Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barts Ballycotton Sub 60

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

going to try for a sub 60 again tomorrow and see how it goes, hope the wind is not going to be too bad, hopefully i can find a pack to run with, if i can sheid myself from it and have it at my back coming in again il have a good chance....my aim is to feel more pain than ballycotton, if i can do that without blowing up il be happy with whatever the time is.

unfortunately the mallow 10 mile did not go my way at all. had a great nights sleep sunday night and felt like i could give it a great rattle, but with 4 mile in i knew the game was up, the heart rate was way too high and i was huffing and puffing. i went through halfway in 30:20 which wasnt too bad but my strength was gone even at this stage, at 6 and a half mile i got the worst stitch i ever got, just over my belly button, it was agony and it forced me to stop for a few seconds, i got some encouragement from a few lads passing me and i started off again, but the pain came in again a few hundred yards down the road and i had to stop again, a fellow kilkenny runner then passed by and i tried to tuck in behind him, but he pulled away, at this stage i just wanted to get to the line and i was feeling a little faint and very tired, i knew village runner was coming up behind me so that was the only thing that kept me going as the thought of listening to an untapered village runner in the car on the way home if he passed me would not have being pleasent:D . so a disaster of a day... 63:14, and very tired at the finish, slightly better than last years time but with all the training done since then it was a very disappointing day, but i suppose ya have to take these days as its all part of it.
    not sure what went wrong, I did go all out in ballycotton and i think i still hadnt recovered fully, but maybe it was just an off day i dont really know.
    im going to take a rest now for a few weeks, havent really had much of a break at all as i went from marathon training to 10 mile training, when i get set up in oz il start up a new log as i did find this really helpful. hope there are a few 10 mile races in oz because i wont be happy until i get a sub 60 now:) to get a sub 60 i will need to be able to do 5 milers and 10ks at 5:40 and 5:45mm, i just dont have that engine yet
    Thanks to all of ye who followed and contributed to this log:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Fair play bart, sub 60 is only a matter of time for you. Looking forward to your new log down under!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

fair play .. ya didnt let VR pass u.... i passed him out in mallow last year and i still like reminding him of it....... let us know if ur going for a few pints in KK some night prior to the trip down under...
    i didnt do mallow. still tired from running BC while sick..... next for me is the connemara ultra... enjoy the rest.. id say u need it to recharge..

fair play .. ya didnt let VR pass u.... i passed him out in mallow last year and i still like reminding him of it....... let us know if ur going for a few pints in KK some night prior to the trip down under...
    i didnt do mallow. still tired from running BC while sick..... next for me is the connemara ultra... enjoy the rest.. id say u need it to recharge..
    yeah need a recharge alright, 3 all out 10 milers within 7 weeks of each other was a bit too much for me i think.
    good luck in the ultra id say you will do well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

hope there are a few 10 mile races in oz

I'd say you'd want to get used to 15k races over there tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭kaymin

unfortunately the mallow 10 mile did not go my way at all. had a great nights sleep sunday night and felt like i could give it a great rattle, but with 4 mile in i knew the game was up, the heart rate was way too high and i was huffing and puffing. i went through halfway in 30:20 which wasnt too bad but my strength was gone even at this stage, at 6 and a half mile i got the worst stitch i ever got, just over my belly button, it was agony and it forced me to stop for a few seconds, i got some encouragement from a few lads passing me and i started off again, but the pain came in again a few hundred yards down the road and i had to stop again, a fellow kilkenny runner then passed by and i tried to tuck in behind him, but he pulled away, at this stage i just wanted to get to the line and i was feeling a little faint and very tired, i knew village runner was coming up behind me so that was the only thing that kept me going as the thought of listening to an untapered village runner in the car on the way home if he passed me would not have being pleasent:D . so a disaster of a day... 63:14, and very tired at the finish, slightly better than last years time but with all the training done since then it was a very disappointing day, but i suppose ya have to take these days as its all part of it.
    not sure what went wrong, I did go all out in ballycotton and i think i still hadnt recovered fully, but maybe it was just an off day i dont really know.
    im going to take a rest now for a few weeks, havent really had much of a break at all as i went from marathon training to 10 mile training, when i get set up in oz il start up a new log as i did find this really helpful. hope there are a few 10 mile races in oz because i wont be happy until i get a sub 60 now:) to get a sub 60 i will need to be able to do 5 milers and 10ks at 5:40 and 5:45mm, i just dont have that engine yet

Reminds me of my Ballycotton race - you weren't far off in BC so I wouldn't overestimate what you need to do to get there. I'm fairly determined to break 60 now myself but I'll wait til the National Lottery series for another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Shaa Man

****sorry could a mod please put this in training logs, i put it here by mistake, sorry bout that***
    Okay here goes my attempt at a training log
    Some backround on me
    male
    running 3 years

pbs
    10k 38:30
    10 mile 63:36
    HM 84:57
    Marathon 2:59:38

current weekly mileage 35-50
    weight 73kg
    Flexability...very bad
    Bad habits...drinking way too much on my weekly night out and smoking when drunk, not stretching enough, not doing any strength or corework, not maintaining an internet log once i start one even though i know i should!

heres a plan that i made up, probabliy wont stick to it entirely over the next 14 weeks but i hope that i can get 90% of the sessions in the diary, and with some flex and strength, i might be in a position to do sub 60 in ballycotton, or mallow as a fallback. i usually do the miles outside of sessions very easy..... recovery at 8:40, easy and long runs at about 8:10, i hope the sessions will naturally make these paces quicker, i dont want to force the pace on these because i like switching off on these runs and checking pace all the time is not fun.

Week 1
    8m with 2x(2@6:00mm)
    6m
    6m
    7m with 4*1000@5:50mm
    5m
    15m long run
    Rest

Week 2
    8m with 4@6:10mm
    7m
    6m with 3*1000@5:50mm
    6m
    6m
    8m with 5 mile race Aware, Dublin
    Rest

Week 3
    15m
    6m
    6m
    6m with 8*800@5:45mm
    6m
    12m with 4@6:30mm
    Rest

Week 4
    Recovery Week
    8m with 3@6:30mm
    6m
    6m
    8m with 3@6:30mm
    6m
    16m long run
    Rest

Week 5
    9m with 6@6:15mm
    6m
    6m
    8m with 6*1000@5:45mm
    6m
    15 mile long run
    Rest

Week 6
    8m with 4@6:00mm
    6m
    6m
    8m with 4*1200@5:45mm
    6m
    16m long run
    Rest

Week 7
    10m with 7@6:15mm
    6m
    6m
    8m with 3*1600@5:40mm
    6m
    15m long run
    Rest

Week 8
    8m with 5@6:00mm
    7m
    7m
    8m with 8*800@5:40mm
    6m
    15m long run
    Rest

Week 9
    6m
    8m with 3*1600@5:45mm
    6m
    5m
    Rest
    3m
    Dungarvan 10 mile Race

Week 10
    5m
    8m
    6m
    8m with 8*800@5:45mm
    6m
    15m with 8@6:30mm
    Rest

Week 11
    8m with 5*1200@5:45mm
    7m
    5m
    12m with 10@6:15mm
    5m
    15m long run
    Rest

Week 12
    8m with 5*1600@5:45mm
    7m
    5m
    12m with 10@6:15mm
    5m
    15m long run
    Rest

Week 13
    6m with 6*600@5:35mm
    6m
    6m
    10m with 7*1000@5:40mm
    5m
    16m long run

Week 14
    6m with 6*800@5:40mm
    5m
    6m with 2@6:00mm
    4m
    Rest
    3m
    Ballycotton 10 mile race

Hi Bart,
    Maybe you should try a more relaxed approach to training ? Your young and full of energy. Take more rest days. concentrate on tempo & speed runs. Try cross-training on rest days (anything but running). You have to flexable & strong to run at your level(half hour 3 times a week).
    Listen to your body and sub-60 for 10 will come. Drinking & Training don't mix. Have good time down under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Hi Bart, when did you say you are heading to Melbourne again?

Not sure how many 10 mile races you will find here. They work in kilometres this side of the world.

You'll have to give the AV Shield a bash when you are down here.:)

Hi Bart,
    Maybe you should try a more relaxed approach to training ? Your young and full of energy. Take more rest days. concentrate on tempo & speed runs. Try cross-training on rest days (anything but running). You have to flexable & strong to run at your level(half hour 3 times a week).
    Listen to your body and sub-60 for 10 will come. Drinking & Training don't mix. Have good time down under

• Advertisement

04072511 wrote: »
    Hi Bart, when did you say you are heading to Melbourne again?

Not sure how many 10 mile races you will find here. They work in kilometres this side of the world.

You'll have to give the AV Shield a bash when you are down here.:)

heading to melbourne 30th of april, going on a road trip up the east coast for two weeks, then il look at doing a bit of training for something, whats the AV Shield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

heading to melbourne 30th of april, going on a road trip up the east coast for two weeks, then il look at doing a bit of training for something, whats the AV Shield?

The AV Shield is the stuff i've been doing. A 12 meet interclub track and field competition going from October to February.

Hi Bart,
    Well done on all your achievements to date. Keep up the running down under.
    Only started using this site so ignore the previous errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fowler1

Let us know if u are having a night out before u go.
    Or are us sub 60 men not invited:D:D

fowler1 wrote: »
    Let us know if u are having a night out before u go.
    Or are us sub 60 men not invited:D:D

cant leave us sub 60 men out!!!!:D very slow crowd without us:D

u running the 5k with ray on monday??? if not pop along and ill get u a job as a marshall!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fowler1

No doing it , some of us have real jobs only half hour for lunch.
    Best of luck sunday.

Advertisement