Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

6 Eur for less than a pint of crap lager, rip off Ireland is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

JustMary wrote: »
    Define "local"

For example, is Charcoal Grill (yes, they have a stall) local in your eyes? I don't see too many "Irish" people working in their stores ....

WTF!!

I asked a simple question!
    AFAIK lasts years market was run by an english company and thus all profits were spent elsewhere.

If everyone spent a little bit more in local shops it would help the economy and probably save a few more jobs.

and it seems that particular stall is not run by the proper charcoal grill. seems pretty opportunistic.

oh and btw i love the charcoal grill!!

please think a little before you try to play the race card!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Buglim wrote: »
    What the hell??? These people live and spend locally and if thats the way we want to think local, do we have to ask every Irish person what county they are from when we enter a business?????

Cop on lads - I'm foreign and *I* was being sarcastic about the whole concept of "local", which is pretty meaningless as soon as you start to ask any questions about what it means.

Ironically, when two settled Irish people meet for the first time, finding out what county they come is one of the first things they do. And while the county of your local newsagent owner may not influence where you buy your newspaper, I'm convinced it does affect some larger-scale business relationships in this country.

Shakti wrote: »
    Whinging and whining aside I think it is a responsibility of the council to ensure a reasonably priced market stall rent for stalls selling reasonably priced produce, this market is in a public space a space used by all of the public not just the affluent least they could do was show some ahem .....christmas spirit.

Shop St is also a public place. Do you think that price-control should be applied there, too so that everyone can afford to buy clothes there instead of Pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    one, well a bit less. they always overcharge for 'exotic' goods in this country. on the other hand the council is charging them enough rent.
    I don't know why they have the beer tent there in the first place. at the real christmas markets folks tend to drink mulled wine or turbo punch. it keeps out the cold more. five euro for a bit of hot spicy wine is a bit much.
    The Steins at last years market were litre steins, therefore you got just under two pints.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

What lager are they serving?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

But the litre ones were 10euro or something (plus deposit). The half litre were 6ish.

But the litre ones were 10euro or something (plus deposit). The half litre were 6ish.
    Knew 6 sounded wrng for a litre.

Interesting, you said you had never been to the beer tent but yet you know the beer is crap!!!!
    And no in fact its not crap its Erdinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Cop on lads - I'm foreign and *I* was being sarcastic about the whole concept of "local", which is pretty meaningless as soon as you start to ask any questions about what it means.

Ironically, when two settled Irish people meet for the first time, finding out what county they come is one of the first things they do. And while the county of your local newsagent owner may not influence where you buy your newspaper, I'm convinced it does affect some larger-scale business relationships in this country.

Being "foreign" does not give you the right to make the statement you did. The above statement does not really help your argument either. :confused:

• Advertisement

Am I the only one that considered the prices to be reasonably OK? The only place I thought was overly priced was the pick n mix stalls. I had no problem paying €7 for one of those rolls, especially considering the amount you got in them. God I hope that stall is still there!
    Buglim wrote: »

Being "foreign" does not give you the right to make the statement you did. The above statement does not really help your argument either. :confused:

I'm assuming that what JustMary said was done so tongue-in-cheek and probably shouldn't be taking as seriously as people seem to be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

skelliser wrote: »
    AFAIK lasts years market was run by an english company and thus all profits were spent elsewhere.
    This year's one is run by a Galway based company.

As long as various exotic animals are grilled for my pleasure and the quality German beer flows, I'm happy.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Interesting, you said you had never been to the beer tent but yet you know the beer is crap!!!!
    Is it Erdinger this year? Seens alot of Pauliner signs around the beer tent yesterday. Still, nice beer whichever it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Website for your perusal

http://www.galwaychristmasmarket.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Beers:
    Paulaner
    Oktoberfest
    Paulaner

Bottles:
    paulaner
    Erdinger Schneeweiss
    erdinger dunkel
    spaten
    weihenstaphan hefeweiss
    hofbrau
    leffe blonde

soft drinks a very reasonable €1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

dinneenp wrote: »
    Beers:
    Paulaner
    Oktoberfest
    Paulaner

Bottles:
    paulaner
    Erdinger Schneeweiss
    erdinger dunkel
    spaten
    weihenstaphan hefeweiss
    hofbrau
    leffe blonde

soft drinks a very reasonable €1.50

No steins for me then.

On the bright side I do like the Erdinger Dunkel, so nothing stopping a few beverages being consumed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

antoobrien wrote: »
    Website for your perusal

http://www.galwaychristmasmarket.ie/

There's no useful information there. No list of traders like last year, but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Anyone know what time they are turning the lights on at tonight?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Anyone know what time they are turning the lights on at tonight?
    Some kind of ceremony at 5:40.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yay for Dunkel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Daft closing it a week before Christmas. Should be running up until Christmas Eve.

Was there last year and thought it was great, although the snowy weather certainly added to the atmopshere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

it its erdinger it will be served in a glass not a stein. erdinger is a quality beer, but nothing special. the Bierhaus has it. at touristy places in germany they would charge four euro for one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

dinneenp wrote: »
    Beers:
    Paulaner
    Oktoberfest
    Paulaner

Bottles:
    paulaner
    Erdinger Schneeweiss
    erdinger dunkel
    spaten
    weihenstaphan hefeweiss
    hofbrau
    leffe blonde
    Are these 500ml bottles, and if so how much for a bottle?.

Just to add that I know Weihenstaphan and Paulaner can be bought around the town 5 for a tenner.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Just to add that I know Weihenstaphan and Paulaner can be bought around the town 5 for a tenner.

From an off license yes, but then any alcohol from an off license will be cheaper than that offered by a pub/bar...that's well known right :-p

Mactard wrote: »
    From an off license yes, but then any alcohol from an off license will be cheaper than that offered by a pub/bar...that's well known right :-p
    Beat me to it. Sure i can get Leffe, Westmalle or Chimay in an offie but im happy paying for it in The Salthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I bought a German sausage from a guy wearing traditional German clothes but he had a bland English accent and the sausage was equally bland but expensive.

I also bought waffles from a French guy and they were tasty and my kids loved them too. He even said 'merci' when I paid him. Poor value for money though.

Still hungry, we popped in to good old Irish Supermacs for chips AKA French Fries which were served by a lovely eastern European girl .

Ohhhh, the irony.

Are these 500ml bottles, and if so how much for a bottle?.

Buy your bottles and have them beside the 'Occupiers', you could claim you are protesting against the outrageous greed and profiteering shown in the Xmas Market. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Ah come on now, I'm only asking whats the price of a bottle in there.

Defending the price charged for a bottle in there, before I even know what's being charged. :rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of wheat beers.
    I expect their charging the same as any of the bars in town, right?.

Robbo wrote: »
    This year's one is run by a Galway based company.

Does anyone know the name of this Galway-based company?

From the Christmas-market-website, it looks like this Dublin-based company was selecting the traders.

• Advertisement

Ah come on now, I'm only asking whats the price of a bottle in there.

Defending the price charged for a bottle in there, before I even know what's being charged. :rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of wheat beers.
    I expect their charging the same as any of the bars in town, right?.

Ah come on now, who only asks what the price of beer is while using offie prices as a base?

I'm not going to defend prices - only pay what you're willing to pay - but have pointed out the ridiculous comparison of buying "5 for a tenner", cop on fella.

Advertisement