank that closed customers deposit accounts because they were not AML compliant, despite being written to on a number of occasions requesting further ID etc. (They were old accounts predating the current regulations)

I tried to open an account with EBS recently and all seemed fine until I tried to lodge money by credit transfer to the account and it was bounced back - turns out the post account-opening AML checks by their compliance people froze the account as the photocopy of my drivers license that I had given them was missing about a third of a character on the left side!!

..and its this kind of story that scares the life out of them:
    http://www.centralbank.ie/press-area/press-releases/Documents/Settlement%20Agreement%20between%20the%20Central%20Bank%20of%20Ireland%20and%20Combined%20Insurance%20Company%20of%20Europe%20Limited.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I opened an account with Ulster Bank (online, not via branch) not 5 months ago, and I wasn't asked to provide any form of identification other my PPSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭rgossip30

homer911 wrote: »
    Banks are going completely OTT in relation to ID as the regulator is coming down heavy on them re AML compliance

I know of one bank that closed customers deposit accounts because they were not AML compliant, despite being written to on a number of occasions requesting further ID etc. (They were old accounts predating the current regulations)

I tried to open an account with EBS recently and all seemed fine until I tried to lodge money by credit transfer to the account and it was bounced back - turns out the post account-opening AML checks by their compliance people froze the account as the photocopy of my drivers license that I had given them was missing about a third of a character on the left side!!

..and its this kind of story that scares the life out of them:
    http://www.centralbank.ie/press-area/press-releases/Documents/Settlement%20Agreement%20between%20the%20Central%20Bank%20of%20Ireland%20and%20Combined%20Insurance%20Company%20of%20Europe%20Limited.pdf

I have an account with the EBS over 20 years . I was asked quite sternly to provide PPS and proof of address . The staff there although changed some have a lot of personal info and I do not feel its private . I just keep a small amount of money there for this reason . There is more privacy in the Ulster Bank .

Advertisement