Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moses Ayanwole (41) Nigerian Taxi driver died after been beaten in his taxi today

Options
  • 24-11-2011 4:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Poor man, my heart goes out to his family, It's also so sad that he died on a week when racial differences were highlighted in the national news. Unfortunately the poor man was working in an industry full of danger. Perhaps its time to review Taxi safety. Also perhaps its time the seat was taking out of the front of taxis and the passengers caged in the back like we see in the UK and the US. If that's the way to prevent further deaths then it should be done. I wrote here just last week on assaults on African drivers in Waterford and what they saw as a lack of concern by local Garda. Well it seems this news is not going to give them any confidence that things will get any better.

Anyway RIP Moses Ayanwole 41yo Dublin Taxi Driver

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

RIP, Poor man only earning a crust and having to be subjected to an attack like that. Hope its a murder charge the culprit responsible gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wpearsons23

charlemont wrote: »
    RIP, Poor man only earning a crust and having to be subjected to an attack like that. Hope its a murder charge the culprit responsible gets.

A murder charge? Why do you come to that suggestion? We know very very little about the details surrounding the incident. Step back and take a breath is what i'd say to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Horrible thing to happen over a taxi fare.
    A murder charge? Why do you come to that suggestion? We know very very little about the details surrounding the incident. Step back and take a breath is what i'd say to you

If they are caught, it will unlikely to be a littering charge anyway.

Hopefuly some light will be shed on the case sooner or later.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

samsham wrote: »
    he died on a week when racial differences were highlighted in the national news

I wrote here just last week on assaults on African drivers in Waterford and what they saw as a lack of concern by local Garda.

Was it a racially motivated crime? I haven’t heard that said in the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

+1 agree, let the guards sort that out.

There have been many reports about what happened. One I have heard is that a disagreement came out over a fare, the driver took out a baton, the passenger defended himself and punched the driver who fell and his head hit the ground hard. So this would not be a murder charge.

Obviously if the passenger did murder the driver then he deserves the full extent of the law thrown at him.

innocent until proven guilty though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

irishbird wrote: »

Was it a racially motivated crime? I haven’t heard that said in the news?

Neither have I. However lazy journalists will tie all the weeks events together so they can write articles about race relations in Ireland. Just wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Poor man, my heart goes out to his family, It's also so sad that he died on a week when racial differences were highlighted in the national news. Unfortunately the poor man was working in an industry full of danger. Perhaps its time to review Taxi safety. Also perhaps its time the seat was taking out of the front of taxis and the passengers caged in the back like we see in the UK and the US. If that's the way to prevent further deaths then it should be done. I wrote here just last week on assaults on African drivers in Waterford and what they saw as a lack of concern by local Garda. Well it seems this news is not going to give them any confidence that things will get any better.

Anyway RIP Moses Ayanwole 41yo Dublin Taxi Driver

What about attacks on non-african drivers? Does that not concern you as much?

Surely all men are equal regardless of ethnicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Children have lost a father, a woman has lost her partner. And why?

It is sickening to see some of the comments being posted in the feedback columns of some online Irish newspapers and on the Politics.ie web site.

It seems nothing is sacred to some racists, who want to blame the victim for being an immigrant, having the "wrong" skin colour, and so on.

Let's have some respect for an innocent working man who was brutally assaulted while earning a living and let the Gardai, the DPP and the courts get on with dealing with this sickening crime against a human being. Let's hope none of them have Darren Scully's selective attitude to doing his official duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

Degsy wrote: »
    What about attacks on non-african drivers? Does that not concern you as much?

Surely all men are equal regardless of ethnicity?

Why would you make a comment like that, all attacks concern me, It just happens this one happened this week and that African drivers seem to be taking a lot more abuse than Irish drivers lately. As to the other comments above as to this being racially motivated, who said it was. I said in a week when racially differences were pointed, as in, Africans being described as aggressive. Pointing out that were never agressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

that African drivers seem to be taking a lot more abuse than Irish drivers lately.

Perhaps an irish taxi driver would like to comment on that?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0909/ifsc.html

http://www.themissinglist.co.uk/police-appeal/taxi-driver-robbed-near-fire-station-north-strand-road-dublin

http://www.herald.ie/news/taxi-driver-robber-is-jailed-2636896.html

Ten seconds googling throws up three attacks...why didnt you highlight these when preachingto the forums?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    brutally assaulted

I really feel it for his family RIP,

Also from what I am lead to believe,

There was a disagreement about an incorrect taxi fare, the driver jumped out and grabbed the young lad in the passinger seat, took him out of the car, a scuffle broke out between the 2 of them and the poor driver ended up falling to the ground and hitting his head off the pathway.

Let the Garda or the DPP decide if this was a brutal assault.

In anyway my heart goes out to his family and friends

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Children have lost a father, a woman has lost her partner. And why?

It is sickening to see some of the comments being posted in the feedback columns of some online Irish newspapers and on the Politics.ie web site.

It seems nothing is sacred to some racists, who want to blame the victim for being an immigrant, having the "wrong" skin colour, and so on.

Let's have some respect for an innocent working man who was brutally assaulted while earning a living and let the Gardai, the DPP and the courts get on with dealing with this sickening crime against a human being. Let's hope none of them have Darren Scully's selective attitude to doing his official duty.

as have been said previously, no details have been released about the man's death. you dont know he was brutally assaulted - he there may have been an altercation and the man fell and banged his head - which is very different to being brutally assaulted.

i think you should refrain from making wild "evening herald" statements until you know the full facts.

JosDel wrote: »
    I really feel it for his family RIP,

Also from what I am lead to believe,

There was a disagreement about an incorrect taxi fare, the driver jumped out and grabbed the young lad in the passinger seat, took him out of the car, a scuffle broke out between the 2 of them and the poor driver ended up falling to the ground and hitting his head off the pathway.

Let the Garda or the DPP decide if this was a brutal assault.

In anyway my heart goes out to his family and friends

Saying it was over an incorrect fare implies the taxi driver was some how guilty. I have heard three different stories so far. none the same as yours.His post Morton is this afternoon, however the hospital said before his death he had serious face and head injuries. He also had injuries to his hands. regardless as to what happened to walk away leave him there, not even informing the emergency services is cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm hearing so many different versions of events that I don't know if anybody is really to blame. RIP the driver, my Dad is a taxi driver and I always worry about him when he's out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Saying it was over an incorrect fare implies the taxi driver was some how guilty. I have heard three different stories so far. none the same as yours.His post Morton is this afternoon, however the hospital said before his death he had serious face and head injuries. He also had injuries to his hands. regardless as to what happened to walk away leave him there, not even informing the emergency services is cold.

Today's Herald (yeah I know) describes accounts according to which a larger group of people wanted to get into his taxi, the driver refused because of the size of the group he could not accommodate them all. They went away to get more taxis but one of them stayed behind and this is when it happened. The one who stayed behind was apparently drunk.

mhge wrote: »
    Today's Herald (yeah I know) describes accounts according to which a larger group of people wanted to get into his taxi, the driver refused because of the size of the group he could not accommodate them all. They went away to get more taxis but one of them stayed behind and this is when it happened. The one who stayed behind was apparently drunk.

That along the line of one of the stories I heard, also that it was member of a particular community here. But then that's all second hand info.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

This made me really sad when I heard.

I hope the scumbag is done for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Coming out of the Grand Canal theatre last night, we (my elderly dad and I) saw that the taxi queue was long and that we would probably have a wait.

However, a taxi which had just left the queue suddenly stopped, and 2 people got out and went to the taxi behind instead. We gratefully grabbed the newly empty taxi, which turned out to have a driver who told us he is Nigerian. The taxi behind had a white driver, and my supposition now is that the other couple were racially prejudiced.

This may be happening quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 carlowed

the sad thing is it happend around the time of the naas-gate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Apart from this death happening on a Dublin street the discussion never really stayed inside the remit of the Dublin City Forum.

Taxi driver assaults, disputes, fare's etc are not us.

Neither is second, third or fourth hand information on an ongoing Garda investigation.

Nass, Waterford etc ... :rolleyes:

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement