Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options
  • 24-11-2011 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

It's looking very well, very impressed by the way it's laid out. Does anyone know when it will be opening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

should be before christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Looks like this Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Hopefully this year they wont be charging 7 Eur for a pork sandwich roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

how many of the stalls will be selling local produce?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

there was a list of traders on the website last year but there isn't one for this year. Does anyone know who is setting up at it this time round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Took a wander around today. Think it might look better than last year alright.
    6.50 for a hot whisky though :-o Hope they are large measures.
    A few less food stalls than last year. Two Crepe places I think and a 'real Italian' coffee booth (whatever that means) for the caffine heads and a Hot Dog place amongst others.
    Theres one of those twisty slides for the kids but I suggest parents bring a spare pair of pants for them cos its gonna be very hard to keep the landing area dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

skelliser wrote: »
    how many of the stalls will be selling local produce?

Define "local"

For example, is Charcoal Grill (yes, they have a stall) local in your eyes? I don't see too many "Irish" people working in their stores ....

Will the place that sells crocodile burgers be there, never got one last year but will splurge out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Is it the 'Galway' Charcoal Grill or the other crowd that did the Ocean Race?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

JustMary wrote: »
    Define "local"

For example, is Charcoal Grill (yes, they have a stall) local in your eyes? I don't see too many "Irish" people working in their stores ....
    No but they work and spend their money locally so it should be good enough for you.

And yes im fairly sure its not the Galway Charcoal Grill that run that stall in the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Define "local"

What the hell??? These people live and spend locally and if thats the way we want to think local, do we have to ask every Irish person what county they are from when we enter a business?????

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Really bugs me when people criticise non-national people having business in Ireland. We've been in the EU since the 1970's, this was the whole point!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I have heard that the cost of having a stall there has increased by 1/3 so expect to pay that and probably more. It would be unfortunate if it was more expensive than last year, as higher prices will leave a bitter taste in everyones mouths, and it wont have the same atmosphere as last year, which i think was added to by the "continental" weather we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

I don't see too many "Irish" people working in their stores ....

I think you should clarify what you mean here as the remark could be interpreted in all sorts of ways.
    However based on what you stated, using your eyes to judge if someone is "Irish" is pretty ridiculous.
    BTW they do promote the market as a "continental market" so you would expect to find people from there outside the district ??

I have heard that the cost of having a stall there has increased by 1/3 so expect to pay that and probably more. It would be unfortunate if it was more expensive than last year, as higher prices will leave a bitter taste in everyones mouths, and it wont have the same atmosphere as last year, which i think was added to by the "continental" weather we had.

In that case they can sod off, i know a few pubs in the area who done great deals on food last year when the market was on.
    The recession is well and truly worse than last year and people are worried about the budget so if these guys think they can charge over 7 Eur for a sandwich well i think they will have very little customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

They'd hardly put up prices by 1/3 ? They were so expensive last year they alienated a large number of people from eating in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

but but but everyone was saying how great it was last year to see the germanisation of Eyre Square regardless of the high cost of products or the dimly lit throughfares..
    It's definitely not a galway market.

snubbleste wrote: »
    but but but everyone was saying how great it was last year to see the germanisation of Eyre Square regardless of the high cost of products or the dimly lit throughfares..
    It's definitely not a galway market.

I must admit it was lovely to walk through, adds a lovely festive air to the square.

I must admit it was lovely to walk through, adds a lovely festive air to the square.

Where's the crib with the baby jesus? Huh? huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Isn't it normally in the "Browne doorway" ? ;)

"The Browne Doorway
    Dated 1627, was originally the entrance to the Browne family mansion in Abbeygate Street. Moved to its current position in 1904 by the Galway Archological Society. "
    See we all learned something today :D

Unless they're not allowed put it there anymore.

• Advertisement

Isn't it normally in the "Browne doorway" ? ;)

"The Browne Doorway
    Dated 1627, was originally the entrance to the Browne family mansion in Abbeygate Street. Moved to its current position in 1904 by the Galway Archological Society. "
    See we all learned something today :D

Unless they're not allowed put it there anymore.

I already knew that about the Brownes.
    For health & safety reasons the baby jebus can no longer be seen relaxing in public with his family. GCC demotes all religions equally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

never got one last year but will splurge out this year.
    The recession is well and truly worse than last year and people are worried about the budget so if these guys think they can charge over 7 Eur for a sandwich well i think they will have very little customers.

Off topic but you really live up to your name :)

I love the market, loved all the food, I thought there was a nice atmosphere there, the only thing that made me want to scratch my own eyes out was having buggies rammed into the back of my legs, but that's not the market organisers fault, I just need to learn to go when the toddlers are in bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was in town today, saw a few stall being set up. Saw a sign with 'mulled wine €5'! If that's for just a normal cup then it's daylight robbery.

Anyone know will that German beer tent be there?
    Never went to it last year, how much is a pint there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anyone know will that German beer tent be there?
    Never went to it last year, how much is a pint there?
    Steins were €6.
    As for the prices, if ye think its too dear then dont buy anything, its a matter of choice, no point whingeing and whineing over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

As for the prices, if ye think its too dear then dont buy anything, its a matter of choice, no point whingeing and whineing over and over.

Totally agree. If you don't like it then stay away and leave your money elsewhere.

Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Steins were €6.

Whinging and whining aside I think it is a responsibility of the council to ensure a reasonably priced market stall rent for stalls selling reasonably priced produce, this market is in a public space a space used by all of the public not just the affluent least they could do was show some ahem .....christmas spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Christmas is about spending too much money. There is no baby Jesus there because teh crib was burnt down last time they put it up.

Steins were €6.

How many pints in a stein?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

How many pints in a stein?

one, well a bit less. they always overcharge for 'exotic' goods in this country. on the other hand the council is charging them enough rent.
    I don't know why they have the beer tent there in the first place. at the real christmas markets folks tend to drink mulled wine or turbo punch. it keeps out the cold more. five euro for a bit of hot spicy wine is a bit much.

Advertisement