Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

part time/full time pay issues

Options
  • 24-11-2011 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I started at the exact same time as a full time person, and we both signed a contract for the minimum wage, she has subsequently been given a pay rise while I remain on minimum wage, is this fair and legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fair - we cannot tell, has the other person been given more responsibilities than you? At very least, because s/he is there for longer, s/he has had more time to learn how to do things in the business.

Legal - I think so (but remember we cannot give legal advice here, only common sense). AFAIK, there is no requirement not to discriminate on length of service. OTOH, if you could prove that s/he is being paid more because of age, gender, race, etc that would be another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

acg1305 wrote: »
    I started at the exact same time as a full time person, and we both signed a contract for the minimum wage, she has subsequently been given a pay rise while I remain on minimum wage, is this fair and legal?
    So you expect to be given the same wage, but do less work? It sounds like the full timer has gotten a pay rise for working more than you.

Advertisement