Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who gives a f****** about the children?

Comments

I know Im going to be lambasted over this, but Feck it, I really couldnt give a rats A*** at this stage.

Ive a pain in my nether regions from others looking for money .
    Myself and my family are at breaking point right now with bills. I worried sick about so many things, mainly because of lack of money. There are so many people around this country who are sick to their stomach with worry, who cant sleep at night because they cant dress or feed their children for christmas never mind toys.

When I have had money, Ive given what I could to charities.So have many many Irish people, in fact we've been damned good to the world when it needed it. Now when many of us are at breaking point, Im sick to the teeth of others trying to put me on a guilt trip to help others. Some of these Charities are paying staff 15 to 18 euro per hour, Thats IS NOT where I want my doationto go, if I do give I want it to feed someone hungry, not keep a chugger in Duffle coats and Converse.

For me, for the next few years until hopefully things get better, Im sticking to the mantra of Charity begining at home. My charites this year are Simon and Focus Ireland. Any extra penny I get will go to them, not to some foreign land, where the problem seems never ending because of the corruption in some of these countries, where their leaders are living in fantastic wealthy conditions buying selling arms and diamonds to finance wars.

How dare anyone try to make me or others feel bad about opting out of filling the Coffers of these countries.

I know children are dying over there, but while we maybe dont get children dying of hunger in this country, yet, we have serious poverty problems through out Ireland now that need to be addressed.

Rant over. Yis can lambast me all you want, Im beyond caring at this point. Ive enough of my own worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Well said Jake1! We have the problem of who the hell to give to when we get around 6 or 7 charities a month not just coming to the door and cold calling but it's the bags others leave (another 4 or 5 - some of a dubious nature) it has to stop somewhere!

I give to two local charities here in Glasgow, if I want I may make a donation to others if I see them out with their cans(or not if its not something I find deserving)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Slydice wrote: »
    We certainly don't look like we do...

It struck me when I saw that video last month that 30,000 children died in 3 months because of the Famine in Africa.

But since then, what the **** did we care? Nah **** it, we give a **** about our taxes... we care about our dole... we want our rent paid... and then the price of getting locked on booze?

I hadn't even noticed it before that video and haven't seen anything else happen about it on the news since.

The only thing on the wikipedia article is that Kenya invaded Somalia to save some western tourists. wow

Round of applause for us all and lets take a bow (Especialy you smart ass reply number 1).
    Any further commentary OP? I love the "we" stuff, which would logically include you. Why the hell shouldn't people care about their own personal wellbeing? And you'd swear we were all obsessed with getting dole, rent paid etc. Why do you assume people here aren't giving aid? Those celebs on the vid shouting indignantly seem like ***** - such hypocrites.

I wouldn't like to become completely jaded about the tragedy of famine, but I agree teaching people to help themselves would be of better use long-term than just throwing money at them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1. And before the droolers drive by, this is nothing to do with "race". People of African extraction the world over(including within Africa) have added to the world we live in today. Great doctors, statesmen and women, entrepreneurs, inventors etc. The list is long and it goes back in history too. It's the culture of too many African states and peoples that's the problem. A culture fostered by tribal ballsology, handouts, corruption and blaming others rather than looking in the mirror closer to home. Actually we can see some of ourselves standing behind them in the same mirror. By turning emergency aid into something ongoing the west has screwed up a couple of African generations just as much, indeed I'd argue, more than the relatively brief colonial influence. The aforementioned Congo a good example. The country was left with one of the best infrastructures on the African continent when the Belgians left and rather than capitalise on that and their vast natural resources the place was left, nay actively made to go to rack and ruin.

How would I solve it? [unpopular opinion] re "colonise" places like the Congo with the UN with a large chunk of other African forces and civil servants making up the numbers. Tap into the natural resources and get those resources ot to the wider world of trade and business. Use the money to pay for infrastructure and pay for education for the Congalese. Foster it up to a point where they're running the place themselves in a democratic way. Leave. If the world doesn't do this the Chinese or similar will. Indeed the Chinese are already making inroads in Africa and not in such a good way.[/unpopular opinion]

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

You shouldn't be surprised by the vitriol OP.

"People with do anything, no matter how absurd, to avoid facing their own souls"-Carl Jung

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Jake1 wrote: »
    I know Im going to be lambasted over this, but Feck it, I really couldnt give a rats A*** at this stage.

Ive a pain in my nether regions from others looking for money .
    Myself and my family are at breaking point right now with bills. I worried sick about so many things, mainly because of lack of money. There are so many people around this country who are sick to their stomach with worry, who cant sleep at night because they cant dress or feed their children for christmas never mind toys.

Someone said this to the op, so I think you should do the same. Cancel your broadband, sell your computer. So thats one less bill and less worrying.

I really dont understand why some people are breaking point with bills and worried sick about so many things but have time to come onto boards and have a rant.
    It doesnt make sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

inmyday wrote: »
    Someone said this to the op, so I think you should do the same. Cancel your broadband, sell your computer. So thats one less bill and less worrying.

I really dont understand why some people are breaking point with bills and worried sick about so many things but have time to come onto boards and have a rant.

I really don't understand how people think they have the right to come on boards and disparage people and TELL them how to run their lives.
    It doesn't make sense to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You shouldn't be surprised by the vitriol OP.

"People will do anything, no matter how absurd, to avoid facing their own souls"-Carl Jung
    I can face my own soul pretty easily thanks very much. No anything required. What I can't face is throwing good resources after bad so we're in the same position in another African generations time and another generation of hand wringing celebs are whining about aid. Again. As Einstein said, the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result. That's what the world has been doing and that's absurd. What's beyond absurd in the case of Ireland is borrowing money we don't have, to send over a half billion euros in overseas aid. That's eye swivelingly daft.

Cheaper than a shrink. Plus if they've signed up for the year cancelling it mid flow won't make much diff. Computers once bought are cheap to run, especially laptops. Lightbulb levels of power. It wouldn't be close to giving up a pack a day ciggie habit or selling the car. Being frugal is one thing and a good thing too, going down the route of hair shirtism for the sake of it is not.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

“Deep down, below the surface of the average man's conscience, he hears a voice whispering, "There is something not right," no matter how much his rightness is supported by public opinion or moral code.”-Jung

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

“Deep down, below the surface of the average man's conscience, he hears a voice whispering, "There is something not right," no matter how much his rightness is supported by public opinion or moral code.”-Jung

So, what do you do for charity that explains all the pontificating? Or do you just donate money to charity organisations not knowing how much of your money is actually used for charity or where the money is going? Becasue if you really cared about African people you'd be out there helping them, not simply buying peace of mind by blindly donating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I'd like to give 7 euro a month to help feed a starving child in Africa. I'd like to help out homeless people here too but the fact that the government, banks and other institutions are daily coming up with new and ingenious ways to fleece me of my money makes it impossible right now.

It is possible to make a non-monetary contribution to worthy organisations by volunteering a few hours a week.

“The acceptance of oneself is the essence of the whole moral problem and the epitome of a whole outlook on life. That I feed the hungry, that I forgive an insult, that I love my enemy in the name of Christ -- all these are undoubtedly great virtues. What I do unto the least of my brethren, that I do unto Christ. But what if I should discover that the least among them all, the poorest of all the beggars, the most impudent of all the offenders, the very enemy himself -- that these are within me, and that I myself stand in need of the alms of my own kindness -- that I myself am the enemy who must be loved -- what then? As a rule, the Christian's attitude is then reversed; there is no longer any question of love or long-suffering; we say to the brother within us "Raca," and condemn and rage against ourselves. We hide it from the world; we refuse to admit ever having met this least among the lowly in ourselves.”-Jung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

People are generally very naive when it comes to the complexity of Africa's economic situation.

I have a good friend who travels frequently to Africa for work purposes. He was telling me about his last visit to the Congo. He travels to remote and dangerous places on work and as such himself and his colleagues are provided with drivers and security, often local. They are often poorly educated and work as drivers to earn a relatively decent living.

On this occasion, he noticed that his driver had a very good level of English and struck up a conversation. The driver told him he also spoke excellent French, among other languages. He asked about the drivers education, and the driver mentioned he was a doctor. My friend was a bit taken aback, and asked why a doctor wanted to drive a car.

It transpired that a European businessman was unhappy with the meager pay the drivers received and had increased their income substantially, far above the going rate. As a result, many doctors, suited to their job due to their language skills, had left rural areas to move to the city to work for this company. Thus, in paying more money to the drivers, the businessman had in fact rid several rural villages of their only medical support.

This is just one small example of how good intentions can cause damage to what is a complex society with its own difficult economic balances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

darokane wrote: »
    I really don't understand how people think they have the right to come on boards and disparage people and TELL them how to run their lives.
    It doesn't make sense to me.

What you going mad for??? Ya prick

I notice you didnt say anything to DjFlin, when he said the exact same thing to the op... Also, i wasnt telling anyone how to run their lives, just repeating what djflin said, its only a suggestion!

mod: poster banned.

Nope. Try again. What's with all this blanket quoting of oul Carl anyway? Maybe chime in with your own opinion?

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope. Try again. What's with all this blanket quoting of oul Carl anyway? Maybe chime in with your own opinion?

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.” -Jung

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.” -Jung

Do you have any thoughts of your own? Seriously, throwing quotes out in response to others' questions and points isn't making your case.

“It seems to be very hard for people to live with riddles or to let them live, although one would think that life is so full of riddles as it is that a few more things we cannot answer would make no difference. But perhaps it is just this that is so unendurable, that there are irrational things in our own psyche which upset the conscious mind in its illusory certainties by confronting it with the riddle of its existence.”-Jung

“It seems to be very hard for people to live with riddles or to let them live, although one would think that life is so full of riddles as it is that a few more things we cannot answer would make no difference. But perhaps it is just this that is so unendurable, that there are irrational things in our own psyche which upset the conscious mind in its illusory certainties by confronting it with the riddle of its existence.”-Jung

"But better die than live mechanically a life that is a repetition of repetitions." -- David Herbert Lawrence.

Millicent wrote: »
    "But better die than live mechanically a life that is a repetition of repetitions." -- David Herbert Lawrence.

“For two personalities to meet is like mixing two chemical substances: if there is any combination at all, both are transformed.” -Jung

• Advertisement

“For two personalities to meet is like mixing two chemical substances: if there is any combination at all, both are transformed.” -Jung

"I like turtles." -- Weird American kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The sad thing is most Europeans don't understand the political dynamics of Africa.

Journalist John Pilger argued that Live Aid did far more bad than good as 80% of the food ended up being confiscated by the armies in a brutal civil war and helped sustain the conflict for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

By their absence I presume the OP doesn't give a damn about women dying of hunger then. You're a monster :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

The best way you can help is to go over there with a group of volunteers and work on something small like an orphanage, not give money to Goal or Trocaire and watch it disappear on flights and accommodation, the work they do is great but you don't get the personal satisfaction of doing something good for someone else.

I did some small work in Kenya during TY and 5th year and had to go door to door and walk barefoot to raise money. And then some arse in Marks and Spencer turns around and says "ahh sure itll always be the same over there".

I wasnt going to say anything but the woman on the till was African and I was pissed off and told your one to "piss off back to the fifeties with your attitude".

Because when you work hard to help charity and stuff like that the last thing you want is some douche coming up and saying itll always be the same, its like getting slapped in the face...

Just a little rant...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

FionnK86 wrote: »
    The best way you can help is to go over there with a group of volunteers and work on something small like an orphanage, not give money to Goal or Trocaire and watch it disappear on flights and accommodation, the work they do is great but you don't get the personal satisfaction of doing something good for someone else.

I'm not sure I'd agree on this. For the price of your flights and associated costs, you'd pay a lot of locals to do the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The best way you can help is to go over there with a group of volunteers and work on something small like an orphanage, not give money to Goal or Trocaire and watch it disappear on flights and accommodation six-figure CEO salaries
    Fixed it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Waryaa

Slydice wrote: »
    We certainly don't look like we do...

It struck me when I saw that video last month that 30,000 children died in 3 months because of the Famine in Africa.

But since then, what the **** did we care? Nah **** it, we give a **** about our taxes... we care about our dole... we want our rent paid... and then the price of getting locked on booze?

I hadn't even noticed it before that video and haven't seen anything else happen about it on the news since.

The only thing on the wikipedia article is that Kenya invaded Somalia to save some western tourists. wow

Round of applause for us all and lets take a bow (Especialy you smart ass reply number 1).

F... famine and F... Kenya :)

F... the world for invading Somali waters.

I agree with OP.

Let's give more aid to countries like uganda who are landlocked but seem to use their funds to buy anti-naval fighter jets
    :eek:

F... Uganda and F... Barundi

F... Ethiopia also.

mloc wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd agree on this. For the price of your flights and associated costs, you'd pay a lot of locals to do the work.
    Pretty much. Harsh though it does sound, charity tourism's money could be better spent.

well I think you should do the same , now what? :)

• Advertisement

mloc wrote: »

Well in our case we did pay the local workers. We also used a friend within KLM to secure cheap flights as a group and stayed what would be 2 star accomodation. Mind you the place where we stayed was the cheapest but safest. No sense in getting robbed at gunpoint for a cheap saving. Anyway the workers at the hotel and bar didnt mind 30 odd irishmen coming in after a hard day at the site wanting to drown their sorrows with Tusker beer:)

We spent OUR MONEY ON THE BEER NOT THE CHARITIES (i know some smart alleck will say you spent charity money on celebrations)

isn't Ireland poor ? how can you help us when you owe the IMF more money than Somalia does.:confused:

Waryaa wrote: »
    isn't Ireland poor ? how can you help us when you owe the IMF more money than Somalia does.:confused:

Unfortunately thats true, but in 5 years Ireland will be growing again. And there is little chance of a famine or Holy War breaking out in Ireland again(northern ireland WASNT a holy war).

Sadly this cant be said for Somalia, and it may take many years for economic prosperity to happen. But lets make it happen in our generation and not leave it up to the next one!

Its really better to look at overall happiness of a country, Happiness is better than wealth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Maybe its the generation i'm from. But i can honestly say that i couldn't care less about poor people in Africa dying. They have had lots of chances and hundreds of millions in aid, but they keep screwing it up. Let them die. It doesn't affect me.

Maybe its the generation i'm from. But i can honestly say that i couldn't care less about poor people in Africa dying. They have had lots of chances and hundreds of millions in aid, but they keep screwing it up. Let them die. It doesn't affect me.

Yeah but Europe has had nearly 2000 years to get democracy,law and economics right and we still haven't perfected it, you cant expect Africa a new player on the world stage to adapt after 100 years of colonialism, nor can you give up after corruption.

The fact is that in a hundred years time, when 3rd world countries have become 2nd and maybe 1st world, were screwed. They will have untapped resources and we'll have "the land of saints and scholars"?Who dont care whether people live or die.

And whats hundreds of millions to you?Can you say you have actually suffered because of the aid we give to poorer countries?Not as much as they have for sure?And what would you do with that money?if divided equally you'd probably get Scrubs on box set or a new car, but so many poorer people would have died:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

if divided equally you'd probably get Scrubs on box set or a new car

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Africa is a tragedy. Yet, Ireland is to BORROW €850m (even though we're up to our tits) to donate next year to overseas relief.

Africa has been torn apart by war, tyrants, etc and much of its misery is of its own making. And yet you expect the West to continually bail it out, when, allegedly, only 25% of all aid donated gets through, with much of it being hijacked to fund wars? Get real man.

Have you a source for that? Not doubting you, just can't believe the figure is that high! I'm all for helping out whenever possible but right now it's not or least shouldn't be considered possible.

Charity begins at home, how many nurses/teachers/people on the poverty line would that help in Ireland?

ETA I obviously meant how many nurses or teachers would that employ not saying nurses and teachers are on the poverty line.

FionnK86

Ireland is poor without the crippling effects of war and anarchy. why is that ? maybe you should give some money to your government.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah but Europe has had nearly 2000 years to get democracy,law and economics right and we still haven't perfected it, you cant expect Africa a new player on the world stage to adapt after 100 years of colonialism, nor can you give up after corruption.

The fact is that in a hundred years time, when 3rd world countries have become 2nd and maybe 1st world, were screwed. They will have untapped resources and we'll have "the land of saints and scholars"?Who dont care whether people live or die.

And whats hundreds of millions to you?Can you say you have actually suffered because of the aid we give to poorer countries?Not as much as they have for sure?And what would you do with that money?if divided equally you'd probably get Scrubs on box set or a new car, but so many poorer people would have died:(

Just because they don't have democracy etc is not my concern. Hundreds of millions to me is extra taxes, a dysfunctional health system, a crumbling education system, an antiquated water pipe system, little or no mental health provisions, lack of care for the elderly, lack of special needs teachers in our schools. I can honestly say that given the option to change all of the above in Ireland, or use the money to save a million people in Africa, that i don't know, and that their own government doesn't want to help, i'd be paying less tax tomorrow and not losing a minutes sleep about it.

PS I'd be more likely to get the Inbetweeners box set, Scrubs is sooooooo 2008. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Ok,
    Lets use logic.
    Both you or I cannot say how many charities are legit and how many are fraudulent. Because both of us do not know how many are what. All we can state is that some are legit, some are not, right?

So lets take a legit charity and a fraudulent charity. Money is both donated to them. While one will accurately count donations and officially declare money to be sent forward. The other doesnt do the same.

How is that?
    Because at the end of the day someone counts the daily donations. Someone deducts the operating costs, someone then moves the money along to those who are receiving.... see this is about people. about man. And last time I checked the world wasnt an honest place.
    So while you can say some charities are true and legit. You are right. But also when a guy like me says some are not. I am also right. We are talking about people here.
    All charities have to publish their accounts. They are open to scrutiny, examined by independent accountants. This stupid thing of 'half the money disappears down their pockets', this excuse that keeps being rolled out, if a few ignorant people think like that, don't you think the Charities Commission may have thought of that possibility? Charities are subject to rules and regulations and controls just like anything else, sure there may be individuals who'd try to pocket money, you'll find them in any job and in any walk of life, there will always be unscrupulous, greedy people, that's life, but the charity as a whole is wholly accountable. We just can't let the smallest chance of such a person existing at the very charity we'd like to donate to prevent us from doing so.
    Saying the charity may be fraudulent is a handy way of avoiding having to put your hand in your pocket, I'll give ya that.

He does. While I think he's part of the problem, he's raised the profile of parts of the continent and helped downgrade their debt.
    As for the "powerful nations", maybe the African elites should take your advice. After all it's their country. At the height of the Ethiopian famine in the 80's their own government were spending more on armaments than all the charity money put together.

Nope this oft trotted out explanation won't wash for me any more either. Somalia? It was colonised by European powers(France/UK) for a period from the late 19th century to the mid 20th. Hardly centuries of oppression. Oh and the same goes for Rwanda BTW. The Congo for longer, but not much longer. As for oil? The Congo is considered one of the richest nations on earth as far as natural resources go, yet it's one of the poorest on earth.
    Bono did that alright, but helping to downgrade their respective government's debt does nothing to help the people. Our tax dollars are used in 'overseas aid' and sent to third world governments where it disappears into the pockets of individuals in those governments. It never reaches the people because looking after the people is the last thing on their minds. This is why most of the bigger charities try to distribute aid themselves as much as possible, or altogether.
    How long are we prepared to wait for those governments to grow consciences? If people were allowed to die of hunger in a western country there would be outrage against its government.
    By the way it was the Belgians that got the benefit of most of the Congo's natural wealth, while creating the Hutu/Tutsi divide that ultimately resulted in them wanting to hack each other to pieces. The western world got their share out of Africa, now they can't run away from it fast enough.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Dude, the famine ended hundreds of years ago, that charity is taking you for a mug. ;)
    You should do stand-up.

A fiver a month might help save one child's life & while that might seem worthwhile, it's a short term fix to a long term problem.

But the question still remains - does foreign aid & charity work in African countries actually help the problem, or does it actually help worsen the problem?

It seems no matter how much money you throw at this problem, that it has no positive effect. The only conclusion that you can draw from this is that money is not actually the solution & more than likely is actually part of the problem.
    In regard to the many millions of people in real trouble though, maybe it's a case of not enough money. A million here and there, even twenty million, can't go as far as it should when you have to use it to provide food, shelter, medicine and clothing. I agree that it seems to be a never ending story of poverty and suffering, I just don't think it helps to think 'well there's no point in giving my few quid coz it won't do nothing'.
    I think giving nothing does nothing. Nobody's asking for your soul. A few quid is a little that helps a lot. We should probably be putting pressure on our governments to use our tax money better in overseas aid, and give it directly to the people on the ground in the charities involved, rather than to the governments of countries that do nothing to help their people.

The sad thing is most Europeans don't understand the political dynamics of Africa.
    Fuck it's politics. I don't want to feed its politics. The simple fact is that people are dying of starvation. Giving a few quid will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

people are sick of trying to help africa.... if they dont want to help themselves what is the point? offer the males free vasectomies instead.... no more new kids born there no more starving kids then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

It's a reflection of our sadistic leaders for whom power and money are their only God. How wealthy is the Royal family in England and the Vatican is supposedly the walthiest country in the World. Have these people EVER helped Africa? The west has done nothing but loot Africa. It does not need the west interfering in their affairs, like that witch Hillary Clinton does, she goes to countries telling them what to do because it's in America's interest. Personally, I would love to see the unification of that great continent, for it's own good, they have a vast wealth in terms minerals, metals, oil and coal. If the people were allowed to benefit from the sale of such things, they might not be as poor as they are.

Eh what? Africa is hardly a new player on the world stage. To suggest such is culturism at it's finest.
    Eh what, Part Deux.
    And whats hundreds of millions to you?
    It's a lot when we're borrowing to pay it. The HSE at one point was looking for 500 million to help shore up shortcomings. That's 100 million below what we're borrowing to supply overseas aid.
    Can you say you have actually suffered because of the aid we give to poorer countries?
    See above. 600 million euros is not chump change. Yet.
    Not as much as they have for sure?And what would you do with that money?if divided equally you'd probably get Scrubs on box set or a new car, but so many poorer people would have died:(
    Eh no. Emotive? Certainly, but no. Just no.
    Johro wrote: »
    Fuck it's politics. I don't want to feed its politics. The simple fact is that people are dying of starvation. Giving a few quid will help.
    Yea we said that for the last half century. Maybe pick a different record from the shelf and actually make an actual long term difference. Otherwise it's just the same old rinse and repeat. If we had said "WTF, this isn't working" a generation ago the same images of people dying would not be as prevalent today. Modern "African" charity is akin to a band aid for a gunshot wound at this stage. Sure it alleviates some people's guilt and bolsters others ego just because they built a well on holiday, but it does fcuk all for the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

:D

Probably some German guy saying the same about the Irish and the Greeks!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't think the consensus is that aid will transform African countries - but if it's making tiny differences in individual villages etc, I'm personally happy with that. Better than nothing. I wouldn't like it to be stopped completely and will continue to donate, and if that funds aid workers going over there to help people help themselves, then great.
    But the guilt-tripping - **** that. It's not right that it's made into the responsibility of others - and it's unfair on the people themselves for a dependence culture to be created.
    I don't get the "Let them die" mindset though. It's not children's fault that they're born into such madness, it's not women's fault that they're considered lesser than dirt, it's not men's fault that they're forced to become killing machines from childhood...

There but for the grace etc - we're just lucky to have been born here...

If we had said "WTF, this isn't working" a generation ago the same images of people dying would not be as prevalent today. Modern "African" charity is akin to a band aid for a gunshot wound at this stage. Sure it alleviates some people's guilt and bolsters others ego just because they built a well on holiday, but it does fcuk all for the long term.
    I am saying 'WTF, this isn't working', but in the meantime a band aid is better than nothing.
    As for alleviating guilt, you'd have to be feeling guilty. I don't. It's not my fault people are dying. It doesn't bolster my ego either. I don't have that much to give. They're shitty things to say to people who at least try to help in some way.
    Sure there are lots of things that would have to change to make a real difference in that part of the world. I'm just not holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement