Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marco Polo restaurant reviews

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

benj wrote: »
    Is this the same marco polo that we have been to on o connell street?
    Been there 3 times in the last month for lunch with wife and kids
    Not a problem...and i usually find problems in most restaurants
    Food was good and great value for money and staff were helpful
    but not too much in your face and toilets are really clean....
    just wondering how many of the negative reviewers have an interest
    in other restaurant businesses in town :confused:

To be fair, for all we know you could work there or own the place too, who knows? The joys of anonymous posting on a public forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

benj wrote: »
    just wondering how many of the negative reviewers have an interest in other restaurant businesses in town :confused:

I have a relative working there and I posted a negative comment and I stand over it 100%. I have been asked numerous times since to come in for lunch but I can't help remembering while I was there the last time that I would have enjoyed somewhere else instead and for that reason I won't go back and I tell my relative over and over the food is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I've eaten there and didn't have any complaints, lovely setting too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I've had a couple of meals there and they were both fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 digitaldolf

Was there not too long ago for lunch. Basic but good food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MrLaurel

If you're out on the lash for a stag party in a group of twenty, its cheap and it'll do. Nice decor though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I was there for lunch with IO. It was my first time there but I must say, it was top class. The Curry I had was divine! Good prices too. Not too expensive. Only downside I found was one of the staff that seemed a bit up their own hole kinda thing, but coulda just been that kinda day for her too. Defiantly planning on going back again soon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Snipe wrote: »
    I was there for lunch with IO. It was my first time there but I must say, it was top class. The Curry I had was divine! Good prices too. Not too expensive. Only downside I found was one of the staff that seemed a bit up their own hole kinda thing, but coulda just been that kinda day for her too. Defiantly planning on going back again soon.

I don't know which staff member you got that impression from. Both waitresses who dealt with us seemed just fine to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I don't know which staff member you got that impression from. Both waitresses who dealt with us seemed just fine to me!

The one with the asking about desert or coffee, she just seemed like she didn't want to be there at all! :P But as I said, coulda been the day too. And ofc you wouldn't have noticed it, you were so happy someone coulda been shot infront of you and you wouldn't have noticed! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Insect Ovwerload, are you tapping the Snipe???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

killwill wrote: »
    Insect Ovwerload, are you tapping the Snipe???

He wishes. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Just said I'd bump this old thread on Marco Polos - I've been there a good few times (I was put off initially by the bad reviews which I can only put down to initial teething problems) in both small and large groups and it's now my favourite restaurant in town.

Service is friendly, impeccable and quick, serious value for money in there for what you're getting and they looked after us when we had a large group of 20+ twice. Threw in free bottles of wine AND gave money back from the 300e they made from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The Snipe wrote: »

I know this is an old post but why is an Italian restaurant serving curry?:confused:

I've never been partly because Luigi Malones was so bad that the building is cursed for me. I remember looking at the Menu when it opened and being completely underwhelmed, it was as boring as hell.

I've eaten twice in del arte and was happy enough both times, nothing special but you wouldn't expect it in a shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I find it a bit hit and miss to be honest. I've been there with herself a couple of times and it was nice. Fairly good value, decent food, etc. I was there with a group not too long ago and it was very average. The food was very bland, we were really rushed between courses. It seemed a bit more like a canteen than a restaurant to be honest.

I think its ok, but when I have relations/close friends coming to visit or its a special occasion I look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

Lived with 2 Italian ladies so perhaps I have been spoilt with good authentic Italian grub which belive me is nothing like what they serve in this place :)

Been to this restaurant a number of times (through work lunches) and was really not impressed. The menu is very limited and to be blunt very tasteless. Bread and cheeses are of poor quality, pasta dishes are bland and seasoning is very poor. Only positive is that Staff are very friendly and helpful.

At the end of the day it’s a generic wannabe Italian food which produces cheap, generic food for the masses, not that tasty but cheap with mass appeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

fi314 wrote: »
    Lived with 2 Italian ladies so perhaps I have been spoilt with good authentic Italian grub which belive me is nothing like what they serve in this place :)

Been to this restaurant a number of times (through work lunches) and was really not impressed. The menu is very limited and to be blunt very tasteless. Bread and cheeses are of poor quality, pasta dishes are bland and seasoning is very poor. Only positive is that Staff are very friendly and helpful.

At the end of the day it’s a generic wannabe Italian food which produces cheap, generic food for the masses, not that tasty but cheap with mass appeal

Not sure I'd agree with this, having just spent a week in Italy, the only difference I see between their food and the food I got in Italy, is the ingredients taste slightly different. (nothing tastes like fresh Italian tomatoes).

In fact one restaurant was worse than Marco polo, but that was the only touristy restaurant we went to, so wouldn't have expected that to be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

In a word ...dreadful...

I ate here today again after a long absence...
    Worst meal I've ever eaten, menu had been changed by chef and he hadn't told his staff,(.,wife's meal) I had the worst main I've ever had.

Complained to the manager. ZERO satisfaction.

Save your money folks, try anywhere but here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

t'is grand for a tenner during a weekday

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

I went there with a group a month ago and I found it to be good value for money. Staff were excellent especially the bloke who seemed to be in charge, only complaint was that they were a bit slow serving the beer. I am not a big foodie but I was happy overall with the meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

source wrote: »
    Not sure I'd agree with this, having just spent a week in Italy, the only difference I see between their food and the food I got in Italy, is the ingredients taste slightly different. (nothing tastes like fresh Italian tomatoes).

In fact one restaurant was worse than Marco polo, but that was the only touristy restaurant we went to, so wouldn't have expected that to be great.

Agree with the guy who lived with the Italians. The food you get in Ireland isn't really the same as you get in Italy, but as you say, ingredients, portions etc will dictate this. The Carbonara you get in Ireland is nothing like what you get in Italy imo. Some of the pizzas here are close enough to Italian ones, but the dough will always taste a bit different, as the raw ingredients are apparently what makes the difference (flour and water). I spent 2 years in Italy, and was a greedy boll*x there :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

IMO you can't do wrong with the lunch menu.

9.99 for a starter, main and a drink.

Recently had the calamari starter and a spicy beef pizza which were both delish.

Cost 12 euro in total.

Sat down a few weeks ago with my wife and another couple on a Saturday afternoon.

4 starters, 4 mains, 4 soft drinks, no complaints, all happy, 44 euro.

If you want high class dining look elsewhere.

Advertisement