Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Had a stroll around there this afternoon. Disappointed that the hog roast stall wasn't there. Much less emphasis on food in general this year, which was really the only selling point it had for me. Was going to try the mulled wine but at €5 it would want to be pretty damn good..

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

I was there last night and saw the hog roast tent (it wasn't open but in fairness this was at about 9.45pm).
    There's also another stall with hot drinks (mulled wine, hot buttered rum, hot port etc) for €4.50. Slightly better value than the stall selling mulled wine for €5 - and the drinks we tried were gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Inky_Lady wrote: »
    I was there last night and saw the hog roast tent (it wasn't open but in fairness this was at about 9.45pm).

Where? :confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Where? :confused::eek:
    I saw it too last night, also closed. The last "row" of tents, in line with the Beer tent entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

Yep, beside the beer tent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Inky_Lady wrote: »
    Yep, beside the beer tent.
    Its not the same one as last year though, its the one menioned a page or two back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Had a stroll around there this afternoon. Disappointed that the hog roast stall wasn't there. Much less emphasis on food in general this year, which was really the only selling point it had for me. Was going to try the mulled wine but at €5 it would want to be pretty damn good..
    The roast pork stall is back alright, I damn near ate half a pig. Oh stomach why are you not bigger? Is it worth being trim when the delights of succulent pig wraps beckon like sirens towards the reefs of distending bulge?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fuinseog wrote: »
    how can the christmas market go ahead if the new age travellers are encamped in the square. presumably they have been moved on.

Ahh, no.

They've moved over to the other side near Richardsons - the bicycle rack that was there has been removed to make space for them. Looking more settled than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Me again!

JustMary wrote: »
    how can the christmas market go ahead if the new age travellers are encamped in the square. presumably they have been moved on.

Ahh, no.

They've moved over to the other side near Richardsons - the bicycle rack that was there has been removed to make space for them. Looking more settled than ever.

Was in there yesterday, very disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Can you still get ostrich burgers etc?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In case anyone is going today, there'll be a christmas-festooned coca-cola truck around till 6pm and there is a choir at some point (maybe lunchtime) going to sing carols.
    40467.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    The roast pork stall is back alright, I damn near ate half a pig. Oh stomach why are you not bigger? Is it worth being trim when the delights of succulent pig wraps beckon like sirens towards the reefs of distending bulge?

Ah! Nothing brings out the poet in a man more than a stomach full of good food.

Beautifully said:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Can you still get ostrich burgers etc?

Yeah you can, 5 euro for one. You can't buy frozen ones like last year though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

goat2 wrote: »
    thanks for the heads up, there were three of us going in the morning to galway for the markets, not it is a no go

You can't be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    In case anyone is going today, there'll be a christmas-festooned coca-cola truck around till 6pm and there is a choir at some point (maybe lunchtime) going to sing carols.
    40467.jpg

When did "Oh Happy Day" become a Christmas carol? (that's what a group of 6-ish people were singing 15 minutes ago).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When did "Oh Happy Day" become a Christmas carol? (that's what a group of 6-ish people were singing 15 minutes ago).

Since the choir got high on free coke..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Not quite to my taste but it could be construed as a christmas song/hymn.

If you're that way inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was up there today for a hot dog from Charcoal €5, a hot chocolate €3 and a pretzel €3.50.
    Whenever I'm going to a Christmas market anywhere I always it to be more magical that it actually is. But for what it actually is, many food stalls, crowds and slightly overpriced stuff, it's fine.

136c4_thumb.jpg

58ac3_thumb.jpg

9451b_thumb.jpg

I was well chuffed that they played one of my favourite songs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Had a wander around it yesterday. There is two mulled wine stands, walk passed the first 1 charging €5 and you reach one with a big selection of drinks and cheaper at €4.50.

I got a coffee in the big purple coffee cylinder. One of the items on the menu caught my attention. They had one of their espressos costing €5. I asked about it. Apparantly it is one of the rarest coffees in the world. I might give it a try when I go back!

It looked for a minute like one of my favourites from last year was gone. But the coconut macaroons are still there as part of a bigger pastry stand. I have a feeling ill be spending a few quid there!

There is much more room in the pathways this year which is a great thing. Less food stalls though which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Does anyone know what time it finishes today Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Does anyone know what time it finishes today Sunday?
    8pm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Wandered around today, twas grand, if you're there with friends it's nice - even if just for a gawk...didn't spend any money, I had eaten a filling lunch just prior, and it was a bit jammers forme to go queuing up to really investigate the non food stalls.

I'll head back another time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

biko wrote: »
    Was up there today for a hot dog from Charcoal €5, a hot chocolate €3 and a pretzel €3.50.
    Whenever I'm going to a Christmas market anywhere I always it to be more magical that it actually is. But for what it actually is, many food stalls, crowds and slightly overpriced stuff, it's fine.

136c4_thumb.jpg

58ac3_thumb.jpg

9451b_thumb.jpg

I was well chuffed that they played one of my favourite songs

there is a guy at the saturday market who sells 6 bretzels for 4.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

zero19 wrote: »
    Yeah you can, 5 euro for one. You can't buy frozen ones like last year though. :(

I couldn't find the stall today.

Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

I went down today. Was very impressed. Its no Edinburgh Christmas market but its very good. Hog Roast Roll + A Stein of weissbier = Happy man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Ah, I love the Galway left, who sponge off the very system they despise.

yeah, they should take their christmas tree and whatever other customs they have forced upon us with them.

they should take lidl and aldi with them as well. galway does not need jobs or cheap quality food.

how dare they expect us to pay loans to The EU when we have sponging off them for decades.

anyway its an international German christmas market, designed for people who have no real idea what a German christmas market is.

YEAH, let's boycott Norway too or wherever the Christmas trees came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I couldn't find the stall today.

Where is it?

If you stand where it was last year, head along the path as though you were making for the entrance to the Eyre Square Shopping Centre and it will be on your right about half way long - the second last on the right before the market bends back on itself, if I recall correctly, beside the Irish sausages stand.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

there is a guy at the saturday market who sells 6 bretzels for 4.50

I think your getting Bagels and Pretzels mixed up, unless the Bagel guy at the market has some sort of mad experimental half bagel half pretzel thing going on.

Anyways, bagel guy sells 6 bagels for 4.50, a pretzel is a euro or 1.50.

To clarify about the pretzels in the christmas market, only some are 3.50, I got on with chocolate and nuts on it for 3.50, it sucked. A very chewy pretzel tbh. They did have other types for cheaper, I think a regular salted on was 2 euro.

Theres one stand selling microwavable slippers and bean bag things, the slippers were €20, a bit rich imo, but we seen the same ones (diff colour) in TK maxx this afternoon for €12. A bit of a con to be doing that.

In better news, had another crepe, STILL AWESOME! They've got some queue lining up for them we joined with about 6-8 ahead of us, and about another 10 joined after us as we got our order in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Had a quick walk through there the other day and was disappointed not to find the only stall I looked for last year: a fresh donut stall. I don't want a preztel or belgian waffle ffs, I want a donut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It looks much nicer this year. The little white tents are pretty and there are more wooden huts than last year. Had me a Springbok burger on Saturday and it was delicious. €5 not bad for something that tasty IMO.

Also, there is a Helter Skelter at the top of the Square. I wonder would I be let on?

Advertisement