Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Robbo wrote: »
    By councillers (sic), you mean the Galway City Business Association?

no, not really. They cannot do anything unless they get the go ahead form the council. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Whats your opinion on the regular market? I find it to e very overpriced, the butcher, woman selling cakes/buns, jams and the like, all way overpriced for what you get and could get elsewhere for far less. Markets are inherently dearer in my experience.

I like it. I worked there years ago, so have a certain nostalgia-factor fondness for the community it had I must admit. It is a little tight (not the best shopping place for those with buggies or wheelchairs) and some of the stalls do have steeper prices than say a market further out...

But.. there are things that people look forward to each week, getting their curry, their doughnuts, their olives, whatever it is. And I do think there is a way larger choice of gifts and food than there was in The Christmas Market, all in a smaller space. I'd love to see it expand, but I also love the location.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

no, not really. They cannot do anything unless they get the go ahead form the council. :rolleyes:
    The GSBA bring the proposal to the Council; and would this go ahead involve say, a majority on the council? If so, we're past the " couple of councillers with too much spare time on their hands that thought it might be a good idea".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

LOL - I wouldn't agree with that at all - unless they have mad cravings for overpriced battered sausages. I don't agree with he "at our invitation" either. Its only a couple of councillers with too much spare time on their hands that thought it might be a good idea, but then again, they don't seem to know much about anything really.
    These markets are all over Europe, and are very much a part of life on the continent, the first couple of years here have been interesting, as time goes on no doubt we'll be putting our own local spin on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

LOL - I wouldn't agree with that at all - unless they have mad cravings for overpriced battered sausages. I don't agree with he "at our invitation" either. Its only a couple of councillers with too much spare time on their hands that thought it might be a good idea, but then again, they don't seem to know much about anything really.

I don't understand why you are so against the market, if you did not like it why visit it.
    It brings visitors to the city and the atmosphere around the market was nice.

It was organised by the same company responsible for the Volvo Ocean Race stopover and we all know what a success that was.
    I don't know how much money it generates for the city but the organisers are confident the event will generate a cash boost of at least €10m for the local economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

hondasam wrote: »
    I don't understand why you are so against the market, if you did not like it why visit it.
    It brings visitors to the city and the atmosphere around the market was nice.

It was organised by the same company responsible for the Volvo Ocean Race stopover and we all know what a success that was.
    I don't know how much money it generates for the city but the organisers are confident the event will generate a cash boost of at least €10m for the local economy.

that's pr spin. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikr

we really enjoyed the market.
    the Mary go Round and some prezzels...
    it's just a treat for an evening, not a place to do your christmas shopping imo

happy christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

that's pr spin. :p

Happy Christmas Fishy, relax and enjoy and stop being a miserable sod.:p
    We should be proud to live in a great county like Galway, I know I am.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Have to say I enjoyed the market this year, it was nice to be able to sit and have a beer and a bit of food from one of the stalls. Not the kind of place I'd be doing my christmas shopping in, but looking around at the tat most of the stalls were selling was entertaining at least. I loved the Corn Dogs and the lad selling them was lovely, he gave us a free one on the last night. The Pretzels and BBQ'd hot dogs were fairly tasty too.

Only thing I didn't enjoy was the fairly rubbish band playing in the beer tent, they were awful loud and super cheesy. There's loads of good bands around town that would have lent a far more chilled out atmosphere to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bikr wrote: »
    we really enjoyed the market.
    the Mary go Round
    and some prezzels...

Well if you had a "Mary" to go round then I'm sure you must have enjoyed yourselves. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Now thats JUST.....

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Heres a little video we made of the Galway Christmas Market hope you all enjoy it! Galway Christmas Market Video

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Grrrrreat vid, thanx. :)

The winners for me were the French family, with all the yummy pastries and biscuits. Watching the clip, it looks like you agree! :D

Advertisement