Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marco Polo restaurant reviews

• 24-11-2011 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, I have booked Marco Polo for our family night out. Any one have any opinions on it yet. It is run by the Jasmine but the menus posted up outside do not look very impressive more like sun holiday resort cafe pictures of the dishes available. But based on the other Jasmine restaurants I would expect it to be fairly decent and expensive I expect. Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

From restaurants sticky:
    cee_jay wrote: »
    Tried Marco Polo today for lunch.
    Very small menu to choose from. I had the Lasagne (€8.50). There was a slice of garlic bread with it - which didn't taste much of garlic and was oily just like irish_girl found. My friend had some Chicken Scallop dish with a primavera sauce (€9). The portion sizes were huge. I left half the lasagne, and the chicken dish consisted of 2 large breaded chicken fillets. This was accompanied by green beans and fries.
    There seemed to be some large circular booths which would be good for large groups. The light fixtures were very nice!
    We asked to see the A La Carte menu - there was more of a choice, but not a massive one. From the drinks menu, bottle of beer seemed to be €4.95, Cocktail €7 and glass of wine €6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

Had dinner there last Sunday .. First impressions are pretty poor.

A LOT of money wasa spent on the fit out.. Finished to a very high standard with very good furnishing..

Why am I talking about everything but the food.?

Herein lies the problem..
    The menu is SOO basic ..( There's nothing wrong with that if its done well)
    The food is completely underwhelming and very very bland

I had the Spag Bol and my wife had the Carbonara, both were tasteless ..

Service was grand..Staff were very attentive and friendly but unless they radically overhaul the menu and make it interesting and edible I can't see it surviving.

If you like Italian, head for Milanos or Bella Italia or La Picollo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Ate there today with my daughter and tbh I was not impressed. The decor is fab but that's where the wow factor ends. The menu is very disappointing, very little choice. For main course I ordered the lasagne with a side of fries and my daughter ordered the chicken escalope with fries. I wasn't offered a wine list and when the waitress asked what we would like to drink my daughter shyly replied "what do you have, drinks aren't on the menu". My daughter is 8. Service was quite slow and it was far from busy, there was more waiting staff than customers. The cutlery (although designed fabulously) is extremly heavy. At the end of the meal my wrist was sore and half way through my daughters meal she had to use her hands as she couldn't manage the weight of the fork. The chicken escalope with fries was just a plain breaded piece of chicken. The lasagne, although it was quite a big portion was very bland. Sitting at the table I couldn't help but think how satisfied we would have been elsewhere. We left disappointed. I will not be bringing myself back there and it saddens me as it is a great location and I used to love luigi malones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ashgal

I ate there on Friday and found the service to be excellent and efficent.

The interior is impressive to say the least but it does remind me of chocolat, which is run by the same group.

Yes, the main is VERY basic.....was expecting more in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Not a good start for them it seems. No point in having a lovely restaurant to look at if the food isn't up to scratch. No harm in a small menu though once there is a decent spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bobmoloney

STAY AWAY!!
    large group of us were their last night.
    These are my main points.
    1.One waitress serving us all
    2. Half an hour waiting for a drink.
    3. My msate wife ordered chicken , it was RAW and she is 7 months pregnant.
    4. The white wine was warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

bobmoloney wrote: »
    STAY AWAY!!
    large group of us were their last night.
    These are my main points.
    1.One waitress serving us all
    2. Half an hour waiting for a drink.
    4. The white wine was warm.

That seems to checklist all the things you DON'T want in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Birdie086 wrote: »

del arte in the crescent isnt much better

Birdie086 wrote: »

del arte in the crescent isnt much better

Yeah but Del Arte isn't trying to be a trendy, fancy city centre restaurant. They know they're a shopping centre convenience,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

wow, can't wait for our Christmas work party we're having there :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My work christmas party are heading here - looks like its going to be fairly crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

wow, can't wait for our Christmas work party we're having there :(

Dont think I will be able to make it TT! Is JBB bringing ye out for dinner or just drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kebris

Hmmmm ... was there on Friday with BH and two teen daughters. As others have already said, the decor is "glitzy". We had a mix across the menu including pasta, pizza and a chicken dish. We all agreed that the portions were "good " & the food was tasty. The waitress was very attentive and we were not kept waiting for anything.
    Agreed that when we arrived there did appear to be more staff than customers, but by the time were were leaving it was filling up nicely.
    There was one big problem, however - icon8.gifthe fire alarm malfunctioned and they were unable to turn it off for nearly 20 minutes - but that's another story ...!
    Bottom line -icon14.gif based on our experience, we will be going back again, and very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was in there around 2:30 today and it was fairly busy as late lunchs go on a Monday afternoon.

I hope it does well. A good gastronomic offering would be great for our city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is this a true Italian restaurant?Or just glitzy decor and trendy name that will get in the crowds

bigpink wrote: »
    Is this a true Italian restaurant?Or just glitzy decor and trendy name that will get in the crowds

It shares its kitchen with the wokking, that should tell you all you need to know!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

At least if if set itself out as a fast food italian cheap and cheerful place it wouldnt be so bad!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is it anything like the building's former business? I used to have a soft spot for Luigi Malone's after going on a few dates there. :o

Is it anything like the building's former business? I used to have a soft spot for Luigi Malone's after going on a few dates there. :o

The Draught beer is the same. ;)

Beer Baron wrote: »
    The Draught beer is the same. ;)

What's on draught?

• Advertisement

What's on draught?

Fischer German Helles

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Fischer German Helles

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Taking a bird there on a date is why you had to go on a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭susita06

Was there two weeks ago for early dinner. Was highly disappointed with the menu- very small choice, pictures were not appetizing whatsoever and i found the restaurant to be cold-alost like the air conditioning was on too high?
    I got the pizza as it was the only thing that sounded nice and the pizza itself was quite nice.

Waiter asked would we like a desert menu and we said yes- we go the menu made the choice and the waiter never came back to take the order. After waiting 25 minutes we decided to leave without the desert.

Very disappointing overall

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Taking a bird there on a date is why you had to go on a few of them.

I was 19. Give me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mflanagan95

Just been tonight, wish i had read the reviews, so dissappointed it was terrible! This is literally what i got for my main course-2 small pieces of garlic bread which did not taste the slightest bit like garlic, spagettin seasoned with garlic!! so angry! no meat even though it said there would be chicken on the menu. terrible restaurant! some of the staff were pretty nice but the managers didnt seem too friendly, when we were having cocktails at the end of the meal they kept eyeing us up, i presume they were wondering when we were going to leave............also when i first arrived they hadnt even my table ready even though i had booked well in advance.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:DONT GO THERE UTTER CRAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Decided to give it a go despite the bad reviews. Very poor standard of food. If I had made it myself at home I would be disappointed. Wouldn't go back. Will stick to the Hamptons - similar prices but MUCH better food

Also had fantastic night out recently in the
    Lebanese restaurant on Thomas street. Food was great and bellydancers sprang from nowhere. Menu is mostly lamb but not a problem for me and the oh as we are both lamb fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I went a couple of weeks ago, and got undercooked chicken, so for that reason alone I won't be returning.
    Also, wasn't impressed with the staff, who really didn't seem too bothered about customers, felt as though we were more of an annoyance than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

bobmoloney wrote: »

Have just seen this. So it wasn't just me then. A few months on and it seems they still haven't learnt to cook chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

Is this the same marco polo that we have been to on o connell street?
    Been there 3 times in the last month for lunch with wife and kids
    Not a problem...and i usually find problems in most restaurants
    Food was good and great value for money and staff were helpful
    but not too much in your face and toilets are really clean....
    just wondering how many of the negative reviewers have an interest
    in other restaurant businesses in town :confused:

Advertisement