Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Now I might be wrong as couldnt be bothered to find the thread from last year, but the gist I am getting is last year there were loads of complaints that there were too many food stalls and this year there are too few??

All outdoor events like this are priced higher than you find in pubs/cafes etc and if you go to it expecting anything else is a bit naive. Was at the Edinburgh one a couple of years ago and prices were in and around the same.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I think theres a grand amount of food stalls.
    Burger stall
    Crepe stall (2 i think)
    Corn dog stall
    Pork rolls/baps stall
    Pretzel and waffel stall (I think theres a 2nd waffel stall too)
    Sweets stall

Only think I wouldnt mind being there was the mini pizza place that was there last year, but ive no idea was it any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I like the stalls there and the amount of produce on offer, but overall it's a little expensive. I know its a novelty and they're paying well to be there, but everything could probably be a euro cheaper at least. The beer is reasonable enough, and my girlfriend got a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows for €2.50 (albeit small, but enough), but the burgers etc should be €4 max.

That said I do hope its another resounding success...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Only think I wouldnt mind being there was the mini pizza place that was there last year, but ive no idea was it any good.

Yes. Yes it was. Sorry to hear its not there now, I hadn't noticed it gone.

Proxy wrote: »
    Yes. Yes it was. Sorry to hear its not there now, I hadn't noticed it gone.
    Well, I hadnt noticed it was there this year, so unless its just hiding from me..... I had a few days off work so I was down in Galway for near a week, spent alot of time wandering around town and into the market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Is it just me or is the market smaller this year? I noticed that some of the space is empty - unless some traders are yet to come? Some of the space looked like it was set aside for something.

I also didn't see the Dutch vendors with oliebollen, poffertjes, stroopwafels (as I'm Dutch I miss that stuff because I never get those here :) ). Unless I overlooked them.

Nevertheless it's still nice for a quick stroll around, and a bite to eat here and there. The atmosphere is as good as last year's.

Is it just me or is the market smaller this year? I noticed that some of the space is empty - unless some traders are yet to come? Some of the space looked like it was set aside for something.
    The space is there to accomodate people. Last years market was very very crowded, and at times impossible to walk through, which probably turned people off attempting to look at the stalls. This year is designed to be alot more open so traffic can flow a bit better. IMO, its working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

They need to reduce the prices of stuff. Its a bit extortionate. Thats the one thing they havent changed since last year. Its set up way better this year with a better balance of things but food is still too pricey.

I'd like to say i'd wander down there everyday for my lunch and pick up something different, but its too pricey for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I also didn't see the Dutch vendors with oliebollen, poffertjes, stroopwafels (as I'm Dutch I miss that stuff because I never get those here :) ). Unless I overlooked them.

This. (My friend sent me "pepernoten" etc. this week. *bounce*)

I am not really feeling it this year. I get the feeling there is less there. Apart from the Finnish stall, I didn't see any of the ones that caught my eye last year. Is the stall at the top with the sausages and mulled wine and so on there? I didn't see it. :(
    More Irish stalls, less continental ones from what I could see (now, I only went around once on sunday and it was busy), which I suppose is good for local traders, but it does lead to much of what we already have (I could do without Sweetie Pies being there for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Aw there's no poffertjes? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

cooperguy wrote: »

I got a coffee in the big purple coffee cylinder. One of the items on the menu caught my attention. They had one of their espressos costing €5. I asked about it. Apparantly it is one of the rarest coffees in the world. I might give it a try when I go back!

It looked for a minute like one of my favourites from last year was gone. But the coconut macaroons are still there as part of a bigger pastry stand. I have a feeling ill be spending a few quid there!

Kona coffee from Hawaii is a speciality one and often expensive, but there is also a super pricey kind made from beans picked from animal poo!
    Some animal (a civet maybe) eats the bean pod and the bean itself gets fermented some how before being pooped out. The resulting bean is a delicacy and costs a bomb. Wonder if it's the poo bean espresso for a fiver? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What else did he have yesterday?
    I had some springbok,venison,wild boar and kangaroo from there yesterday and feel fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I got in for a walk around on Sunday. I must say I liked it, seemed a bit "fuller" and more permanent that last year, good plastic covering over the grassy areas that got muddy last year. Enjoyed a hog wrap (€6). Look forward to calling through a few times over the coming weeks.

I noticed Permanent TSB's ATM in Eyre Square are expecting some big spenders in town; :p

atm_resize.jpg

That's been the default values for a while now actually - very odd, still living in the boom times!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Nevertheless it's still nice for a quick stroll around, and a bite to eat here and there. The atmosphere is as good as last year's.

I think there's a lady selling poffertjes in the market in Moycullen on Fridays

foto joe wrote: »
    I got in for a walk around on Sunday. I must say I liked it, seemed a bit "fuller" and more permanent that last year, good plastic covering over the grassy areas that got muddy last year. Enjoyed a hog wrap (€6). Look forward to calling through a few times over the coming weeks.

I noticed Permanent TSB's ATM in Eyre Square are expecting some big spenders in town; :p

atm_resize.jpg

That's been the default values for a while now actually - very odd, still living in the boom times!

Huzzah! Finally an ATM that will let me withdraw my millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That hog roll sounds delicious, must try one Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Went to the market with my lady yesterday and must say I was impressed. It's a big improvement over last year. The aisles are larger, the stalls that are there aren't price gouging, and the carousel and slide for the kiddies is a good addition.

Must return and try a corn dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Went there with some friends to sample the kangaroo burgers and beer tent.
    It was class, highly approve of this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I would have more opportunity to go there if it wasn't bastard raining sideways and absolutely freezing.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I would have more opportunity to go there if it wasn't bastard raining sideways and absolutely freezing.

:(

Yip, went today and it would've been lovely if my hands were frozen off me from holding a wet umbrella :( Must go again when it's dry and I can enjoy myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

Seen the corn dog stand and always wanted to try one.. they were really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Enjoyed atmosphere in market and beer tent on Sat. And especially enjoyed an amazing warm macaroon - yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

Is it all just food and drink being sold? any crafts?
    would really appreciate a quick listing of whats on offer if anyone could oblige as not sure if i want to drive up from ennis if it's only food & drink, the "official" website gives no information at all.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

woggie wrote: »
    would really appreciate a quick listing of whats on offer if anyone could oblige as not sure if i want to drive up from ennis if it's only food & drink, the "official" website gives no information at all.
    thanks

you'll be hard pressed spend 20 mins walking around i reckon but by all means come up and see for yourself, from what I seen it was mainly food, drink, sweets and bakery

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Off-topic removed not to entice more bickering.
    This thread is for food, beer, overpriced knick·knack and other Christmas market stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

woggie wrote: »
    thanks
    There are some stalls with hats, gloves, scarves, and general warm continental looking clothing and blankets. Theres a stall from a convent in Belarus(i think) with little figures and ornament type things. To be honest the only reason i would go is for the food and drink, the rest is overpriced really.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Tried an infamous Hog Roll in there tonight.. Very dissapointing. Cold cheap burger bap & very dry and tasteless. :(

MissMoppet wrote: »
    Tried an infamous Hog Roll in there tonight.. Very dissapointing. Cold cheap burger bap & very dry and tasteless. :(

Warned ye. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Warned ye. :(

I knows... Still wanted to chance my arm.. Also I tried the buttered rum.. Not the best either:(

• Advertisement

MissMoppet wrote: »
    I knows... Still wanted to chance my arm.. Also I tried the buttered rum.. Not the best either:(

Its all about the crepes in the stall near the skeff. Man id love one now, pity I wont be back in Galway before the market leaves. :(

Advertisement