Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Got that pig on a spit there today. Its certainly not the same as last years one.

Last year:
    Big roll, loads of pork, with additional pork crackling, nice portion of stuffing and apple sauce, all served by a lovely German looking lady, and as efficient as ze germans. €8 I think

This year:
    A burger bundy filled with a nice amount of pork, no crackling, feck all apple sauce, but a grand fill of stuffing, all served by an Irish lady who had no idea how to take/give orders. It was more by chance that people got what they ordered. €6.50, and not value for money even taking into account that the market is generally more expensive than elsewhere. What I got shouldnt of been more than €4 to be honest.

Girlfriend got a crepe. It looked awesome! €5 and looked worth every penny. Ive never really had a crepe, but ill defo be getting one tomorrow!

Seen hotdogs/bratwurst for €3, which seems like you cant go wrong. I might try one of those tomorrow too.... and a stein.... if only they were showing the match, id never leave.

The market is much better spaced out now, plenty of room to actually stand aside and have a chat or drink your drink and watch it all go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

This foreign 'market' should be run out of town. Who the hell wants the Germans here anyway? They are doing enough dictating to you how to run our country. Now they can take their 'bratwurst' and stick it where the sun doesn't shine... Germany.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Galway wrote: »
    This foreign 'market' should be run out of town. Who the hell wants the Germans here anyway? They are doing enough dictating to you how to run our country. Now they can take their 'bratwurst' and stick it where the sun doesn't shine... Galway.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Unfortunately that's maybe why it's here!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd say there are a few people working for certain multi-nationals (including me!) who are very grateful for the fact that Germany has propped up the Irish economy, and so made it viable for said multi-nationals to continue to do business here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Mactard wrote: »
    Ah come on now, who only asks what the price of beer is while using offie prices as a base?

I'm not going to defend prices - only pay what you're willing to pay - but have pointed out the ridiculous comparison of buying "5 for a tenner", cop on fella.

I'm not only asking the price of beer in comparison to an offie.

I asked a second time the price of a bottle, stating I expect that it is similar to what is being charged in town.
    Why don't you cop on and stop making assumptions.

Believe me, I dont need the condescending response.
    If you dont know the price, fair enough and just leave it at that thank you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Believe me, I dont need the condescending response.
    If you dont know the price, fair enough and just leave it at that thank you.

Yes, I didn't appreciate your condescending reply to my initial post (the post with the :rolleyes:)....gosh how I hate those :rolleyes:

Enjoy the xmas market

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

Has anyone seen the chorizo stand there this year? The garlic and chilly ones last year were delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

This foreign 'market' should be run out of town. Who the hell wants the Germans here anyway? They are doing enough dictating to you how to run our country. Now they can take their 'bratwurst' and stick it where the sun doesn't shine... Germany.
    Everyone attending the market does. Take your issues to the OG thread if you want to have a whinge. This is about the market.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of this Galway-based company?

From the Christmas-market-website, it looks like this Dublin-based company was selecting the traders.
    The overall running is done by Maria Moynihan-Lee, from Galway, and her company. I'm not sure how things are divided with VSC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

From an off license yes, but then any alcohol from an off license will be cheaper than that offered by a pub/bar...that's well known right :-p

German beers are usually priced between 1.80 and 2,50 from the offi?
    A German supermarket will sell them for around 80 cents. a pub in Galway selling a German beer for a fiver or six euro is making a profit. in the days of the celtic tiger when people threw money around, The G used to sell erdinger for a mere eight euro.

of course charging a bit more keeps away the undesirable element of Galway.

DannyKing wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the chorizo stand there this year? The garlic and chilly ones last year were delicious.

is it not something you could throw together yourself?

I'd say there are a few people working for certain multi-nationals (including me!) who are very grateful for the fact that Germany has propped up the Irish economy, and so made it viable for said multi-nationals to continue to do business here.

correct me if I am wrong, but the German Christmas market in Galway has nothing to do with Germany. the company running it is not German, there are very few German stalls and a beer tent would be found at the oktoberfest, not a christmas market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

@everyone: do
    Yourselves a favour and don't waste time replying to this stupid comment.

Ah, I love the Galway left, who sponge off the very system they despise.

yeah, they should take their christmas tree and whatever other customs they have forced upon us with them.

they should take lidl and aldi with them as well. galway does not need jobs or cheap quality food.

how dare they expect us to pay loans to The EU when we have sponging off them for decades.

anyway its an international German christmas market, designed for people who have no real idea what a German christmas market is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

They'd hardly put up prices by 1/3 ? They were so expensive last year they alienated a large number of people from eating in there.

and they care about those not spending why? sure there's plenty more fools with their money out to make up for it ahahahaha

From an off license yes, but then any alcohol from an off license will be cheaper than that offered by a pub/bar...that's well known right :-p
    Beat me to it. Sure i can get Leffe, Westmalle or Chimay in an offie but im happy paying for it in The Salthouse.

some people love to spend money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

eire.man wrote: »

and some people don't.

How's the protest going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Ah come on now, who only asks what the price of beer is while using offie prices as a base?

I'm fairly certain Last year the market in Eyre Square was actually more expensive for beer in comparison to the market near the IFSC in Dublin which is pretty shocking considering the difference in the average price of a pub pint between the two cities.

yes for their benefit and most certainly not yours, as soon as they feel like it they'll make statement about Ireland like they did Greece, "saving the euro is bigger than saving a country!!"

ah ze germanians eh, a great bunch of lads!!

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »

and some people don't.

How's the protest going?

want to stay on topic??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

If the occupy protest get the IMF out how will we pay for public services?

this is the third time iv asked this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is about the market only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

sugar! wrong thread!

lol!

took a look around the market today and to be honest I wasnt overly impressed with the selection on offer.

I was mainly looking at the food offerings and the price of things (didnt even bother looking at the price last year, just goes to show how my perception of value has changed).

First one I came to was the "Real Italian Coffee". I adore coffee so this was definetly for me. That is until I saw it was just plain old lavazza and 2.50 for a cup, nothing special, so no thanks.

The other one of note, the sizzles or twistys or something (potato twisty things). Thought it looked interesting, asked the guy how much and got told 4 eur. I actually burst out laughing in his face. I didnt mean it as an insult, it was more shock than anything else. 4 eur for a single potato on a stick :eek:

There were a few more like this were the price didn't match the value from my view so I ended up leaving 20 mins after I arrived after spending nothing. That didnt happen last year.

how can the christmas market go ahead if the new age travellers are encamped in the square. presumably they have been moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Like DaCor i had a wander around today and was disappointed, not as much of a selection as last year and there seem to be a distinct lack of different, tasty food stalls :(

Walked through then went uptown for a coffee :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Had a walk through the market today.
    Even worse atmosphere than last year...... and that's some achievement.
    Overpriced is not the word as well.
    Dacor mentioned it earlier "4 eur for a single potato on a stick", you'd buy 10kg of local potatoes for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Went for a look (and a hog roll) earlier. Massive disappointment. Complete schite compared to last year. And the hog roll man isn't there this year :( No atmosphere and covered in muck. Maybe it looks better at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya we make it from working, you should try it sometime instead of sitting in your tent isolated from the real world.
    Now back on topic, walked through this morning and i reckon its laid out better than last year but distinctly lacking in variety when it comes to food stalls.

Advertisement