Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MNBA Card Alert - Possible scam

• 24-11-2011 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

I got a phone call at home yesterday with an automated message for my wife purporting to be from MNBA. It had "important information" regarding her MNBA credit card.

I immediately suspected a scam and hung up. When I checked the caller id the number was Russian.

They had the card holders name, home phone number and knew she had an MNBA card. I rang MNBA and let them know what had happened.

You have been warned

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Unfortunately, several banks (and other companies) have the idiotic tendency to make calls to customers and demand personal information to continue the conversation.

I absolutely never engage with anyone calling me and asking me for info. I don't care what the caller ID is, as it can be spoofed very easily.

If a bank calls me, I hang up and call them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They had the card holders name, home phone number and knew she had an MNBA card.

Chances are if you ring enough numbers, you're going to hit somone with an MBNA card sooner rather than later.

If it is from a bank just say the following:

For quality assurances reasons, some calls may be recorded.

Before we continue any further, for security reasons, could you just tell me your full name, date of birth, your mother's maiden name and the name of your pet ?

It usually confuses them and they hang up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Chances are if you ring enough numbers, you're going to hit somone with an MBNA card sooner rather than later.

Yes but they had the card holders name and home phone number

trad wrote: »
    Yes but they had the card holders name and home phone number

The phonebook would give you that much information.

MBNA have > half a million Irish customers. You'll hit one of them easily enough.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    The phonebook would give you that much information.

MBNA have > half a million Irish customers. You'll hit one of them easily enough.

Not really, the phone account is in my name, the wife uses her maiden name and the call was for her in her maiden name.

Got the same call again about 20 mins ago.

I'm just trying to give people the heads up to a scam. You can uses statistics and probabilities all you like.

If it's not a scam, it's slippy practice from mbna, either way, hang up and call them back on the number on the back of your card.

Mbna have records of any outbound call made to a customer. They can easily tell you who made it and why.

So why would MNBA, based in Carrick on Shannon route their calls through Russia and why would'nt MNBA, when I rang them, tell me that they make calls to their Irish customers from a Russian phone number.

MBNA use outsourced call centres in India for some things. It's possible that a VoIP setup is displaying weird Caller ID information.

Check the number against : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Russia

They *will* have records of every outbound call on file, so ring up the 1800 number on the back of your card and ask.

It's most likely either sales, or to remind you of a late payment

Advertisement