Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

All those people who walk through the Square every day to get from Forster Street to Williamsgate Street would be counted?

Has Kennedy Park been liberated from this commercial venture yet? Can the grass breathe again and photosynthesise in relative peace..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

why, cause it doesn't have a carousel? one word...."specsavers" :D

But there was a carousel there....

To me I wouldn't say they were boring but there wasn't much/anything there that'd I'd buy besides the food.
    Plants, hats, hats, teddy bears etc. The lamps one I liked but I already have one like that.
    I guess some of the problems are that the space is so small that there can only be X amount of stalls. And it's a big risk to set up if costs are up to €6/7,000!
    I suppose you could ask what kind of stalls would you like to see, what would you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

So that means all of the passengers from the Dublin and Limerick trains, Bus Eireann and and other bus passengers who take the short cut to the top of the square are counted as having visited the market.

I still say they cannot give a correct number of people who came to the market if they done it the way they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭squonk

I liked the market overall but one thing that bugged me is that, for the prices charged, the food wasn't all that great. I visited the Charcoal Grill and had a bbq hotdog which was nice but the Kangaroo burger I had wasn't all that great. The corn dog wasn't all that nice either and the Irish Sausage Company stand was a real disappointment. I was expecting various types of sausages that could be tried, but it was largely a chipper with a big leek sausie in a bagette. There didn't seem to be many other varieties of suasage that they had.

I liked the beer tent and the Pretzel stall, and the macroon stall but a lot fo the rest of the fodo wasn't the greatest considering the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

well, it's gone now thank goodness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

well, it's gone now thank goodness.
    Get over it, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Amik wrote: »
    I'm assuming the nun with the decorations gets a hefty pitch fee discount.

Why would you assume that? They're market traders, like any others. Can't see why they wouldn't pay the same fees.

(And as someone who visited the market at least twice every day, once on the way to the bus and once on the way back, I'm sure that my opinion is very important here. :D )

Anywhere in Galway that sell nuts like the 'nut' stall had?
    some of the coated nuts are lovley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The Christmas market is nice for the atmosphere, it adds something different to Galway for the holidays.
    What does it matter how many attended, it was a success.

Get over it, seriously.

Oh, apologies - I didn't realise you couldn't have alternative opinions on here. :D:D:D:D or people would get the hump

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

dinneenp wrote: »
    Anywhere in Galway that sell nuts like the 'nut' stall had?
    some of the coated nuts are lovley.
    Gourmet Tart Company do some nice ones. The honey roasted macadamias are particularly compulsive.

Oh, apologies - I didn't realise you couldn't have alternative opinions on here. :D:D:D:D or people would get the hump
    Everyone can have their opinion, but to come on three times in three days to ram your negative Xmas Market views down everyones throats is worthless in my opinion. You didnt even try anything there as far as we all know from what you said, yet you slate it constantly, therefore you are not worth listening to.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

snubbleste wrote: »
    All those people who walk through the Square every day to get from Forster Street to Williamsgate Street would be counted?

Has Kennedy Park been liberated from this commercial venture yet? Can the grass breathe again and photosynthesise in relative peace..

funny-pictures1.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Market was great, only got to visit it twice. How come it closed on Dec 18th, another week to go 'til Christmas?

Market was great, only got to visit it twice. How come it closed on Dec 18th, another week to go 'til Christmas?

I'd imagine the local traders wanted this as one of the stipulations when they were discussing about having the market...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I would say some traders needed to travel home for Christmas.

Everyone can have their opinion, but to come on three times in three days to ram your negative Xmas Market views down everyones throats is worthless in my opinion. You didnt even try anything there as far as we all know from what you said, yet you slate it constantly, therefore you are not worth listening to.

you are welcome to hit the ignore button :D, but you don't seem to be able to resist

well, they've made all the money they can and now going home to spend it I reckon and be rested up for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

I thought the market was brilliant.Tried a lot of the food and beer and really enjoyed it.Well organised and will miss it this week.Well done to everyone involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

well, they've made all the money they can and now going home to spend it I reckon and be rested up for Christmas

You're a waste of space. What are you doing hanging around on a thread blathering about something you don't like.

Anyway, the market was a great success and will be back again next year. I still think it should have ran up 'til christmas eve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Let the troll starve lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Let the troll starve lads.

Not hard considering the market prices.....

:D:D hilarious. such imaginations on ye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

My opinion has not changed since 2010.
    Overhyped, overpriced and over here.

My opinion has not changed since 2010.
    Whats your opinion on the regular market? I find it to e very overpriced, the butcher, woman selling cakes/buns, jams and the like, all way overpriced for what you get and could get elsewhere for far less. Markets are inherently dearer in my experience.

How can anyone say if they were a success already?
    By success does it mean stalls made a profit, visitors to Galway increases by X or simpliy did you enjoy it?

Here's my overview what people are complaining about:
    Yes, things may cost a euro or two more that you'd like to pay but stalls are expensive to rent. You have to get over that or else you won't enjoy the markets. Maybe give feedback to the relevant people/Galway City Council

The selection of stuff on sale wasn't great: Let me put that back to you- what would you like to see on sale, what would you buy?

For me the markets are more about the atmosphere, wandering around having a drink and a bite more than going there to buy (non-food) stuff.

They're an addition to Gawlay and something different to do. That has to be good. It's only the second year so there's still lessons to be learnt I'm sure but it's better having the markets rather than not having them.

Whats your opinion on the regular market? I find it to e very overpriced, the butcher, woman selling cakes/buns, jams and the like, all way overpriced for what you get and could get elsewhere for far less. Markets are inherently dearer in my experience.

Too croweded, tight space.
    Not a massive amount of stalls
    I'm all for markets but would love to see a big one, spaced out and with more stalls (and different stalls instead of the same all the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

At our invitation - because it encourages Irish people from Mayo, Roscommon, etc to come "over here" to Galway.

JustMary wrote: »
    At our invitation - because it encourages Irish people from Mayo, Roscommon, etc to come "over here" to Galway.

LOL - I wouldn't agree with that at all - unless they have mad cravings for overpriced battered sausages. I don't agree with he "at our invitation" either. Its only a couple of councillers with too much spare time on their hands that thought it might be a good idea, but then again, they don't seem to know much about anything really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

LOL - I wouldn't agree with that at all - unless they have mad cravings for overpriced battered sausages. I don't agree with he "at our invitation" either. Its only a couple of councillers with too much spare time on their hands that thought it might be a good idea, but then again, they don't seem to know much about anything really.
    By councillers (sic), you mean the Galway City Business Association?

Advertisement