Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

:D he;s just mad, cause the truth hurts....
    Yes im very offended as its my market, i own and run it all i tell you. Its just your negativity and typical Irish doom is painful, especially as you haven't even tried anything down there. As for comparing food in both markets, then id say they offer a lot of similar stuff, hot dog type things, crepes, baked goods. Basically your opinion is invalid, but thanks for trying. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

some photos:

galwaymarket5.jpg

galwaymarket1.jpg

galwaymarket4.jpg

galwaymarket2.jpg

6459461461_bcd2c82e11_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Acoshla wrote: »
    Ok, I found that greasy, gross and awkward when I was trying to do it whilst standing as all the seats were wet, didn't think it could possibly be the right way to do it because it was so yuk.

What do you do when you get fish and chips or Supermacs - ask for a knife and fork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Kandee Tomato ketchup and brown sauce, top quality condiments eh!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

thanks for the photo's. just as I thought, pure tack, high prices, and condiments you would see at any football match. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

those pictures are brilliant, i guess it was a huge market

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

The authentic Galway market is miles ahead of it.

It's boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

schween wrote: »
    The authentic Galway market is miles ahead of it.

It's boring.

Disagree - it has tons of character, and characters!

Food wise, it would be more my cup of tea. It has a mix of 'fun' food and healthier stuff too, so more options for different folks IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

JustMary wrote: »
    What do you do when you get fish and chips or Supermacs - ask for a knife and fork?

I got fish and chips in supermacs yesterday and lo and behold... I was given a knife and fork! It's almost as if supermacs acknowldge some sort social convention to provide utencils with food. Who'd have thought.

Have to say corn dogs in xmas market were lovely, not greasy like the potatoes, just crisp and delicious. But overall I felt this years market wasn't as good as last years, too much food, too little gift-worthy items.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

thanks for the photo's. just as I thought, pure tack, high prices, and condiments you would see at any football match. :p

I've been to Galway Utd and it's been chips and pizza slices on offer. The food at the Market is very nice imo. Bratwurst is brought in from Germany, a fair Amount of food choices in general.

My wife was there last night, said it was very quiet. One comment I've herd a fre people say is there's nowhee to atand and eat in a covered space besides the beer tent. I understand space is a premium.

In all ateast it adds something to Galway.
    I don't care much for the normal market; it's simple way to marrow and packed. Try walking there with a buggy and browsing! Not to nang on about it but the space by The docks would be class. New stalls could get in, have some variety and space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There are no prices in the photos??? You obviously get some form of Royal ketchup so at the Saturday market, must go over there today to experience this life changing condiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

There are no prices in the photos??? You obviously get some form of Royal ketchup so at the Saturday market, must go over there today to experience this life changing condiment.

I'm not slating the xmas market, but in fainess Kandee tomato ketchup could make the best food in the world taste bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

personally I prefer Chef ketchup it has a bit of bite in it

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Great pics dinnenp :)

I can't help it - is it just me though, or does the one of the back of Santa have slightly lewd undertones? The positioning of the hands, the roll of tissue, the subliminal sauces in the foreground?
    Just me? Thought so!:p

(I've ruined me chances for any presents now, I know!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Think I'll try a potato pancake and a wrap for a pre Christmas party session!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

Anyone know when the market finishes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Tomorrow is the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Very quiet market this year, will be surprised if many vendor made back the pitch fee (a friend of mine was quoted 6000-7000 EUR). They also said last year 600,000 people went through it. Not likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Amik wrote: »
    Very quiet market this year, will be surprised if many vendor made back the pitch fee (a friend of mine was quoted 6000-7000 EUR). They also said last year 600,000 people went through it. Not likely.

I'd be fairly confident that the popular food stalls will considering their high markup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

JustMary wrote: »

Supermacs always give me these magical plastic forks that I can take away, they must only be for me so if the concept of cutlery for fried food is so foreign to you. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Most of the small stalls were 200euro a day. I cant see places like the guy selling slippers making that.
    Im sure the hot food stalls and the bar are well in profit though.

They are already claiming this year that 300,000 people have flowed through it. WHATever...

http://www.maeveberrypr.ie/index.php/2011/12/13/market-draws-to-a-close-this-weekend-with-christmas-lantern-parade/

I guess they are counting the people who are walking from the station to the top of the square and people crossing from the Skeff side to the bus stops in their figures as well.
    Good way to bump up the results.

@thesandeman You're right, I think the popular food stall will have made a good profit (67+ corn dogs a day seems realistic), but the slipper guy came to mind to when I thought about those who could lose dearly. I'm assuming the nun with the decorations gets a hefty pitch fee discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ate a kangaroo burger earlier, not too bad, tasty enough.
    Although I drowned mine in sweet chili so maybe my taste buds were somewhat skewed! Five bucks though, wouldn't want to be too hungry round that stall.
    And ate a cheese pretzel too, noice!:)

Had the other thing from the potato stall today. Forget what its called again but its like a pizza with a spud base. Well worth 3.50
    Really hope they can get stand at the real market at some stage.

Never got around to the crepe stall :-(

From what Ive seen the last couple of days the market could be a real winner. Unfortunately I think the bad weather at the start might have messed things up for a lot of the vendors.

aaaaaand thats a wrap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

schween wrote: »
    It's boring.

why, cause it doesn't have a carousel? one word...."specsavers" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Question in relation to the amount of people claimed to have visited the market, how can they confirm how many people went to it, there are no entrance fees, no gates to go through I could have went in and out on any side so it does not make sense when they saw 300,000 people were there. they are just figures plucked from the sky to make it look good.

Dont get me wrong I am not knocking the market I would just like to know how they can justify their attendance figures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Question in relation to the amount of people claimed to have visited the market, how can they confirm how many people went to it, there are no entrance fees, no gates to go through I could have went in and out on any side so it does not make sense when they saw 300,000 people were there. they are just figures plucked from the sky to make it look good.

Dont get me wrong I am not knocking the market I would just like to know how they can justify their attendance figures.
    According to something they posted on the Advertiser's Facebook, 3 times a day they had people at the entrances with clickers, results were extrapolated from this. All terribly scientific.

Advertisement