Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barts Ballycotton Sub 60

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

WHY re you running so slow ?

In my humble opinion, you can't do the easy runs too slow, only too fast. That includes the long runs at the moment when it is not a specific session to his target race (yet essential all the same).

Bart, do them as easy as you can, making sure you are running as aerobically as possible, at steady state at the lowest lactate levels possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

In my humble opinion, you can't do the easy runs too slow, only too fast. That includes the long runs at the moment when it is not a specific session to his target race (yet essential all the same).

Bart, do them as easy as you can, making sure you are running as aerobically as possible, at steady state at the lowest lactate levels possible.

just checked my diary there, i did seven 20 milers for the marathon, and the average run was 8:46, fastest at 8:05 and slowest at 9:05, looking back on it now i think the slow long runs helped me burn fat better, i didnt take any gels in training and took 9 in the marathon.
    the slow running has made me slow for shorter distances, i just hope all the sessions in the plan can quicken me up. i agree with you larry regarding paces, and i saved all tergats posts on my pc last year, was reading them recently, he had some great posts.

Thursday 22nd Dec
    7.5 mile @ 8:17 m/m hilly route

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

9 gels in the marathon..... and ya didnt take any in the training runs..that could have backfired on you... jezz ya must of been full at the end.. i cant believe anyone would need 9 gels ......

9 gels in the marathon..... and ya didnt take any in the training runs..that could have backfired on you... jezz ya must of been full at the end.. i cant believe anyone would need 9 gels ......

took two on the start line and one every 3 mile, yeah it could have backfired but i took high 5 gels in the previous two marathons and while training for them, and never had a problem so i was willing to take the risk, they didnt turn my stomach but the farts the next day turned a few peoples:D

Friday 23rd of Dec

5 miles @8:19m/m
    was out on the beer last night so just a trot tonight, session tomorrow

• Advertisement

Saturday 24th Dec

10 miles with 6 x 1 mile, 90 sec recovery
    6:18
    6:17

Happy Christmas everyone :) hope ye all have a good one!:D

Great consistency with the sessions, fair play, that's great stuff. You're giving yourself a great chance. Enjoy the Christmas but not too much :D Then back at it, hit the ground running in January so to speak.

Just noticed a major mistake here:

Week 14
    6m
    4x1k @ RP-20s
    6m with 2@6:00mm
    4m
    Rest
    3m
    Ballycotton 10 mile race
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

Last week should be:

6m
    4x1k @ 5k pace + 10-15s
    5m
    5-6m
    Rest
    3m
    Race

Just noticed a major mistake here:

Last week should be:

6m
    4x1k @ 5k pace + 10-15s
    5m
    5-6m
    Rest
    3m
    Race

Thanks Larry, ive being thinking, i dont really want to take a recovery week, as time is pretty tight and i think il need every week i can get, week 9 on the program is dungarvan, but im going to be at week 9 a week early, should i just do week 8 twice? or do week 10 before dungarvan and repeat a week later in the program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

great to see you got the session in today . Week went well for you , you stuck to the plan really well .

• Advertisement

Thanks Larry, ive being thinking, i dont really want to take a recovery week, as time is pretty tight and i think il need every week i can get, week 9 on the program is dungarvan, but im going to be at week 9 a week early, should i just do week 8 twice? or do week 10 before dungarvan and repeat a week later in the program?

You'll need to recover from Dungarvan. Last session before should be on the Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest and a bit easier than your tupical sessions. Then you shouldn't do anything hard till at least the Thursday after the race and that shouldn't be too stressful; not too fast or too long. So that will act as your down week.

You want to get the most out of Dungarvan in terms of a training effect and getting a gage of where you're at. So respect it.

Also you need to allow your body to absorb the training and replenish so the odd easier week is important, even if you don't feel you need them. But after a few weeks of the sessions you will appreciate a down week. Don't worry about time being tight. You've had a good December. 2 good blocks now (a few hard weeks then down week with race being 1 block) and you'll be sorted.

got out today for 7.5m @ 8:14m/m, but i a have a feeling that this one is an owe me one for the coming week :) still 60 miles for the week, happy with that :)

okay may get back on this log, i decided to take a recovery week this week, i had a few functions to go to and getting the recovery week out of the way this week was perfect as the lead in and out of dungarvan 10 will be a kinda recovery week and thats a month away, then il have my 3rd block to get ready for ballycotton

Monday 26th Dec
    5 mile @8:37

27th, 28th 29th Dec
    No running

Fri 30th Dec
    8 mile @7:50

Sat 31st Dec
    16 mile @8:34

Sun 1st Jan
    I decided to do a light session tonight, i did a light one because i would like to be fresh going back on the program tomorrow, and i might do my next session tuesday

9 mile with 4 x 1 mile with 90 sec recovery
    1 mile WU @ 7:48 3.4 mile WD @8:20

Mon 2nd Jan

8 miles @ 8:29, this run had a bit of cross country, hills, recovery miles and easy miles...session tomorrow, and i hope to do my 5 mile time trial on saturday if any of the KK boys are up for giving me a hand :)

Tue 3rd Jan

9 miles with 4 x 1 mile @ 16.5km/hr with 90 sec recovery

weather was very bad today, maybe i need HTFU but i dont care the gym membership is made for days like today! Was happy enough with how it went considering it was my second session in 3 days and 50 miles in the last 5 days. il ease off a bit for a few days for the time trail on saturday....sooo not looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Tue 3rd Jan

9 miles with 4 x 1 mile @ 16.5km/hr with 90 sec recovery

weather was very bad today, maybe i need HTFU but i dont care the gym membership is made for days like today! Was happy enough with how it went considering it was my second session in 3 days and 50 miles in the last 5 days. il ease off a bit for a few days for the time trail on saturday....sooo not looking forward to it!
    Will arrange for the 2 boys to join you if you want.

Will arrange for the 2 boys to join you if you want.

that would be great VR:)

Wed 4th Jan

7 miles @8:39 recovery jog
    The yoga and stretching after runs has helped my flexibility, okay im still not great but i have improved a lot since i started the log

Thursday 5th Jan

6 miles @ 8:10

what you goin for in the time trial ? Think weather is suppose to have calmed down by Saturday :)

• Advertisement

Seres wrote: »
    what you goin for in the time trial ? Think weather is suppose to have calmed down by Saturday :)

hiya seres :), im goin for sub 30...again!:rolleyes:......only difference this time is if i dont get it il be one thick fecker for the whole weekend, i hope i perform well because i want my training pace to be down near 6:12m/m for this month, hope that wind isnt there!

hiya seres :), im goin for sub 30...again!:rolleyes:......only difference this time is if i dont get it il be one thick fecker for the whole weekend, i hope i perform well because i want my training pace to be down near 6:12m/m for this month, hope that wind isnt there!

Best of luck with it. Do a good warm up, 20mins easy then 3 x 200m at race pace. And 20min warm down.

Best of luck with it. Do a good warm up, 20mins easy then 3 x 200m at race pace. And 20min warm down.
    40 min warm up before the time trail :eek: jay the most i ever did was a mile or two before a race

40 min warm up before the time trail :eek: jay the most i ever did was a mile or two before a race
    20mins!
    Then a fee strides (3x200).

The 2nd 20mins is after the race I.e. warm down.

20mins!
    Then a fee strides (3x200).

The 2nd 20mins is after the race I.e. warm down.

oh :) phew!....yeah il do 10 mile in total, 2 warm up and 3 cool down
    Thanks Larry

Friday Jan 6th

5 mile jog @ 9:00

best of luck morro , training is going well so you should nail the sub30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

forecast for tomorrow am is good about 6deg, no rain and gentle breeze.. i'd join ye only hitting the road for a long hilly run...
    you should hav no probs at all..

Sat 7th Jan

10 mile with 5 mile(8050m) time trial 29:48
    I did this one on the track. Had the garmin on but it really is useless on the track, after the first mile i just turned on the stopwatch screen and tried to get sub 90sec laps. three of us were doing it and that really helped, i found it very tough for the last two miles but stuck it out to come in at 29:48:) im happy to take 27 seconds of my PB last month but i still feel i should be sub 29:30 right now...so loads more work to do! on the plus side i do find the track a little harder than the road, okay i know its flat, but all the curves:)!!!
    5 mile in 29:48 gives me 62:35 10 mile according to mc millian, thats 6:15mm pace, but il put my new training pace as 6:12mm thats sub 62....which i think i am just about capable of getting at the moment.
    I will be aiming for sub 61:30 in Dungarvan 10
    Week 6
    4 x 1m @ RP - 10s
    5 x 2k @ RP

Week 7
    6m @ RP + 20s
    8 x 1m @ RP off 90s

Larry i did the time trial instead of the 5 x 2k @ RP this week, so in my next session will i do the 5 x 2 k instead of the 6 mile tempo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭kaymin

Well done - still a strong wind out there so it's good to reach your target despite conditions not being ideal. Some nasty looking sessions in the weeks ahead but they'll all count on the day - 8 weeks to go:).

Advertisement