Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready for IVF with ICSI....

Options
  • 24-11-2011 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    new to this site but unfortunately not the whole ttc thing... My hubby and I have so far had 7 iui's, 6 failed and 1 pregnancy(on the 3rd iui) which I lost at 10 weeks. :( We started the first iui in Feb 09 and finished the last one in Nov/Dec 10, last year. I had to take some time out as the last treatment upset me so much that I nearly had a meltdown.. I think maybe it was all too much in quite a short space of time. We are very lucky to have a son, who is now 6 and conceived naturally.
    Well, we are now ready to move on to the next step, which they told us would be ICSI. We attend the Galway Fertility Clinic, I was just wondering if there are many of you doing this in Galway at the minute. I don't know too much about the actual proceedure of ICSI but am planning on ringing the clinic to book in for the 'Talk' - introduction... I am kinda hoping that we might be able to do it in the summer some time but don't know what the waiting list is like in Galway now, can't believe its been a year since we were there last.... phew... that year flew!!
    Hope to chat to some of you lovely ladies and I hope to hear of lots of success stories for you all in the coming months.... fingers crossed for you and myself...x:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I don'y have any personal experience of IVF, but I have just found out that a girl I know is 13 weeks pregnant with twins after her first round of IVF and she had the ICSI done.

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time, but hopefully this little story will help you feel a little bit more positive about the next step in your journey.

Good luck and take care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭TeresaM

Thank you so much for your reply Crazy Cat Lady, its so good to hear stories like that :D fingers crossed we will have just the same luck as your friend.....

I am still trying to get my head around the fact that we are actually going to do it now. I just wish I could start right away LOLLL.... patience!! I am hoping to go ahead with it in the summer some time so we can have time to get organised. My hubby fishes away for 6 weeks at a time so we will also have to time it around that :rolleyes:

anyone else attending Galway Fertility Unit?? Would love to hear from you, and proceedures they do and stuff.
    Thanks girls :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi Teresa, I attended GFC, but was luckily successful on the 3rd clomid cycle. We had unexplained infertility and had been trying for a year, then a year ago, we got referred to Dr. Conway there. There was an initial hormonal imbalance (high prolactin) so I was put on meds to correct that and told to give it six months naturally. After 6 months further of no success, in June we returned and I started Clomid. The first cycle was cancelled as I overstimulated, the second went as planned, but didnt have success and the third (august) cycle we got our great news.

We found out it was twins at our 7+5 scan there, but on our 9+5 scan we were told one of our little ones stopped growing at 8 weeks. I am 15+5 today.

A friend has attended for ISCI there too, however there are several complicated infertility issues on both sides so their tries were unsuccessful - I think they have been advised to go abroad for treatment not available in Ireland.

On the whole, from speaking to people who have attended, and through my own experience, the doctors wont give you false hopes, and are straight talking - it would be so easy for them to promise us the moon and we would pay gladly, but they are careful to advise you if they think something wont work for you. With my friend, they could easily have pushed her to do another few cycles with them, (she still had eggs left there) and banked the money, but they didnt - they told her straight where her best chances were. I found the nurses absolutely wonderful, and I felt very comfortable with them.

I wish you the very best of success in GFC. This is a great forum for support -I have made some great friends here in the last year or so. I hope you visit often and soon have your BFP. ((lotsa hugs))

Hi Neyite,
    thank you so much for posting, wow, congratulations on your bfp :) what wonderful news... and of course I hope that your friends have lots of luck if and when they travel abroad for further treatment.
    All the treatments (iui's) that we have done so far were all in GFU, so I was just interested so hear about the IVF protocol. Great to hear from others going to the same place you know...
    It is all such a long process, we have now been ttc our second for 5 and half years now. It is tough at times but sure, it has to be done :)
    I wish that I could just get on with it now that we have decided we are ready to go forward, but we will have to get our names down for the IVF Talk... hoping for maybe some tme around the end of Jan.... need to ring them shortly I'm sure and see what is available. Pretty sure we will only get one go at this financially speaking, so no presure, LOLLL
    I am looking forward to hearing all the lovely and difficult stories from the wonderful women that are here helping each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Not attending Galway, but gearing up for ICSI with SIMS in Dec hopefully.

Best of luck :D

• Advertisement

Oh wow, good luck with it honey xxxx Please do come back in and let me know how you are getting on and whats happening... hoping everything works out for you <3

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Starting ICSI treatment for first time in January with Dr Conway in Galway. Good luck everyone. I will keep you all posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 molly08

Hi All .. Great to hear some of your success stories, and to all those who were successful, congrats, and to those of you who were not so lucky, i wish you every luck in the future.We are attending the Rotunda. We have just had the tests done to assess our situation, as we knew due to a medical condition my partners 'boys' dont swim. They seemed very positive about our results, tho they said we are definitly looking at ICSI. We have been referred to the HARI unit now, so we are going to go to the open meeting there soon, as we have to try and figure out a time scale, as the procedure is very expensive... would love to hear some of your experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MiaMc

Hi all this is my first time on here so a bit nervous and not sure of the lingo / abreviations used? I'm sure I'l get the hang of it. I'm gearing up for 2nd try ICSI we are attending Clane this time last attempt was 3 years ago which wasn't succesfull and it's a major strain financially but will of course be worth it if it works so fingers crossed!!
    Looking forward to chatting with you guys it us good to hear similar stories and all advice given and shared can only help???? Xxx heres hoping peops!! For all of us!!!!!

MiaMc wrote: »
    Hi all this is my first time on here so a bit nervous and not sure of the lingo / abreviations used? I'm sure I'l get the hang of it. I'm gearing up for 2nd try ICSI we are attending Clane this time last attempt was 3 years ago which wasn't succesfull and it's a major strain financially but will of course be worth it if it works so fingers crossed!!
    Looking forward to chatting with you guys it us good to hear similar stories and all advice given and shared can only help???? Xxx heres hoping peops!! For all of us!!!!!
    Ps hi molly08 our problem lies with the little swimmers too .... The count is a bit low so it is def icsi both times .. They say they only need one so let's hope they pick the best on the day xxxx
    I start nasal spray on thurs and whole cycle will prob take about 4 weeks altigether !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Hey All,

Best of Luck to the new comers.

Our Nov cycle was cancelled 2 days before E Collection, due to a rogue hormone not behaving itself. It's a very rare thing appara, but in fairness they caught it, it would never have worked due to this hormone.

Anyway, we started again in Jan and it all went swimingly, I am currently 10dpt ( 10 days post transfer ) and nervous as hell :rolleyes:

We are attending the SIMS and I cannot recommend them highly enough, after 3 failed cycles elsewhere, they kept doing tests until they came up with a comprehensive view of me. They are amazing.

3 more days left

hello again everyone
    just want to wish everyone all the best with all the tests / procedures and general poking and proding that hopefully brings us all closer to our goal !!!

And hi to Merrilady you must be sooo nervous what are you doing to pass the time?? any tips??? i will be thinking of you ...glad you are having good experience with your clinic it makes a difference! i will be hoping for a good outcome for you !!!
    Very Best of luck xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone, it's great to see a little gang here... How is everyone doing? Merrilady, how did you get on honey?
    I am writing this from my phone so will keep it short and sweet for now. We have just started the ICSI short protocol, I took my first injection last night.. My hubby still away fishing but will be home on Friday night.. Thank god, miss him a lot.
    I hope everyone is well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 smellycat2010

Hi girls,
    Just wanted to introduce myself - we are due to have icsi in the next couple of months - hubby has low count and motility and I have low amh. I have just had hysteroscopy and polyps removed so just waiting to recover from that and hopefully full steam ahead for May. We are attending the Merrion Fertility Clinic and really pleased with the care we received so far.
    I'll be popping in to see how everyone is getting on.
    smellycat

Hi Smellycat, welcome to the thread :) great to hear from you.. Hopefully the time will fly by until you are ready to get started... Wishing you the very best of luck with your ICSI... look forward to chatting with you over the next while. :)
    As for me, am EXTREMELY tired this evening, just in the door from work and having a quick bite to eat.. Very early night for me tonight.. Think I'll head off after I send my son to bed and do injection at around 8. Work in morning again...

Hi girls
    How is everyone getting on? Merrilady? Molly08?
    Teresa M best of luck and fair play to you if you doing your injections yourself I am black and blue!!
    Smellycat good luck to you too

I had started long protocol for icsi and by day 8 scan I only had 4 follies :(:( doc cancelled the cycle :(( so was bit upset but will hope to get back on track in a month or so... Hope I respond better to different meds and protocol?? I have low AMH also and you feel like time is running out!!
    It is great to join in here for support cx
    Best of luck to all xxxxx

Hi MiaMc, oh its a pity your cycle wasn't so good this time. :( Hopefully they will makes some changes for the next cycle and it will be so much more positive.. What meds were you on? I am on day 4 of stimulation tonight so started cetrotide. I take it just after puregon (200iu) I dunno what I was at tonight but when I took out pen with puregon it was bleeding on way out! :mad: so silly.. nice bruise tomorrow... the cetrotide went fine, but omg was I itchy after it for about 30 mins... anyone else get this? nearly drove me mental... lol
    How long will you have to wait before you can start your next cycle? Keep up your positivity honey, we are always here for support when you need it. <3
    Gosh I never even thought about the fact that it might not stim me.... have scan on Saturday. will have my fingers so crossed that all goes well and there is a good response..
    How are all you other ladies doing? I hope everyone is full of positivity and baby dust :D

Hey All
    Teresa M I was on the global f pen and luverus injections I know each clinic is different the previous time I was on gonal f and menopur I think it was 3 yrs ago?! So they will change my meds again.... Im back to clinic 4 th April to go through everything
    I had bleed already tho I think I have to wait till next period.... God I tell ya it drags out this ivf thing!!
    This forum is a lifeline for support!! Thanks
    And hey I'd say you will be fine!! Keep doing as ya are.
    One thing iv learned Is that we worry so much about doing everything so right .. Eating veg you hate, no wine, no ciggies, no nice frothy coffees, no stress, overdosing on all the vitamins etc , accupunrure!! And you know what Im not sure it makes any difference I am beginning to think it really is the luck of the draw ??
    It kinda consumes you tho you can't help it so best of luck to us all I'm just trying to stay sane.. Ha ha yeh like that's possible xx
    Good luck to us all girlies!!!!

Hey MiaMc,
    ah so you are back on the 4th April... its not too far away, I hope it goes quick for you. Sometimes it does and other times it drags and drags doesn't it!! lol....
    Thank goodness everything went great yesterday, I have 8 follicles on left and 6 on right :D I was so surprised... and delighted of course. They rang me when we were on our way home and we are to stay on the same dose and go back down tomorrow for another scan to see how things are.. Everything was looking great tho. 2 were good size and then a lot of the others were between 11mm and 14mm. so we'll see what happens tomorrow.
    I totally hear you on the over analysing everything. And you are right, I think a lot of it will come down to chance in the end. When I look around at the ppl that are getting pregnant around me I wonder why it goes the way it goes sometimes. I know a girl from here that was with a guy that used to hammer her! She has 3 children now, and I remember hearing on her second child she was taking E and getting really drunk out at night when she was pregnant!!! Unreal... and there was me doing everything 'right' and nothing! Her wee baby was perfect too.... So I think we do just over do all the 'right' things. But at least we know that we have given it our best try I guess..
    How are you today? I am just sitting in front of the telly watching Nigellas Kitchen :) yummy.. The weather is fantastic today :) we went for a wee walk earlier which was lovely. I just plan on relaxing for the rest of the day as we will have to leave about 8am for our scan and 11.45 in Galway.. such a lot of travelling.. but worth it of course...

Hi Al
    Teresa M that is great news .. Sounds like your follies are coming along great!! Only a few more days for ya I'd say. And your right it is worth it ...you have to do everything for peace of mind.. Knowing that you gave it the best shot!!
    It is a cruel world when you see certain people having kids and behaving like that it doesn't make sense how some girls get pregnant so easily , doing drugs and drinking and smoking and still manage to conceive naturally!! Unfair!!
    Ah well that's life huh??
    Rant over.... AFM .....I'm hungover today Hun thanks !! I went out last night and had a bottle too much vino!! Let off a bita steam you know xxx it was a cracker of a day but I suffered indoors:( off tommorrow hope it's nice again.
    Best of luck with your scan missus let me know ..... Fair play to ya that is a bit of a drive to the clinic how come You didn't go to a closer one ?? If ya don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jomella

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to posting but feel i need some reassurance'
    I am on day 8 post et onour 3 icsi cycle, last 2 failed.
    I was wondering had anyone had bad period like cramps. Going out of my mind as too early to test. has anyone gone thru similar ?

Desperate....................

Hi jomelia, I'm sorry honey I have no experience to give you advice. This is my first ICSI. Cramps can be a good sign tho, maybe things growing and snuggling in... I'm so sorry I can't be any more helpful :-(. My fingers are very much crossed for you tho, please let us know how you get on honey. Maybe post in another thread and you might get a better reply... Xxx
    MiaMc, delighted to hear you went out and had a good blow out honey, it most definately has to be done!!! I done it before this cycle started!! Hangover is a killer tho!! Lol.. We got on great at scan, think we are back down on wed for egg retrieve :-) just waiting for call from clinic.. Oh, and this is closest clinic :( crazy huh!! We r in Donegal so it's same length to dub too. Was up most of night with our 6yr old son who had temp of 104. We r shattered... Thank god he's ok tho, it's his tonsils - again!!!
    How you doing today? Weather even better today :) can't wait to get home!!

Hi all
    Jomella my answer is probably the same as Teresa m in that I'm really not sure but from reading other people's posts on different forums is that it can be a good sign ?? The two week wait is hell isnt it !! Thinking of ya cx
    Teresa M wow you are a trooper... Hope your little boy is okay. So big day tommorrow missus !! I wish you so much luck!!! Here's hoping for lotsa eggs!!! Try to stay calm huns I will be dying to hear how you get on ..... Xxxx
    And I'm enjoying the weather hoping for time to go by quick!! Although I am feeling a bit anxious all over again!! Little flutters in the chest.. Ha I think I do be having a panic attack some days? Ha I think I'm going mad more like xxxx anyway best of luck!!!
    And to everyone else still on their journey ... Take care and fingers crossed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 StaryBliss

Hi Girls,

New to this and just starting out on our journey.Attending Sims clinic and due to go for icsi in May due to husbands low sperm count.Delighted to hear all the sucess stories....and any advise ye can give?Its a frustrating journey....and one nobody expects :(An Emotional Rollarcoaster ahead I'd imagine ;)

Hey welcome starry bliss you are right it is a roller coaster ride this whole thing but you should get loads of support on here it is great to chat to people going through the same process.
    It's hard to give advice as everyone's cycle is different eg diff meds and protocols but I do hear good things about sims clinic so I think your in good hands.
    Hi to everyone else too xx
    Hope you are all enjoying the good weather!!

Hi girlies
    Welcome StaryBliss, good to have you on board for a while with us :) we are here for support/questions and just wee chats anytime :D I hope your stay is a short one ;)
    MiaMc how you today honey? I am just home from Galway after having Egg Retrieval.. am still a bit dopey and resting in bed now. We had 15 eggs collected!!! She was happy with them all, said maybe one or two not quite mature but would look further... wow, can't believe it. So delighted with those numbers. They will ring us in the morning with the numbers that fertilised successfuly.. StaryBliss, we are doing icsi too! I am just going to rest now for the rest of the evening. Am very tired. Will keep you all posted on how the little eggies are doing :D

Hey all
    Hope everyone is well and has enjoyed the good weather:)
    Teresa M congrats on the EC glad it went so well for ya!!! So plenty lil embryos now please god!! Just relax now hun the very best of luck with the transfer xx
    All the same with me thanks keeping busy in work passing time xx

Hi MiaMc, well, I am all sorted now, 2 embies on board! I couldn't believe it when the clinic rang and said that we only had 4 maybe 5 that fertilised well... I have to say I was really dissappointed about that on Friday... but the ones that did make it are ok. We had our Egg Transfer yesterday morning... One of the eggs was dividing too fast and one was slow so she picked the best two. I have to say they are just so lovely down there, it really does help! Of course I'm going off my head now with the thought of waiting for 2 weeks... and not knowing what is going on in there...:rolleyes: what am I like!!
    I have to say I am so afraid now that it won't happen, :( I have been so positive all along and now I feel myself wondering...
    anyway, enough of that...
    How are you keeping this week? Any fun happing in your neck of the woods? All is quiet here, I have taken a week off work to relax and then it will be back to the grind stone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 smellycat2010

Hi all and welcome Starrybliis,

Teresa - Glad to hear the transfer went well. Try to stay positive, there is every chance that it will work out for you and you will get your BFP. I'm sure the next two weeks will be torture with the waiting so make sure you look after yourself. Were they able to freeze the other embryos?

As for me, we have our consultation tomorrow and hope to be told we can start in May. We both have a week off at the end of April so once we know where we stand tomorrow we might book a break for a few days. Money is tight but the waiting is killing me and I find I need to occupy my time and mind or else I will go mad!

• Advertisement

Hi girls
    Hey Teresa M hunny It does make a difference When you are happy with the guys in the clinic!! And well done all the same you have two embies hopefully nestling away:) I know it's hard to believe when 15 eggs....become 5 fertilised cells it's amazing yet I would and was the same ... I expected all to fertilise ( last time for me out of 9 eggs they said 7 fragmented over night ....only telling me this while I was on the hosp bed getting two embies) I was just upset with the approach!
    But hey do not be worrying keep positive and its good you have the week off relax --watch movies-eat chocolate I have a good feeling for you girl xxxx
    AFM all is a bit quiet for me just waiting ... In clinic wed so I will know more then ...
    Hey smellycat hope all is good with you keep us posted xxx
    Hey to everyone else :)

Advertisement