Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Got a few frozen burgers there today - 3e for two burgers.
    The burgers all taste the same when bought from the stand, as they're all cooked on the same grill etc. so hopefully one will be able to tell the difference when cooking them at home. No fillets of meat this year, unfortunately - just the burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Corn dogs rock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

K.C wrote: »
    Corn dogs rock

Whats in a corn dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

A stick I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Whats in a corn dog?
    hot dog sausage(they use 2 at this market), covered in corn bread and deep fried. served on a stick

i highly recommend trying one. they are amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

EyeSight wrote: »
    hot dog sausage(they use 2 at this market), covered in corn bread and deep fried. served on a stick

Heart Attack food is Oh so Good! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

First I heard you couldn't buy the exotic burgers to take home and cook this year. Then I saw here that somebody bought them, yay! Went down today to buy some...to be told you can only buy them uncooked on Saturdays, that's a bit shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Sorry.. I didn't know it was just a Saturday thing.
    If it's any consolation, the burgers were yummy.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Sorry.. I didn't know it was just a Saturday thing.
    If it's any consolation, the burgers were yummy.

It's weird that it's just a Saturday thing, couldn't even really give us a reason for why either. That doesn't console me btw :)

Finally had a proper look around today.
    Definately better laid out than last year and some of the stuff seems less expensive. Very quiet though.
    But:
    Is there no cheese stall this year?
    And
    Which crepe stall would ye recommend?

ps: 4euro for a twirly potato on a stick looks like a total rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Which crepe stall would ye recommend?

The one near the skeff. Theres a corn dog stand, beside it, and an only VW camper that sells whiskeys (and other drinks).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Very quiet is right, i dont think many of the stall holders will be back next year. But maybe just maybe if the food vendors dropped there prices more people would buy off them, Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Very quiet is right, i dont think many of the stall holders will be back next year. But maybe just maybe if the food vendors dropped there prices more people would buy off them, Just a thought.

so, em, jonjo the miser.

ahem. nuff said.

:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

FWIW you can get a 3 euro potato on a stick in another stall, the one that does potato pancakes, which are AMAZING, massive portion of pancake, sauerkraut and sour cream, a must for any fans of eastern european food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Axenti

i had some potatoes, they actually savage

FWIW you can get a 3 euro potato on a stick in another stall, the one that does potato pancakes, which are AMAZING, massive portion of pancake, sauerkraut and sour cream, a must for any fans of eastern european food.

Yeah, I only discovered that after I had purchased one for €4. His freshly made chips are quite awesome too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I got a bargain at one of the gift stalls. I feel cheated as so people complain about being ripped off.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I got a bargain at one of the gift stalls. I feel cheated as so people complain about being ripped off.

Last year I got some great gifts there, from €5 to €15, didn't think it was too badly priced at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I'm after one of those knitted hoodies, I think I saw them for sale in the market last time round.

Has anybody seen them in there this year?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I was there on friday 2nd and it was lovely, I did not go to it last year so cannot compare it. I am going to have a look again tomorrow, food sounds great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

FWIW this sounded good to me and I was there with the family yesterday so I tried it. I love sauerkraut but there was so much of it! Even pushing most aside I think it may have been better with just the pancake and sour cream. I gotta go back and get a bbq dog and a portion of that sauerkraut with mustard. yum!

The corn dogs were awesome. I wish that guy would setup year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a corndog lastnight, very nice. Herself had a Venison burger form the 'exotic Meats' stall but twas full of grizzle, put me off wanting to get anything from them in future. Funny watching the amount of absolutely trolleyed people then falling(literally) out of the beer tent while i supped on my Dunkel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We were gonna go in for a "pint" about 9 on Friday evening, but there was a queue ... blowed if I'm queueing to drink in a tent!

Where abouts is that stall? I cant seem to find it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Where abouts is that stall? I cant seem to find it.

I think it's just at the entrance on the Skeff side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I think it's just at the entrance on the Skeff side.
    Sounds like its Ripps Gourmet German food stall?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sounds like its Ripps Gourmet German food stall?

No it's a bit further up from there... There's another entrance further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Had a corndog and one of the pig on a spit baps. Feckin lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Tried the Venison, kangaroo, wild boar and ostrich burgers on different days from the exotic anima bbq and all were lovely. Reccomend them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Buddly

I love the idea of the Christmas market and I really want it to be a success but if people are expected to pay a bit extra there has to be a decent standard. I would consider one or 2 euro extra for something different like a kangaroo burger/hot rum/hog roll/etc good value, given that the market has a nice atmosphere and provides good entertainment for a nice stroll.

If what's being offered is sub par then they're only fooling themselves. Judging by the posts here the market is getting a name for poor quality and excessive pricing, which will only stop people from coming in the future. If that happens then the viability of the market is at risk. That would be a terrible shame.

Advertisement