Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 year old girl raped in a Dublin park by three youths

Options
  • 24-11-2011 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

Garda were today searching for three white boys after the horrific rape of a black teenager. The girl (16) was attacked for more than an hour in the shocking incident. Three teenage boys and a white girl are being sought in connection with the rape, gardai said. The investigation is taking place against a background of an increasing number of reported sex crimes. In a separate incident, a woman in her 20s was savagely sexually assaulted in a park in north Dublin by two men.

http://www.herald.ie/news/hunt-for-teen-boys-after-girl-16-suffers-horrific-race-rape-2942687.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

So we have one side of a story here, from one person. Horrible if she was actually of course but then again consent cannot be ruled out at this early stage.

I don't pay too much attention to the Herald's sensationalised headlines or stories.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am sorry but what the hell has the colour of anyones skin got to do with this horredous crime :mad:

what the fcuk has the colour of skin got to do with it? gang rape is bad enough already ffs you don't need to "sensationalise" it any more than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

irishbird wrote: »
    i am sorry but what the hell has the colour of anyones skin got to do with this horredous crime :mad:

It's media sensationalism. They've been at it for years.

But I agree this is horrible. Hope they catch those f*cks, although with our impeccable court system I'm sure they'll be given some stupid sentence. B*stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

bluewolf wrote: »
    what the fcuk has the colour of skin got to do with it?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

If the victim (God love the poor girl) had any other distinctive features to her appearance would that have been commented on?
    Would the OP have named the thread:

"16 year old ginger haired girl..."
    or
    "16 year old overweight girl..."
    or
    "16 year old freckled girl..."
    or
    "16 year old girl with glasses..."

?

Not to take away from the message, it's an awful thing to happen to anyone, the poor poor girl, but the OPs thread title really annoyed me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

cosmic wrote: »
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

If the victim (God love the poor girl) had any other distinctive features to her appearance would that have been commented on?
    Would the OP have named the thread:

"16 year old ginger haired girl..."
    or
    "16 year old overweight girl..."
    or
    "16 year old freckled girl..."
    or
    "16 year old girl with glasses..."

?

Not to take away from the message, it's an awful thing to happen to anyone, the poor poor girl, but the OPs thread title really annoyed me.

I really don't understand why that description would offend anyone, when a man who is murdered in this country and is not Irish, the head line usually reads Polish man murdered. Like here Black girl raped. It simply gives a little more detail. Black people don't mind being called black people. Another headline, Murdered teacher was tied up. Its alarming to me that the rape seems secondary to the description of the girls ethnicity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

It is unclear if the girl knew any of the group of four teenagers, although gardai are hopeful she will be able to identify them.

Unclear,eh?
    The Devil is always in the detail...from a racially-motivated gang rape to a canoodling session potentially gone wrong....which sells more papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Degsy wrote: »
    Unclear,eh?
    The Devil is always in the detail...from a racially-motivated gang rape to a canoodling session potentially gone wrong....which sells more papers?
    Gone very very wrong in fairness are you really suggesting that a 16 year old girl who meets a boy for a walk in the park holding hands and a kiss deserves to be gang raped?
    Or just if she is black?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

samsham wrote: »
    Its alarming to me that the rape seems secondary to the description of the girls ethnicity.

Not quite. See below:
    cosmic wrote: »
    Not to take away from the message, it's an awful thing to happen to anyone...
    ...gang rape is bad enough already ffs..
    ...horredous crime :mad:

Also,
    I really don't understand why that description would offend anyone

Offensive - perhaps. Unnecessary - definitely.

Some of the comments above are ungraceful. We have Miss Marple (Degsy)
    above almost suggesting this girl was not raped. I am sorry I started this post as all that is happening is this girls dignity is being stripped. Perhaps its a little too sensitive for the lump hammers here.

• Advertisement

Some of the comments above are ungraceful. We have Miss Marple (Degsy)
    above almost suggesting this girl was not raped. I am sorry I started this post as all that is happening is this girls dignity is being stripped. Perhaps its a little too sensitive for the lump hammers here.

I'm suggesting that you seem to have an agenda here..something to do with racially motivated crimes(as you see it)...i'm also suggesting that playing the race card at every oppurtunity is cliched,lazy and extremely damaging to race relations.

If a girl was raped that indeed is a crime and a tragedy..the fact that she was black doesnt make it any more of a crime or a tragedy UNLESS it can be proven to be racially motivated and there is no such proof.

Gone very very wrong in fairness are you really suggesting that a 16 year old girl who meets a boy for a walk in the park holding hands and a kiss deserves to be gang raped??

You of course are privvy to the full details and not the claptrap published in the local rags?

Where did it say she was "gang raped"?
    Or just if she is black?

Colour doesnt matter to me..in my experience its used as a mitigating or agravating factor by Ignorant people with chips on thier shoulders.

Unclear,eh?

There is simply no excuse for that, (a canoodling session gone wrong). very sick.

I am sorry I started this post as all that is happening is this girls dignity is being stripped.

And you are helping to strip it...we can read the papers for ourselves..you didnt need to post the story here,this isnt a newsgroup.

You decided to give it a bit of further publicity(at the expense of the girl's dignity) in your pursuit of an agenda concerning 'racially motivated' crimes in ireland.

You have of course not one shred of proof that anything you've been publicising has its roots in racial conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Garda were today searching for three white boys after the horrific rape of a black teenager. The girl (16) was attacked for more than an hour in the shocking incident. Three teenage boys and a white girl are being sought in connection with the rape, gardai said. The investigation is taking place against a background of an increasing number of reported sex crimes. In a separate incident, a woman in her 20s was savagely sexually assaulted in a park in north Dublin by two men.

http://www.herald.ie/news/hunt-for-teen-boys-after-girl-16-suffers-horrific-race-rape-2942687.html

OP, read what you have posted/linked and then read the thread title?
    the 16 year old was attacked in athlone and a woman in her twenties attacked in dublin

You of course are privvy to the full details and not the claptrap published in the local rags?

Where did it say she was "gang raped"?
    ...after she was attacked by a group of white teenagers...
    Gardai said the rape occurred when the victim was dragged into an area behind a wall at Monksland, between the Ceathru na Gloc housing estate and the Monksland community centre.
    being dragged and raped sounds like a rape to me

why are you so desperate to assume it's "a session gone wrong" ffs

subway wrote: »
    OP, read what you have posted/linked and then read the thread title?
    the 16 year old was attacked in athlone and a woman in her twenties attacked in dublin

Also on the post it says three white boys, but that offends nobody I am sure the papers added that it was a black girl, because it was. I am sure she has no hang ups about being black, why should we. Its probably there because of its unusual profile. Also some of the posters here so enraged with my description have no problem describing her rape as a canoodling session potentially gone wrong. that just twisted ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Totally agree - with the only proviso being that if it may help to identify people who were involved, it's worth including.

being dragged and raped sounds like a rape to me

why are you so desperate to assume it's "a session gone wrong" ffs

there is crossed wires - there is no information about the Coolock rape but there has been talk of a session getting out of control.

The Athlone case has been descriped as rape

Also on the post it says three white boys, but that offends nobody I am sure the papers added that it was a black girl, because it was. I am sure she has no hang ups about being black, why should we. Its probably there because of its unusual profile. Also some of the posters here so enraged with my description have no problem describing her rape as a canoodling session potentially gone wrong. that just twisted ..

the way the article is worded it implies that it is a hate crime, racially motivated.

OP are you the Journalist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

if you are going to quote what i posted, try respond to what posted.

i am saying you have the two stories mixed up, if you want to focus on the 16 year old and the 3 guys, you should have posted in the athlone forum.

GARDAI were today searching for three white boys after the horrific rape of a black teenager.

The girl (16) was attacked for more than an hour in the shocking incident.

Three teenage boys and a white girl are being sought in connection with the rape, gardai said.

The investigation is taking place against a background of an increasing number of reported sex crimes.
    In a separate incident, a woman in her 20s was savagely sexually assaulted in a park in north Dublin by two men.

No arrests have been made so far.

The Dublin Rape Crisis Centre announced that it received 12,000 calls last year which included more than 3,300 first-time callers.
    Several days earlier, the teenage black girl was attacked in Athlone.

The girl's ordeal, on November 15, lasted for around an hour before she managed to escape.
    The woman who suffered severe internal injuries is said to be "deeply traumatised" after the rape and was unable to give gardai a full description of her attackers.

However it is understood gardai stopped two men close to the scene on Monday morning and these men -- who are also believed to live in the locality -- are now the main focus of the investigation.

Searches were carried out yesterday morning by detectives investigating the attack and a garda source said that "progress is being made in this investigation".

Distress

The scene of the rape -- a park beside the Northside Shopping Centre -- was preserved and sealed off for a full forensic examination, which took place on Monday.

"We are hopeful that this matter can be brought to a successful conclusion," a garda source told the Herald. Residents in Riverside Road, beside the stretch of park where the attack took place, say the victim of the assault is believed to be a local woman who had been attending a nightclub not far from where she was assaulted.

"The poor woman ran from the park after the attack at around 2.15am and she was banging on doors along the road and somebody let her in because she was in such distress," said one woman.

"She was trying to put her trousers and underwear back on and she was very distressed. It was two men that attacked her we heard," she added.

Locals say it is the third such attack to happen in the park in the past few years.

"I wouldn't walk in there at night. You might think you are safe enough because you are near rows of houses, but you are anything but safe," one young local woman told the Herald.
    Meanwhile in a separate investigation, gardai in Athlone, Co Westmeath, have issued an appeal for information after a 16-year-old black girl was raped after she was attacked by a group of white teenagers, which included another girl. The rape occurred last Tuesday, November 15, at an area known locally as Monksland on the old Tuam Road. The girl's ordeal lasted for around an hour, before she managed to escape.

Gardai said the rape occurred when the victim was dragged into an area behind a wall at Monksland, between the Ceathru na Gloc housing estate and the Monksland community centre.
    It is unclear if the girl knew any of the group of four teenagers, although gardai are hopeful she will be able to identify them. The Dublin Rape Crisis Centre today warned that further Government cuts would compromise its service.

the story keeps flipping back and forth

http://www.herald.ie/news/race-rape-of-girl-16-2942663.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Has anyone even stopped to think that this might not be rape at all? We are only going by the story of one individual. Grow a brain ffs.

I saw the headline at the traffic lights yesterday and laughed. How the f**k does the Herald have so much (completely uncredible) information before the police. Why do people never cop on to the absolute cock they blurt out to make headlines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Can we ban news reports from The Herald, Indo and Mail me wonder's?.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement