Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who gives a f****** about the children?

• 24-11-2011 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

We certainly don't look like we do...

It struck me when I saw that video last month that 30,000 children died in 3 months because of the Famine in Africa.

But since then, what the **** did we care? Nah **** it, we give a **** about our taxes... we care about our dole... we want our rent paid... and then the price of getting locked on booze?

I hadn't even noticed it before that video and haven't seen anything else happen about it on the news since.

The only thing on the wikipedia article is that Kenya invaded Somalia to save some western tourists. wow

Round of applause for us all and lets take a bow (Especialy you smart ass reply number 1).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

TL;DR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It's the human condition to care more about the things that affect us directly OP.

Besides, at this point in time i have been living with the fact that something is going terribly wrong somewhere in Africa for my entire life...as terrible as the suffering is it's a simple fact that the completely ineffectual methods through which people try and help are failing time and again because often times these countries own governments will do their best to make things worse.

Also, no offence, you seem to have found out about this particular issue now...yet you expect everyone else to already know? Seems a bit hypocritical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Well...what are you doing to aid the children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Slydice wrote: »

It struck me when I saw that video last month that 30,000 children died in 3 months because of the Famine in Africa.

But since then, what the **** did we care? Nah **** it, we give a **** about our taxes... we care about our dole... we want our rent paid... and then the price of getting locked on booze?

I hadn't even noticed it before that video and haven't seen anything else happen about it on the news since.

The only thing on the wikipedia article is that Kenya invaded Somalia to save some western tourists. wow

Round of applause for us all and lets take a bow (Especialy you smart ass reply number 1).

Sorry to break it to you mr bleeding heart, but some people are dealing with too many personal and financial problems to be whipping out the tiny violins for everything bad that happens in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Best thing we could do to stop famine in Africa is invade the place and get rid of the corrupt dictators diverting food aid. Is that your master plan you warmongerer?

Besides who's this we, you mean Ireland noted for its charitable donations or western Europe or where.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Africa is a tragedy. Yet, Ireland is to BORROW €850m (even though we're up to our tits) to donate next year to overseas relief.

Africa has been torn apart by war, tyrants, etc and much of its misery is of its own making. And yet you expect the West to continually bail it out, when, allegedly, only 25% of all aid donated gets through, with much of it being hijacked to fund wars? Get real man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

For the size of our country I think we give plenty of aid to other countries. How much more would you like us to give? If anything I think that we forget that charity begins at home. We are way more inclined to send money abroad than to help people in need in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't believe charity should begin at home, only where it's needed - but yeah, ireland is a charitable nation, and I don't get this blanket condemnation of us every so often for whatever reason, by someone who is also one of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I hate these fcuking thread that seem to only exist so the OP can go on a moral agenda rant about the horrors of Africa , as if we don't see it and not reminded of it everyday...like were do you think we all live OP , on the fcuking moon or something ? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

OP,

If you care so much, why not sell the computer your using to post on boards with, and cancel your broadband. You could probably get a few quid for all your clothes, you only really need one pair of everything anyway.

Then you can give the money you save to the children, since your heart bleeds so much for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I'm still trying to figure out which 7 letter f word would fit in the title without making it sound pedophillic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

How can I afford to give my monies to charity and go out 4 nights a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

I'm a bit confused about the syntax in the f******. Should it not be 'Who gives a f*** about the children?'?

I'm still trying to figure out which 7 letter f word would fit in the title without making it sound pedophillic...

Fapping???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Overpaid actors on soapboxes moaning about things they know little about.

Please fuck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Its sympathy fatigue OP. people can only hear so much about something before they just block it out.

Why is Africa such a mess anyway? All our lives we've been told Africa needs our help, but our charity doesn't seem to be working. Its gonna take more than charity to sort that place out imo.

PS, get off your moral high-horse or GTFO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's the human condition to care more about the things that affect us directly OP.

Besides, at this point in time i have been living with the fact that something is going terribly wrong somewhere in Africa for my entire life...as terrible as the suffering is it's a simple fact that the completely ineffectual methods through which people try and help are failing time and again because often times these countries own governments will do their best to make things worse.

Also, no offence, you seem to have found out about this particular issue now...yet you expect everyone else to already know? Seems a bit hypocritical.
    +1000 I've been living with something "going terribly wrong somewhere in Africa" for even longer than Logical Fallacy. A couple of decades longer. Hell I even remember pre culturally sensitive stuff like "penny for the black babies". I kid thee not gentle reader. Year after year Trocaire boxes were made and filled by kids happy to be avoiding Irish/French/History class, Band Aid came and went, Bono swanned in and out on his stacked heels and even more stacked ego, debts were crossed off, hands were wringed and year after year fcuk all changed and still fcuk all has changed. It's like the perpetual motion of charity.

I have to be brutally honest here and trust me I really never thought I'd be this jaded*, but now I really have pretty much given up on the whole thing. To the degree when the usual images of African kids with fly blown eyes come on screen overlaid by some emotive hand wringing actor who thinks charity is something to be bought and sold for their profile I think fcuk off and change the channel as fast as my fingers on the remote can carry me.

How much more can be done? The world needs to try something different, because clearly what's been tried doesn't work or if it does, only on a temporary basis, just enough for the TV crews to show new wells and prefab houses, so we can all feel a little better for sending the pennies to the "black babies". Bollocks I say.
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    Africa is a tragedy. Yet, Ireland is to BORROW €850m (even though we're up to our tits) to donate next year to overseas relief.
    This in such a big way. Imagine a person. A person who has lost their job, is on the dole and can't make their mortgage payments. Imagine this person went to their accountant and said accountant found they had a direct debit on their account for charity. Worse had actually taken out a loan to pay it. That person would be in need of a shrink not an accountant. It's beyond moronic.

*In my time I've raised thousands of punts and then euros towards various African crises.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Absolutely 100% agree with Wibbs and PrincessLola. As far back as I can remember we are being asked to give money for Africa. You can't turn on the tv without seeing children covered in flies and voiceovers tellings us how bad off they are. Everything that could be done has been done to help them but it never ever ends. Where the **** is all this money gone to? Are we expected to keep throwing hand over fist of cash on to collection boxes until we die, at which stage it will just keep going and going?

I'm the same as Wibbs though, I see these campaigns and I switch them off. I'm ****ing tired of being guilt tripped by bleeding hearts and I simply don't care anymore. I have enough problems of my own than throwing my cash in to the never ending well of charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

What OP probably doesn't realise is that his '' sarcastic only thinking about the dole , rent, '' etc rant is about 30 years out of date and many thousends of people always have and always will help Africa ,even when they have been browbeated enough about it but they sure don't need to have their intelligence insulted by having some B or C celeb remind them off it when they have been doing it for years anyway and not just Africa but closer to home to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭zyxwvu

"Famine is man-made".. from that video.

Correct, too many humans having too many kids in too harsh an environment. Also, dire poverty is the natural state of life... we're just lucky that the western world have risen above it..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We have an unpopular opinions thread ongoing here and if I were to wade in on that with what I feel should be "done" with certain areas in that continent I reckon I'd warrant the thread title. I do stipulate certain parts of Africa. Many places are doing quite well thanks very much, but others are cartoonish and horrific examples of fcuked up states and cultures.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

If anyone thinks that giving aid or charity to African countries actually helps, then you gotta ask yourself this question... why - when aid to these countries increases, does hunger, poverty & death increase at a parallel rate?

It doesn't take a genius to work out that foreign aid to these countries simply doesn't work, and a much more fundamental, radical change is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

who gives a factory about the children?
    -coud be a child producing factory,perhaps?
    who gives a fiction about the children?
    -that coud be refering to a fiction written about children, tsk OP coud be being purely innocent of swearing for all we know.

personaly do not have a factory to give them,nor a fiction,
    but if by a miracle ever had any spare money itd be going towards animals as people get alot more support than animals do in poor countries.

there are some charities and charitible people who save up their own money along with recieving donations to send donated things like clothes,shoes,toys etc directly to people in african vilages so it does not meet a grizzly end at the hand of gov.corruption.
    have got a support staff who does this,and have got a lot of stuff held back for when she can afford the next shipping.
    when she has gone there on holiday she has left her own suitcase and clothes all behind and said she can afford to get new things in a few months whereas they cant,she doesnt ever expect anyone to donate though she just puts everyone before herself.

apparently underwear is a big shortage there,perhaps if people do ever feel like doing something then donating items not needed anymore to a proper charity that gives the goods directly [not those that pretend to be a charity but are actualy taking advantage of the people they claim to help].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I live in a country in which I, as a younger element of that society,
    will most likely spend my life paying for the mistakes of the older generations.

I really feel for the people younger than me that literally nothing to do with our economic collapse,
    but will have to suffer horribly in terms of taxes and charges.

Insert WWII reference here:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I've been donating money for famine victims for years now, through direct debits to Concern and Save the Children, and as far as I can see it's money well spent. What does annoy me is that once you're on their register you get letters from every charity going looking for money, I try my best for most of them (though avoid the godbothering ones). I've also sold raffle tickets for the likes of Chernobyl Children, Beaumont Hospital and Ormonde St. children's hospital, (they need money too) though I've declined this year when they contacted me because you can only go so far before your family and friends start thinking 'oh f#ck here he comes again', and none of us are rolling in it.
    What's also annoying to me is that it seems to be always the people who don't have much that give the most, I just wish people like Bono, instead of his fucking lecturing and pontificating, would put his money where his mouth is.
    I find it hard to watch the images of starving babies, I remember vividly last years appeal when they showed a father who, after walking for days to reach a clinic, had to choose which of his two children to save as they only had food and meds for one. I'm aware of the fact that most of peoples everyday problems don't really compare. I'm also aware that not everyone can afford to give, that people have their own immediate problems to deal with too, and that the situation seems pretty hopeless.
    It's hopeless until there's a real political will to stop this. This problem has been around for ever, but there are solutions if the will is there. For example, if the world's powerful nations stopped spending on arms for a week and spent it on famine relief instead, it would stop hunger. It's high f#cking time we all copped on, coz it's shameful that children are dying through lack of food on one side of the world and on the other are obese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

People dont care op. Its sad, its wrong. But people only care about themselves and a handful of certain people in their lives (family, wife, husband etc)
    But I can understand people not caring. 'Cause this world is a hard place. But I cant accept people bullsh*tting on while still not caring. Eg, "its terrible whats going on!" etc etc etc. But wont do anything to help. You are on either side in life. I cant respect someone who wants to appear to be playing for one side, but really is on the other. And thats all these types of topics get. Bullsh*t empathy.

Wibbs wrote: »
    We have an unpopular opinions thread ongoing here and if I were to wade in on that with what I feel should be "done" with certain areas in that continent I reckon I'd warrant the thread title. I do stipulate certain parts of Africa. Many places are doing quite well thanks very much, but others are cartoonish and horrific examples of fcuked up states and cultures.
    True. Places like Rwanda and the Congo, fucked up largely through the after effects of colonialism. Somalia looks like hell on earth. There have to be solutions though..
    Again it's down to political will. Maybe there's not enough oil there.

Johro wrote: »
    I've been donating money for famine victims for years now, through direct debits to Concern and Save the Children, and as far as I can see it's money well spent.

After all deductions have been taken from the monies very little of it gets used for its purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Advertisement

If anyone thinks that giving aid or charity to African countries actually helps, then you gotta ask yourself this question... why - when aid to these countries increases, does hunger, poverty & death increase at a parallel rate?

It doesn't take a genius to work out that foreign aid to these countries simply doesn't work, and a much more fundamental, radical change is needed.
    Sure. What though? Coz in the meantime, while we work it out, or not, or pretend to, or ignore it, children are dying. I don't see anything wrong with finding a useful charitable organisation who you know do good work that actually helps these people even in a small way, and give them like, a fiver a month. Everybody can afford that. Money goes so far over there. If it saves one child it's f#ckin worth it ain't it?

Sure. What though? Coz in the meantime, while we work it out, or not, or pretend to, or ignore it, children are dying.

The world is overpopulated as it is, It's just nature balancing itself out, Let mother nature do her job!

darokane wrote: »
    After all deductions have been taken from the monies very little of it gets used for its purpose
    That's not actually true. It may be in some cases, but most major charities will give a clear breakdown of how money is spent, it doesn't take much effort to find that out. It shouldn't be used as an excuse not to give to charity, but it often is.
    Alternatively, there are options such as buying a goat, a couple of chickens, a bag of cropseed, stuff like that.

That's not actually true. It may be in some cases, but most major charities will give a clear breakdown of how money is spent, it doesn't take much effort to find that out. It shouldn't be used as an excuse not to give to charity, but it often is.
    Alternatively, there are options such as buying a goat, a couple of chickens, a bag of cropseed, stuff like that.

Ignorance really is bliss

A charity is one of the best businesses a person can create.

- You don't get taxed.
    - Its all donations. be it money, clothes or what not. So its not like a regular business risking money on products to manufacture or sell.
    - You can create a good paying job for yourself as "CEO". Take a nice pay check each week. Perfectly legal.
    - Apart from the above you can skim on the donations. Whos to know how much you get in donations every week. Its not like someone is going to declare the official amount THEN skim. Money just magically disappears from the time you donate to whats officially taken in.

The world is overpopulated as it is, It's just nature balancing itself out, Let mother nature do her job!
    You could easily have been born in Ethiopia though, for instance, and you'd have a very different outlook. It's pure chance you were born in a country and at a time where your parents were able to feed you. We can't punish people for where they were born.

• Advertisement

Ignorance really is bliss
    Yes it is. You said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

Slydice, how much have you donated to the poor countries in africa...........probably 2 euro so STFU

LighterGuy wrote: »
    A charity is one of the best businesses a person can create.

- You don't get taxed.
    - Its all donations. be it money, clothes or what not. So its not like a regular business risking money on products to manufacture or sell.
    - You can create a good paying job for yourself as "CEO". Take a nice pay check each week. Perfectly legal.
    - Apart from the above you can skim on the donations. Whos to know how much you get in donations every week. Its not like someone is going to declare the official amount THEN skim. Money just magically disappears from the time you donate to whats officially taken in.
    :rolleyes: You have proof of this? I'm guessing you don't, mainly because it's bollocks. Sure, a percentage is used for administration, shipping has to be paid for etc., but money just magically disappears??

:rolleyes: You have proof of this? I'm guessing you don't, mainly because it's bollocks. Sure, a percentage is used for administration, shipping has to be paid for etc., but money just magically disappears??

Ok,
    Lets use logic.
    Both you or I cannot say how many charities are legit and how many are fraudulent. Because both of us do not know how many are what. All we can state is that some are legit, some are not, right?

So lets take a legit charity and a fraudulent charity. Money is both donated to them. While one will accurately count donations and officially declare money to be sent forward. The other doesnt do the same.

How is that?
    Because at the end of the day someone counts the daily donations. Someone deducts the operating costs, someone then moves the money along to those who are receiving.... see this is about people. about man. And last time I checked the world wasnt an honest place.
    So while you can say some charities are true and legit. You are right. But also when a guy like me says some are not. I am also right. We are talking about people here.

What's also annoying to me is that it seems to be always the people who don't have much that give the most, I just wish people like Bono, instead of his fucking lecturing and pontificating, would put his money where his mouth is.
    He does. While I think he's part of the problem, he's raised the profile of parts of the continent and helped downgrade their debt.
    I find it hard to watch the images of starving babies, I remember vividly last years appeal when they showed a father who, after walking for days to reach a clinic, had to choose which of his two children to save as they only had food and meds for one. I'm aware of the fact that most of peoples everyday problems don't really compare. I'm also aware that not everyone can afford to give, that people have their own immediate problems to deal with too, and that the situation seems pretty hopeless.
    It is pretty hopeless. You could have written that same paragraph 40 years ago. Someone probably did. As for the Irish in all this? Younger folks may not be aware of the amount of Irish people of a particular generation who went "on the missions" to various parts of Africa. It seems quite the forgotten generation. Lost on the back of the kiddy fiddler clergy there were other religious people who made big differences to the place on the ground. Providing medical care and education.
    It's hopeless until there's a real political will to stop this. This problem has been around for ever, but there are solutions if the will is there. For example, if the world's powerful nations stopped spending on arms for a week and spent it on famine relief instead, it would stop hunger.
    Hunger is not the issue. We know how to "feed the world". We knew long before Geldof threw it in as a lyric. As for the "powerful nations", maybe the African elites should take your advice. After all it's their country. At the height of the Ethiopian famine in the 80's their own government were spending more on armaments than all the charity money put together.
    True. Places like Rwanda and the Congo, fucked up largely through the after effects of colonialism. Somalia looks like hell on earth. There have to be solutions though..
    Again it's down to political will. Maybe there's not enough oil there.
    Nope this oft trotted out explanation won't wash for me any more either. Somalia? It was colonised by European powers(France/UK) for a period from the late 19th century to the mid 20th. Hardly centuries of oppression. Oh and the same goes for Rwanda BTW. The Congo for longer, but not much longer. As for oil? The Congo is considered one of the richest nations on earth as far as natural resources go, yet it's one of the poorest on earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I'm sure everyone has heard this cliche before, but how many have actually thought about it?
    "Give a man a fish and he'll be fed for a day, teach a man to fish and he will be fed for life"

Aid is not the answer to the problem of Africas starving millions. It's not the horrible desert you see in those Trocaire ads, most of it is a lush paradise. I have just returned from South Africa (one of the more successful African countries) and what struck me most is that many of these people are poor (by Irish standards) but I saw only 2 beggars the whole time I was there. These are a proud people and they don't beg for money and don't get any sort of welfare from the state. People will whittle animals out of wood, sell timber by the side of the road or act as guides to get money. Even if they don't have a job they will get by on subsistence farming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I reckon the only genuine solution would be to federalise the UN with a constitution based off the UNDHR (with appropriate alterations so that 'state' specific articles apply for the entire federation etc) facilitating genuine, free, borderless international travel.

Bring on the NWO, I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Unilateral aid, with the exception of emergency relief due to natural disasters, just doesn't work.

Giving money away doesn't fix the problem. Buying up and investing in Africa, however, might have some effect, particularly through the effect it has on political reform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I agree with OP.

Let's give more aid to countries like uganda who are landlocked but seem to use their funds to buy anti-naval fighter jets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone has heard this cliche before, but how many have actually thought about it?
    "Give a man a fish and he'll be fed for a day, teach a man to fish and he will be fed for life"

what struck me most is that many of these people are poor (by Irish standards) but I saw only 2 beggars the whole time I was there. These are a proud people and they don't beg for money and don't get any sort of welfare from the state.

Just want to say I'm cycling through W Africa at the moment and from Nouakchott down (Mauritanian capital) through Senegal and now into Mali the begging is often unreal. From children to adults it's a constant request for money and cadeau (present). They see whitey me on a bike and just walk out in front of me on the road to make me stop and ask for money. I've had small mobs of children chase me shouting for money and presents. I've had adults, who in the local sense look well off, just walk up to me without even bothering to say hello and say I would like some money....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I agree with the OP, we should invade them and bring them civilization. Obviously they are incapable of looking after themselves and need a strong guiding hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Maybe that 'racist' Mayor was onto something. :p

I agree with OP.

Let's give more aid to countries like uganda who are landlocked but seem to use their funds to buy anti-naval fighter jets
    Look at the decline of the Congo. In their colonial past they had one of the first African motorways, an extensive railway, ongoing electrification, telephone system etc. Within a generation it disappeared. Now travelers can walk through what looks like pristine jungle only to stumble upon a locomotive rusting in the undergrowth. The road system is only passable on foot in the majority of stretches and the best way to make your way in the country is down the river system. All this in a country that by rights should be one of the richest on earth. Compare and contrast today with some east Asian countries with much lower natural resources who were colonies for longer. Palm oil and the tree it comes from is of African origin and product, yet the worlds biggest producers/exporters are in Asia. Started from trees given in diplomatic exchange in the 50's and 60's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've been donating money for famine victims for years now,
    Dude, the famine ended hundreds of years ago, that charity is taking you for a mug. ;)

Sure. What though? Coz in the meantime, while we work it out, or not, or pretend to, or ignore it, children are dying. I don't see anything wrong with finding a useful charitable organisation who you know do good work that actually helps these people even in a small way, and give them like, a fiver a month. Everybody can afford that. Money goes so far over there. If it saves one child it's f#ckin worth it ain't it?

A fiver a month might help save one child's life & while that might seem worthwhile, it's a short term fix to a long term problem.

But the question still remains - does foreign aid & charity work in African countries actually help the problem, or does it actually help worsen the problem?

It seems no matter how much money you throw at this problem, that it has no positive effect. The only conclusion that you can draw from this is that money is not actually the solution & more than likely is actually part of the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement