Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should chimps be given human rights?

• 24-11-2011 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

I think so, they are 99% the same as us. In some places, they wanna give Orangutans special rights, I applaud them and think we should go one step forward.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

<looks at title>

"chimp" =/= "human"

/argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

No, they probably taste delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Chimps are nasty little violent fcukers. I hope we drop an atomic bomb on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Like freedom of thought, conscience, and religion? Freedom of opinion and expression? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

No, because human rights are for humans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Maybe give them chimp rights.....start with that and see how they got on. I'd say they'd be happy enough just being left alone to be chimps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Yes, the chimps in Dublin zoo should be given the right to vote as well, sure they're 99% the same as us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

hoorsmelt wrote: »
    I think so, they are 99% the same as us. In some places, they wanna give Orangutans special rights, I applaud them and think we should go one step forward.

With rights usually come responsibilites. What responsibilities might a chimp have?

Chimps and all the great apes have more higher functioning than other species, but they are wild animals and should be treated as such while respecting their greater intelligence.

I think all animals have a right to be treated humanely and with respect for their intelligence. I don't know what further rights could be realistically awarded to chimps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Yes, the chimps in Dublin zoo should be given the right to vote as well, sure they're 99% the same as us.
    Perhaps chimps wouldn't have voted FF into power 3 times in a row. In some ways they're more intelligent than us :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

If they're so intelligent, why don't they form their own government and decide on their own rights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Humans should be given chimp rights. I'd love to be able to sit around all day doing nothing, flashing my hair arse at passers by, and throwing my faeces around the place whenever the inclination took me.

Oh, wait a minute....

coonecb1 wrote: »
    No, because human rights are for humans

I'm Homer and I pay the Homer tax!
    (That's the home-owner tax)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

What about marriage equality? Could one marry a particularly handsome/lovely chimp?

What about marriage equality? Could one marry a particularly handsome/lovely chimp?

In Texas.

I'm thinking this is a veiled attempt of an infultration by PETA. Go away you smelly vegans! Don't bring your lethargy here!

What's wrong with ugly chimps? You're so shallow. All about looks with you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ojola

Dear hoorsmelt. please enlighten me where your 99% figure is from. Also note the adjective human before the noun rights answers the question. Human rights is for humans and since Orangutans are classed animals they do not get human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

Yeah, I think they should be given human rights, why not?...wait a minute, Statue of Liberty? We finally really did it! You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to HELL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Who would we test our much needed cometics on then

a ridiculous suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

murphk wrote: »

Scumbags.

Who would we test our much needed cosmetics on then

a ridiculous suggestion

Wait. The cosmetics industry has always been targeting females (only recently males with all this "look alert and put this on under your eyes" b*llocks). So women are ultimately at fault for animal testing seeing that it's products that are made for them!?

Can. Open. Worms. Everywhere. :pac:

• Advertisement

a ridiculous suggestion
    Former FF cabinet ministers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They shouldn't be given human rights but they should be given cigars and Groucho moustaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Has the OP seen planet of the apes.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    They shouldn't be given human rights but they should be given cigars and Groucho moustaches.

Don't forget the fez's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Yeah sure why not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's actually 96% so, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No becasue who is going to start charging them with murder and animal cruelty for the way they hunt,prey and fight.

44leto wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes: Has the OP seen planet of the apes.

Possibly while high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Next thing you'll want us to house them and give them the dole.

• Advertisement

Warning if chimps got full human rights culchies would want them to.

No, they want opposable thumbs first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

How many chimps fought against the Black and Tans? Why should we provide for them when they didn't see fit to help us in our hour of need :mad:

smash wrote: »
    Next thing you'll want us to house them and give them the dole.

T'would be keeper than forcing them to stay in a zoo. It would teach them responsibility too. There's plenty of free accommodation in places like Moyross, they might be able to put manners on the locals there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

T'would be keeper than forcing them to stay in a zoo.

Sorry... what?

Chimps they look nice and cute when Tarzan or Micheal jackson are cuddling them. If I was ever challenged by them in the wild you would think you could easily give the yoke a boot and a few clatters and that would be that.

BUT they are five times stronger then us, they are capable of tossing a wrestler out of the ring and tearing a limb off with bare strength. Also they are quick with a very powerful bite. When they are in an aggressive state they are extremely dangerous as many who took them for pets later and some fatally found out.

• Advertisement

Chimps they look nice and cute when Tarzan or Micheal jackson are cuddling them. If I was ever challenged by them in the wild you would think you could easily give the yoke a boot and a few clatters and that would be that.

BUT they are five times stronger then us, they are capable of tossing a wrestler out of the ring and tearing a limb off with bare strength. Also they are quick with a very powerful bite. They in an aggressive condition are extremely dangerous as many who took them for pets later and some fatally found out.

That's why we'd liberate them and house them where the Limerick gangs live. They'd sort the area out pretty quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

No, I don't think we'll be telling them that!

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liamwworZv1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Chimpanzees would'nt want the very complicated existance humans have .They are far better off in many ways .Mortgages or bill of any sort they don't have.Worrying about food...they don't .How much time does it take a chimp to get ready for a date??????????

Besides they are not aware, they live and are capable off suffering, they are instinctual beings, but that's it. To be aware of one's existence you have to be able to form an internal dialogue, you have to understand language. Chimps or any other creature other then human cannot.

So no they should not be granted human rights, but they should not be treated cruelly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

c_man wrote: »
    How many chimps fought against the Black and Tans? Why should we provide for them when they didn't see fit to help us in our hour of need :mad:

It was gorillas duh. Why do you think it was called gorilla warfare?

• Advertisement

We'd want the chimps to do what exactly??

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

Regardless of how similar our DNA is they still are wild animals who either live in the wild, in cages, in human managed conservatories or whatever and in rare case, as pets.

Yes, they may be smart in comparison to most other animals but they do not match us in regards to intelligence, hell, most of the "smart things" they're capable of are things humanity thought them to do, not things they are able to figure out on their own, like how you train a dog.

Now, rights? The only ones living in human society are ones in zoos or the ones kept as pets and even they're supported by their owner(s) like any other common pet.

Basically, they are not eligible for rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jerri Jordan

they should be given the right to live freely and safely in their natural environment away from paochers and human contact. the land they live on should be protected and deemed to be theres not mans. let them get on with their own social structures and man should just stop destroying their habitats and using them for medical science. They should not be allowed be bought as babies , raped from their mothers arms for the sick amusement of peoples home zoo's. Chimps should have the rights to keep their offspring and live happily away from human intrusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I think they should be under sharia law:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I think they should be under sharia law:)

Think they're Christian. I heard one refereed to as a Primate the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

stovelid wrote: »
    Think they're Christian. I heard one refereed to as a Primate the other day.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonkeysAreMuslims

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

John Doe1 wrote: »
    3/10 for making me click the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

What rights would we give to the big massive one that climbs the building? I cant see him paying tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ForgottenCandy

Er, it would be more like chimp rights, not human rights, cause technically, they're chimps and not humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

BUT they are five times stronger then us, they are capable of tossing a wrestler out of the ring and tearing a limb off with bare strength.

Infacta they are 125 times stronger than a man and could lift a bus full of 75 screaming school children and toss it about 150 meters.

All their feats are divisible by 25.

• Advertisement
Advertisement