Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tús programme questions.

Options
  • 23-11-2011 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I have a couple of questions if anyone has been through the interview process for the Tús programme which I received a letter for recently.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/tus.html

My area of expertise is very specific and I'm just wondering if there is nothing suitable on offer, do you have to take whatever they have going? Do you actually get a choice in this or do they decide for you? The wording in the letter I receive would indicate the latter!

What kind of positions are on offer? The fact sheet includes a lot of hands on labour work and also working with the disabled and children which I'm surprised at as I thought people would have to be specifically trained/vetted for that. Are there other positions on offer or is this pretty much it?

Is there a travel allowance? My Local Development Company is over twenty miles from where I live which is a rural area with no public transport links. I don't own a car and I don't really have any idea as to how I'm going to get there. The only thing I can think of is hiring a taxi which is stressing me out as I can't afford this expense.

If anyone has been through the process I welcome any info!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

You can indicate a preference for certain types of work (they include a list of the types on the information that they send you), but you have no choice as such.

There is no travel allowance. You cannot be made to participate in the scheme if it is going to make you financially worse off, or if you are not capable of doing the job, but you need to be careful about how you frame any objections. You could find your payment stopped if you are considered to have unreasonably refused the position. If you say you're unable to do the job, you could also find yourself cut for not being capable of full-time work.

Of course it comes down to what is reasonable for your circumstances, but the last thing that you need is your payment cut while it takes 18 months to sort out on appeal!!!! In short, you need to be very careful about how you deal with them.

You should contact a local group that deals with unemployment issues for support, or alternatively the Irish National Organisation of the Unemployed 01 8560088 www.inou.ie for assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CarrieLee

Thanks for the reply - I will try contacting the INOU for further assistance.

It looks as though I'm damned if I do - damned if I don't with this one. I don't see how I'm going to be able to undertake a twenty mile journey every day and pay for transport, but if I don't, my claim will be stopped. I contacted the Tús department for further info, but they were very unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think it is an extra €20 per week on top of your usual payment.

I contacted the INOU about this but never heard back from them.

I'm just wondering if anyone at all as been called for an interview for this and what the process was? Has anyone actually been offered anything worthwhile from this scheme.

As of now I have received forms to fill out including a Garda Vetting Form and have been told to attend an interview next week. Why do I need to fill out a Garda Vetting Form? I'm finding all of this very intrusive.

I need to reschedule the interview as I need to organise transport and this is not possible on that day, but don't know if I can or if my payment will be affected if I don't attend it.

I am losing sleep over this and can't seem to find info anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

CarrieLee wrote: »
    I contacted the INOU about this but never heard back from them.

I'm just wondering if anyone at all as been called for an interview for this and what the process was? Has anyone actually been offered anything worthwhile from this scheme.

As of now I have received forms to fill out including a Garda Vetting Form and have been told to attend an interview next week. Why do I need to fill out a Garda Vetting Form? I'm finding all of this very intrusive.

I need to reschedule the interview as I need to organise transport and this is not possible on that day, but don't know if I can or if my payment will be affected if I don't attend it.

I am losing sleep over this and can't seem to find info anywhere.

Did you try contacting the local development company that is offering the position. Ask to speak to a supervisor and they should be able to answer your questions. If you are outside of Dublin this will be the partnership/LEADER companies.

• Advertisement

Did you try contacting the local development company that is offering the position. Ask to speak to a supervisor and they should be able to answer your questions. If you are outside of Dublin this will be the partnership/LEADER companies.

I contacted them after receiving the initial letter and spoke to two different people who couldn't answer my questions but who said my questions would be answered at the interview!

I'd just like to be more informed before I have to come face to face with these people. These letters are quite threatening in tone, and basically say that if I don't do everything I'm told to do then my money will be cut off, so I'd just like to know what I'm dealing with and if anyone has already gone through the interview process I would be grateful for info. There's not a lot of info on this one online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭easy1

I started work week ago,and feel very happy about my interview process and job
    I got same letter from social welfare more than 2 month ago,I decide to thick "yes"box,so I wanted to see,what they can offer for me.Interview was very successful,because 2 interviewers was listening me carefully and they took in account all my job preferences.They promised find job,who will mach my skills,and they founded.I got 4 interviews with them before I got job,they done everything for me,even take my off from social welfare,so I no needed to going there and notify them about my new job.
    Wages goes on bank account,and there no need going for signing on.Contract is for one year,I got wages for 3 days,I don't have any other extra payment from Social Protection office,but that's is fine,because I have stable income for one year,and I have payment more then was my JA.
    Sorry for many mistakes in my text.I was scared for that scheme as well,but finally I'm really satisfied.

Thanks for reply easy1 - what kind of work were you offered on the scheme if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭easy1

So,this company(CPLN) deal with local community charity organizations.
    I told them,what I don't want to do at all,and what I would like to do.
    I was finished a lot of courses,so I asked them for charity shop worker job or office job,they offered me Charity shop work.I was happy because in that letter was only few,for my skills unsuitable jobs,that why, I'm was worried.
    In my understanding CPLN should find charity organizations,make agreements with them and then you can get job.They try to find job not far from your living place.
    My suggestion,please feel free to ask them all your questions,be honest,say them your job preferences.They do all the best for me,really.Maybe I'm lucky one,but maybe they cant find job for you.We don't know.
    If honest,I don't know,whats happens if you refuse go to interview,social welfare can cut your payment,so just attend interview,nothing to loose.

Thanks for all the info.

An office job would be good for me too. I live in a rural area though, so I don't know what they might find for me around here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I,ve just received a letter to attend for an interview next week , for a tus scheme.

But I have been asked to attend the interview, that is a round trip of 90 kilometres from my home. And I dont have a car now. So I dont know what arrangements I,ll have to make to get there.

I would have thought they could have arranged a more local venue for the interview, as the development company,s main address is only 10 miles away.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Please be advised that anyone starting one of these schemes need to contact you local tax office to get tax certificate or you will go on emergency tax

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

kadman wrote: »
    I,ve just received a letter to attend for an interview next week , for a tus scheme.

But I have been asked to attend the interview, that is a round trip of 90 kilometres from my home. And I dont have a car now. So I dont know what arrangements I,ll have to make to get there.

I would have thought they could have arranged a more local venue for the interview, as the development company,s main address is only 10 miles away.

kadman

Hi Kadman, just got one of those letters today myself - what happened with you ? Did they force you into a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

rsole1 wrote: »
    Hi Kadman, just got one of those letters today myself - what happened with you ? Did they force you into a job?

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭scientist

Hi , I'm on a tus scheme. Yes they give you 20 euro extra but it's put through the paye system and i pay prsi of 10.60 ! That left me with 9.40 extra. Then the community welfare officer came along and took 18 euro off my mortgage interest supplement because i'm now (by the way) getting 20 euro extra from tus. It all leaves me with a net loss overall of around 9 euros per week and i have to get in and out of work. My boss in Tus is great though, he asks me am i happy? is everything ok? He never asks the employer whether im any good or even if i'm doing my job. Their only concern is that i'm ok. The last job he put me in was a bit of a joke because i was suppossed to be doing one thing and when the fella got me to the place of work he put me doing a load of other jobs that had nothing to do with what the job spec was, so i told my boss and he's moved me out of there. Now im waiting to see what he will do with me next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Port1 wrote: »
    Please be advised that anyone starting one of these schemes need to contact you local tax office to get tax certificate or you will go on emergency tax
    This is not correct. Your new supervisor will help you ring the tax office and they will give you the details over the phone, so avoiding emergency tax.

I never said anything about emergency tax! I pay 10.60 prsi!!

Sorry thought you were talking about my comment. My supervisor never told me to ring the tax office and so i got emergency taxed for the first 3 weeks, but then i rang them myself and sorted it out.

scientist wrote: »
    I never said anything about emergency tax! I pay 10.60 prsi!!
    If you are claiming for dependents, you will be brought into the PRSI bracket. The Garda vetting form mentioned by another poster is needed because most TUS and CE schemes are community based and you may be in contact with vulnerable people. It speeds the applications up if you can have the form filled in before the interview. Leave it in an envelope and the only person to see it would be the scheme sponsor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Basically it is not worth doing. Loads of people are being left worse off.

Word your objections very carefully. You would nearly want a solicitor to draft a response.

• Advertisement

Basically it is not worth doing. Loads of people are being left worse off.

Word your objections very carefully. You would nearly want a solicitor to draft a response.
    If the €20 would cover your travel costs, it's very well worth doing. There's more to work than the pay packet. It can be very rewarding to try something different outside your field of expertise or your comfort zone.

All very commendable but you are not gaining €20 at all. At the end of the day you will have less than if you stayed at home.

I certainly would tell them where to shove it.

All very commendable but you are not gaining €20 at all. At the end of the day you will have less than if you stayed at home.

I certainly would tell them where to shove it.
    You are gaining experience, getting out of the house and hopefully making new friends and connections. Don't knock it until you give it a go. I don't think you can refuse unless very genuine reasons!

It doesn't apply to me in any case. But if it did I would refuse via a solicitor.

I get out of the house anyway, since i have kids. I also have plenty of connections and am highly qualified in the field i worked in. I need every penny i have and can't afford to be on this. It's costing me and i gain no valuable experience at all. I could do it in my sleep. The word expoitation comes to mind. Thank you for the tip about how to refuse to do it. That may be very helpful. Surely you are entitled to a copy of your rights while on the programme?

Advertisement