Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barts Ballycotton Sub 60

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭kaymin

. anyone here doing the aware 5 mile? id be glad of some company!

Might be doing the Aware 5 mile - should be a good race! What's your target time? I'll be aiming for a few seconds under 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

kaymin wrote: »
    Might be doing the Aware 5 mile - should be a good race! What's your target time? I'll be aiming for a few seconds under 30 minutes.

i dont think i am able for sub 30 right now, will probably try for 6:05mm, the closing date was yesterday so i hope you got your entry in!

had a stomach bug monday, and still didnt feel good enough to do a session on tuesday so just did 6 slow miles at 8:30mm, did 7 miles today with 4 x 1 mile, i decided that i would take 2:30 as recovery for this session, id prefer work harder on saturday in the race than today, i did the first 3 at 6:08, 6:08, 6:08 these were not too bad at all, and the extra recovery made it feel like i was always in control, i did this session beside the river so the miles were flat and with only a little wind, nice cool day, i love running sessions in the cold, i decided to do the last one a bit slower 6:18, just because i know saturday is going to be very hard for me, i know im not going to get sub 30 on saturday, and im a bit pissed off about that because that would have being a marker that i would want 13 weeks out from BC, but one thing i know is running is about having some patience(hopefully il get a improvement jump at some stage)

Tuesday
    6m recovery

Wednesday
    7.2m with 4x1 mile 6:08 6:08 6:08 6:18 (2:30 jogs)

PS i think ive figured out who NoGuts is! :) .....if im right....best of luck in waterford on saturday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

i know im not going to get sub 30 on saturday, and im a bit pissed off about that because that would have being a marker that i would want 13 weeks out from BC, but one thing i know is running is about having some patience(hopefully il get a improvement jump at some stage)
    dont rule it out , you did 4 good mile reps on the back of a stomach bug. Those stomach bugs really can knock you out and stay in the system for a good few days after ,even though you might feel fine in your day to day activities . They only come to the surface when you put the body under extra stress like with a hard run session . You gonna give the sub 30 a go ? whats at stake if you dont make it ? whats the gain if you go sub 30 ?

Seres wrote: »
    dont rule it out , you did 4 good mile reps on the back of a stomach bug. Those stomach bugs really can knock you out and stay in the system for a good few days after ,even though you might feel fine in your day to day activities . They only come to the surface when you put the body under extra stress like with a hard run session . You gonna give the sub 30 a go ? whats at stake if you dont make it ? whats the gain if you go sub 30 ?

well when i put my marathon time into mcmillian i got 30:32 for 5 mile, and also taking into account that i have not trained for 5 miles, thats kinda what im going on and last weeks sessions also, no im not going to go for it, im going to go for 6:05mm, and il be happy to work on that if i get it.
    i suppose there is nothing really at stake either way seres, but i know its not on, id fancy 4 miles in sub 24, but not 5 in sub 30 right now.
    i may check out what the course is like! hope its fairly flat

• Advertisement

well when i put my marathon time into mcmillian i got 30:32 for 5 mile, and also taking into account that i have not trained for 5 miles, thats kinda what im going on and last weeks sessions also, no im not going to go for it, im going to go for 6:05mm, and il be happy to work on that if i get it.
    i suppose there is nothing really at stake either way seres, but i know its not on, id fancy 4 miles in sub 24, but not 5 in sub 30 right now.
    i may check out what the course is like! hope its fairly flat

Its up to yourself of course but last year i ran 30.33 for 5miles when i was training for sub 90 Half marathon time . Your times are far better than mine were then . I never would have run 3 hrs for a marathon despite gettin a 30.33 time for 5 miles !

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

Bart .. have a go at sub 30 and if it works out then fantastic. better to have tried than finish up in 31 and feel like there was more in the tank.. its only a 30 minute run to gauge fitness, it will make no real difference to your performance in BC.. the drink will do you more harm in the long run....!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Bart .. have a go at sub 30 and if it works out then fantastic. better to have tried than finish up in 31 and feel like there was more in the tank.. its only a 30 minute run to gauge fitness, it will make no real difference to your performance in BC.. the drink will do you more harm in the long run....!!
    Bart i reckon you have this lad worried. :D:D

Its up to yourself of course but last year i ran 30.33 for 5miles when i was training for sub 90 Half marathon time . Your times are far better than mine were then . I never would have run 3 hrs for a marathon despite gettin a 30.33 time for 5 miles !

id say ya would have, i have only ever done about 5 10k races, and never did a proper 5k, and i trained for 2 ballycottons, all my big races have being marathons and HM during the marathon training, shorter races scare the bejesus out of me and i find them harder! hopefully after this training i wont be intimidated by them as much, you did it the right way and moved from shorter distances to longer distances, im doing it backwards :) , also you have a good bit more talent than i do, so your shorter stuff will be good.,
    but if for some reason im feeling realy fresh after two 6:05s i might step it up on saturday!......your my scapegoat if i blow up:D

id say ya would have, i have only ever done about 5 10k races, and never did a proper 5k, and i trained for 2 ballycottons, all my big races have being marathons and HM during the marathon training, shorter races scare the bejesus out of me and i find them harder! hopefully after this training i wont be intimidated by them as much, you did it the right way and moved from shorter distances to longer distances, im doing it backwards :) , also you have a good bit more talent than i do, so your shorter stuff will be good.,
    but if for some reason im feeling realy fresh after two 6:05s i might step it up on saturday!......your my scapegoat if i blow up:D
    Dude , this is the price you pay for startin a log, 24h heckling !:D , that above quote is screaming excuses !, now you dont want a chick tellin you to
    have some guts and go for it :D . Ill be happy to be your scape goat if you go for it !

• Advertisement

Dude , this is the price you pay for startin a log, 24h heckling !:D , that above quote is screaming excuses !, now you dont want a chick tellin you to
    have some guts and go for it :D . Ill be happy to be your scape goat if you go for it !
    Bart is your regular chicken ****. Afraid to push it out. I told you 2 weeks before Dublin you would break 3 hours and told others weeks before that. You have hte speed. I will be shocked if you dont break 30 min. But if you want ot be a woman about it go on hte beer friday night smoke 20 fags and stay in bed. If you want ot be a windy ****e you aint the man I believe you are. Change the log to breaking 62 in Ballycotton.

ahhhh...... stop putting painful ideas in my head........i think il decide that morning! and it Operation Moderation with regard to drink.

Bart is your regular chicken ****. Afraid to push it out. I told you 2 weeks before Dublin you would break 3 hours and told others weeks before that. You have hte speed. I will be shocked if you dont break 30 min. But if you want ot be a woman about it go on hte beer friday night smoke 20 fags and stay in bed. If you want ot be a windy ****e you aint the man I believe you are. Change the log to breaking 62 in Ballycotton.

!!!!!!!jesus!!!!!!! i think il take up weightlifting instead, i thought they had it bad with lads shouting at them...but your worse!:D

Your gettin an awful grilling in your own log , maybe its time to lay down the law in here ! Sure youll know on the day what your up too .

bart .. only done 5 10k races.. where have you been hiding??? loads of local 10kms .. best of luck with the sub 30 ..... anything else is a failure... and why aren't you doing the waterford half.. a nice long hard run would do you the world of good.. sub 82...

Bart i reckon you have this lad worried. :D:D

worried my arse...... and thats all you will been seeing for a long time!!!!:D:D

bart .. only done 5 10k races.. where have you been hiding??? loads of local 10kms .. best of luck with the sub 30 ..... anything else is a failure... and why aren't you doing the waterford half.. a nice long hard run would do you the world of good.. sub 82...
    yeah last year i did
    dungarvan 10k blew up on that
    tramore 10k...very tough 10k
    piltown 10k 40:38
    portarlington 10k 39:24

this year i did
    Piltown 10k 39:08

i did a time trial before the marathon up in scanlon in 38:27
    but thats pretty much it, i have done a good few of the smithwicks races alright....which reminds me i did beat village runner in one of those 5 or 6 milers back in 2008:D.....but there was a lot more of him to beat back then!....if he starts back on the purple snack bars i might get him again:D

im not doing the waterford half because its slower than BC race pace...and all my running this year is slower than BC race pace, have to get used to the faster stuff.
    good luck tomorrow

Your gettin an awful grilling in your own log , maybe its time to lay down the law in here ! Sure youll know on the day what your up too .
    One can get lucky and break 3 once as no guts no glory knows.
    Bart knows i wouldnt give a number if i didnt think he would get it. 29 sat.

you gonna go for broke tomorrow ? if you set yourself a tough target youll get alot more excited about the race .

you gonna go for broke tomorrow ? if you set yourself a tough target youll get alot more excited about the race .

yeah im going to go for it, kinda have to now! lol ....id be super delighted if i get it!

• Advertisement

yeah im going to go for it, kinda have to now! lol ....id be super delighted if i get it!
    Fantastic ! , thats the beauty of the logs , you gotta rise to the challenge . Its not about the result but the effort . If it make you feel any better i have a killer race comin up on sunday and i just have to go for it too !

One can get lucky and break 3 once as no guts no glory knows.
    Bart knows i wouldnt give a number if i didnt think he would get it. 29 sat.

As VR did knows i did 2.58.04 in my second marathon... i think it took him 8 attempts.. :D

Bart .. i reckon 29.45. :)

Saturday 10th of December

This was a very tough race, the morning was one of the coldest so far this year, id say it was about 1 degrees at the start, the race got delayed by 15 minutes to allow ice to melt on course, but i the only thing that 15 minute would do is make the participants cold on the start line....heading up to the start line at 9:30 i didnt notice much wind and i was happy thinking met eireann got it wrong....they didnt
    the race started on a narrow road and i lined up near the start, after the gun i did realise i was too near the start.
    the first and second mile wasnt too bad, and i came in under 12 minutes for those, there was a hill into a head wind on the third(i Think) i gritted my teeth a went up it at around 6ish pace, when i got to the top of the hill my heart rate was high too high, tried to get it back down through the bends but the next hill that came my way pushed the heart rate up again...i did the 3rd mile in 6:08....things were beginning to slip....on mile 4 my heart went through the roof on a hill and at one stage my garmin read 6:45....i knew my sub 30 was gone.....i thought about stopping...tried to get the breathing under control and i did with the aid of a little downhill section and got the 4 mile split down to 6:21.....mile 5 was downhill and i tucked in behind two guys that were running at 6:00mm, as the mile progressed the lads pushed it down to a little under 6:00mm...i started to feel a little bit better and my mission changed to beating my mc milllian equavalent from my marathon time, that was 30:32, when i turned that silly acute turn near the end i floored it to do the last mile in 5:47, and finished with a watch time of 30:16
    5:54
    6:01
    6:08
    6:21
    5:47
    cant say im too disappointed, when i enter that time in macmillian i wont find any distance that i have performed better at, so thats good.
    Deep down i didnt think i had a great chance of doing a sub 30, but now i think i do, a flat course and a calm day and il do it.

1 mile warm up
    4 mile cool down
    10 mile in total

that was a gutsy performance well done , you thought bout stoppin but you didnt , fair play to ya for reassessing your targets when you knew sub 30 was out , lot of people would give up . You well fit enough for sub 30 .

i forgot to log
    Thursday 8th 5 mile recovery
    Friday 9th 5 mile recovery

sunday 11th rest
    monday 12th 5 mile @7:00

i plan on doing a hard week this week, need to get some good work in
    if i can do 9 tomorrow
    a 8 miles session wednesday
    8 on thursday
    6 on friday
    8 mile sessiion on saturday
    and 15 on sunday.
    that would be 58 miles for the week id be happy enough if i could put down that.

Tuesday 13th dec

Was all set for 9 miles easy, and it started snowing outside, so i decided to go gym instead, but i hate doing easy miles on the threadmill because i find it so boring, i decided to do a session on it instead, i did 8 mile with 8 x 1000k @16k/hr(6:00mm) with 90 sec recovery, i was happy with this session and it felt right was not really hard like a race but i felt like i was working, i was tempted to incrase the pace a little but seen as i did an all out race last saturday i was happy enough, il be a little tougher on myself for the second session this week.

8 mile with 8 x 1000k @16k/hr(6:00mm) with 90 sec recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Based on 6:03 pace for 5mile, you should be able for 6:20 pace for 10miles if aerobically well developed. So that should be your current race training pace, or the equivalent effort. Plenty of time to bring that down between now and the big day but if you train at goal race pace rather than current race pace you might not do as well.

I think you'd want to be hitting 29 dead for 5miles by late January to be in with a shout of sub 60 at Ballycotton.

Based on 6:03 pace for 5mile, you should be able for 6:20 pace for 10miles if aerobically well developed. So that should be your current race training pace, or the equivalent effort. Plenty of time to bring that down between now and the big day but if you train at goal race pace rather than current race pace you might not do as well.

I think you'd want to be hitting 29 dead for 5miles by late January to be in with a shout of sub 60 at Ballycotton.

what pace do you think i should do for my easy runs?
    id definately do 6:20s for 10 mile, i was near that in april.
    do you think it would be okay to do a 5 mile time trial around 30/31st of december? i think i will be able to do 29:50 on the track if i can get somebody to pace me

il go with 6:18 as current race pace, will i just bring it down by a second or two each week?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

what pace do you think i should do for my easy runs?
    id definately do 6:20s for 10 mile, i was near that in april.
    do you think it would be okay to do a 5 mile time trial around 30/31st of december? i think i will be able to do 29:50 on the track if i can get somebody to pace me

il go with 6:18 as current race pace, will i just bring it down by a second or two each week?

Pace for easy runs, as easy as you like, the easier the better. I would think 7:50 at the fastest for you based in current fitness, 8:30 would be fine too.

6:18 should be okay for race pace efforts, but remember it's fine if it's a bit slower during big weeks or in bad wind, hilly route etc.

Don't think about increasing it every week. After your next race or time trial readjust if appropriate but not until then. I took 72s off a 10m time 5 weeks after another 10m race. So I went from 5:55 to 5:48 race pace in 5 weeks yet I never ran faster than 6:00 in a race pace session. It'll come but not if you force it. All about peaking on the big day, not being a training champion.

Time trial sounds good. Treat it like a race. With a good month you may be closer to 29:30.

• Advertisement

Pace for easy runs, as easy as you like, the easier the better. I would think 7:50 at the fastest for you based in current fitness, 8:30 would be fine too.

6:18 should be okay for race pace efforts, but remember it's fine if it's a bit slower during big weeks or in bad wind, hilly route etc.

Don't think about increasing it every week. After your next race or time trial readjust if appropriate but not until then. I took 72s off a 10m time 5 weeks after another 10m race. So I went from 5:55 to 5:48 race pace in 5 weeks yet I never ran faster than 6:00 in a race pace session. It'll come but not if you force it. All about peaking on the big day, not being a training champion.

Time trial sounds good. Treat it like a race. With a good month you may be closer to 29:30.

Thanks Larry, That sounds good il do that, i have being doing my easy runs between 7:50 and 8:30 anyway so wont change that. il see if i can rope a few lads like village runner and nogutsnoglory into a time trial over the xmas, yeah id be hoping that some of the sessions that i have done recently will be taking effect in the next few weeks.

Tuesday 13th DEC PM Hot yoga 1hr 45min
    first time trying the hot yoga, fairly hard, and ya sweat buckets! but i did stretches that i would never have bothered doing on my own so thats good, il do a few more different times of classes over the xmas and find the one i like best.

Advertisement