Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outgoing email problem

• 24-11-2011 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Folks,

I have changed my ISP provider from O2 stick to Ripplecom and all the setup has worked fine.

The only issue I have is my wife uses Outlook 2007 on the desktop for her email program. I went into the Account settings and changed the outgoing SMTP fro smtp.o2.ie to smtp.ripplecom.net as per Ripplecom's tech support page. When she tries to send email externally she gets back an undeliverable message:
    "The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
    'xxx' on 23/11/2011 23:23
    554 5.7.1 <xxxx>: Relay access denied"

She can still receive incoming email. Anyone know what the above means?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have you used the right port 25?
    Try the alternative port 587?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Another thing to check is the "My server requires authentication" tic box in the same location as where you are entering the pop & smtp settings

Some providers require this to be ticked and others don't.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

If all else fails use smtp.gmail.com on the alternative port

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

Tried port 587 but it didnt work, wouldnt let me put in smtp.gmail.com in alternative port. Tried ticking the box for secuere authentication but not joy either - Eicom's POP server doesnt take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Try using

mail.xxxx.xxx

instead of smtp.xxxx.xxx

• Advertisement

goalie2 wrote: »
    Tried port 587 but it didnt work, wouldnt let me put in smtp.gmail.com in alternative port. Tried ticking the box for secuere authentication but not joy either - Eicom's POP server doesnt take it.

Hold on, POP is for incoming, SMTP for outgoing. Mail uses two completely different protocols for sending and receiving mail. You should not have a POP problem or need to make any changes to POP (incoming).

The reason you need to make changes to SMTP (outgoing) is to combat spam. All ISP's block port 25 (SMTP) and make you go through their SMTP server. An infected PC can send millions of emails per hour if there was no control and this wasn't the case. It's the way the ISP protect the ip addresses they issue from getting blacklisted.

no joy there either

ok lads, my fault here, ripplecom have taken over lastmile in my area (athlone) so I decided to try a lastmile smtp, mail.lastmile.ie and that did the trick. Obviously Ripplecom have not taking over smtp side of things from lastmile.

Advertisement