Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Fairly similar to last year to be honest.....a few extra food stalls there this time....don't bother with the pretzels.....sugary bread about sums it up....suicre on Brennan's white batch loaf would taste similar...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

For all my complaints about the snow last year, it was nicer walking around the market than in the rain this year.

Bit disappointed that its closing on the 18th, haven't really had a chance to have a good look around this year and won't be in Galway again until Christmas Eve. Suppose they need their holidays too!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

BESman wrote: »
    For all my complaints about the snow last year, it was nicer walking around the market than in the rain this year.

Bit disappointed that its closing on the 18th, haven't really had a chance to have a good look around this year and won't be in Galway again until Christmas Eve. Suppose they need their holidays too!

The regular weekend market opens up every day in mid december up to christmas. Not 100% on the details but it really has a lovely atmosphere there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Was there any discussion about locating the Market down by the docks?
    Would fit more stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

insurance would cost a bomb if they were to relocate to the docks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Had a corn dog yesterday. Mother of christ, dems goooood! Guy is from Minnesota, living here 8 years and couldn't believe that he is (as far as he knows) the only guy who does them in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

dinneenp wrote: »
    Would fit more stalls.

I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I hope not.

One of our regular serial objectors had a letter in one of the papers a few weeks back ranting on about why the market should be in the Docks area.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I hope not.

Why would people object to having it down the Docks. Distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

when is it over?? i need to try more food :D

• Advertisement

Had a corn dog yesterday. Mother of christ, dems goooood! Guy is from Minnesota, living here 8 years and couldn't believe that he is (as far as he knows) the only guy who does them in the West.

They pretty much are sex on a stick, aren't they? Surprised nobody has tried them before and I hope this means he might try and have a regular stall at the weekend market, if he doesn't have one already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Tried the corn dogs as well. Not a huge fan but that's probably because I ain't a sausage lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

when is it over?? i need to try more food :D

I believe on Sunday. Looks like some stalls closed early tonight, too. Winds, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

JustMary wrote: »
    I believe on Sunday. Looks like some stalls closed early tonight, too. Winds, I guess.

Yeah it says on the fb page that it's closed tonight because of high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

dinneenp wrote: »
    Would fit more stalls.
    Yes the council did want it moved but the footfall would be down too much and it is private land.If they just left the same organisers in charge as last year it would have made alot more sense instead of trying to rip them off with excessive demands and charges.Think of how good a job they done last year with only 2 weeks to organise after Mayor Crowes/Gardai attempt to stop it.The market this year is not in the same league as last year,alot less stands and sub standard food.If this is the same organiser as the volvo ocean race village, (as I am led to believe) we need someone else quick,or ot will be a disaster.

Had a potato pancake yesterday after reading about it here. Good God, it was rotten. So much oil used to cook it, how are you supposed to eat them, given flat on a plate with a lump of sour cream and no fork or anything? Bleh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just back from getting a potato pancake... delicious! Got him to put garlic on it too. Will be back for one of those again soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Brought my 2 lads down there for a look around yesterday, thumbs up for the Corn dogs!, American lad selling them was really friendly.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Had the potato pancake earlier. HEAVEN!!
    If I I had found the stall earlier I would be eating from there every day.
    He is going to try and get a space in the real market but I guess he will have a bit of a wait.

Anyone try the top thing on his menu? The big crisp thing with the toppings. Cant remember what its called but apparently its big in Hungary.

Hope the weather stays dry for the next couple of days. I need to get a feta+salad crepe from the other stall as well before it finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

First time down this year to the market and really enjoyed it.
    Another thumbs up here for the corn dogs, i might head down later today and try one of them pancakes after a few refreshments.

• Advertisement

Can ye genuinely tell me how to eat the potato pancake, given to you flat on a plate with a blob of sour cream?

I folded mine over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Acoshla wrote: »
    Can ye genuinely tell me how to eat the potato pancake, given to you flat on a plate with a blob of sour cream?

(*)Use yer fingers to tear a bit off.
    Dip it in the sour cream.
    Put in mouth.
    Chew.
    Swallow.

Rinse and repeat from (*) until only sour cream remains.

JustMary wrote: »
    (*)Use yer fingers to tear a bit off.
    Dip it in the sour cream.
    Put in mouth.
    Chew.
    Swallow.

Rinse and repeat from (*) until only sour cream remains.

Ok, I found that greasy, gross and awkward when I was trying to do it whilst standing as all the seats were wet, didn't think it could possibly be the right way to do it because it was so yuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

has that place closed down yet - what a pointless exercise. The authentic Galway market is miles ahead of it. All that christmas one seems to be good for is dipping muck covered in batter into filthy oil and handing it out, and raking in the doubh (pardon the pun).

Walked passed the place once, that was it for me. Tack.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

has that place closed down yet - what a pointless exercise. The authentic Galway market is miles ahead of it. All that christmas one seems to be good for is dipping muck covered in batter into filthy oil and handing it out, and raking in the doubh (pardon the pun).

Im sure they are not missing you either. You must have tried lots of the food i assume as you have such an in depth knowledge of their 'filthy oil' and 'muck'. As someone once said if you have nothing good to say then dont say anything at all.

Maybe you should have walked through it instead of past it.
    Then you would be entitled to give your opinion of what was in it.

nah, didn't see anything that wasn't tack, or heart attack "food", wasn't worth the walk through. But hey if thats were ye want to spend your hard earned cash then who am I to stop ye :D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Im sure they are not missing you either. You must have tried lots of the food i assume as you have such an in depth knowledge of their 'filthy oil' and 'muck'. As someone once said if you have nothing good to say then dont say anything at all.

I like your polite way of saying "STFU" :D

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    I like your polite way of saying "STFU" :D

:D he;s just mad, cause the truth hurts....

Advertisement