Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should chimps be given human rights?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

if we dont give them the same rights they very well may rise up against with horses and bamboo sticks.............just think about that and ask urself is it worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Infacta they are 125 times stronger than a man and could lift a bus full of 75 screaming school children and toss it about 150 meters.

All their feats are divisible by 25.
    Just something I seen on nat geog a kind of "when pets attack show" up to then I would have fancied my chances against a chimp.

Only 4 times stronger then us according to this,

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=the%20strenght%20of%20a%20chimp&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencedaily.com%2Freleases%2F2009%2F03%2F090330200829.htm&ei=s1XOTpvaFo2JhQep8ODBDQ&usg=AFQjCNHu19E0FZamcYMrB2REYrBgUl8z3A

"chimpanzee attack, during which a pet chimp inflicted devastating injuries on a Connecticut woman, was a stark reminder that chimps are much stronger than humans—as much as four-times stronger, some researchers believe. But what is it that makes our closest primate cousins so much stronger than we are? One possible explanation is that great apes simply have more powerful muscles"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

44leto wrote:
    "But what is it that makes our closest primate cousins so much stronger than we are? One possible explanation is that great apes simply have more powerful muscles"

No ****.

Stark wrote: »
    No ****.

Yeah really:D that would explain it

Anyway I think Chuck Stone was thinking about King Kong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/138163009_145eee499d.jpg

Simpsons has a pic for every thread it seems:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Why would chimps want human rights? They already have chimp rights, and that's obviously way better. They can strut around **** all day if they want, or slap their neighbour in the head if he's being a prick without having to risk law suits. Humans should be given chimp rights!

Chimp rights ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

44leto wrote: »
    Yeah really:D that would explain it

Anyway I think Chuck Stone was thinking about King Kong.

Na, I was just talking shite. I practice every day on AH. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Fish and chimps with mushy bee's...

Delish...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

Just something I seen on nat geog a kind of "when pets attack show" up to then I would have fancied my chances against a chimp.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=the%20strenght%20of%20a%20chimp&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencedaily.com%2Freleases%2F2009%2F03%2F090330200829.htm&ei=s1XOTpvaFo2JhQep8ODBDQ&usg=AFQjCNHu19E0FZamcYMrB2REYrBgUl8z3A

"chimpanzee attack, during which a pet chimp inflicted devastating injuries on a Connecticut woman, was a stark reminder that chimps are much stronger than humans—as much as four-times stronger, some researchers believe. But what is it that makes our closest primate cousins so much stronger than we are? One possible explanation is that great apes simply have more powerful muscles"

At the end of the day though we could easily wipe them out if we actually desired to.

So much for their strength.

• Advertisement

At the end of the day though we could easily wipe them out if we actually desired to.

Huh, really.
    Well they can't outrun a bullet, or block it with their strength, I suppose we could wipe out anything if we had the will and the bother to, including ourselves.

Flies I think there is a good case for wiping them out, I just don't like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Chimps they look nice and cute when Tarzan or Micheal jackson are cuddling them. If I was ever challenged by them in the wild you would think you could easily give the yoke a boot and a few clatters and that would be that.

BUT they are five times stronger then us, they are capable of tossing a wrestler out of the ring and tearing a limb off with bare strength. Also they are quick with a very powerful bite. When they are in an aggressive state they are extremely dangerous as many who took them for pets later and some fatally found out.
    And don't any of you human fuuckers forget it!!!!!!!!
    Chimps rule!!!!!!!!!1

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Chimpanzees are far superior to Humans in every way except in thought.In fact all animals are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Chimps are nasty little violent fcukers. I hope we drop an atomic bomb on them.
    Agreed, but leave the Bonobos alone, we could learn a lot from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Never change AH :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

chin_grin wrote: »
    <looks at title>

"chimp" =/= "human"

/argument.

No but they are Hominidae and as such should be given rights to life, freedom and protection from torture.

There is actually a movement backed by richard dawkins to name one to give the basic human rights we have to the non human apes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Ape_Project

• Advertisement

Its definatly much more than four times stronger than us as results of the previous studies indicate. In fact I would say 6 or 7 times our strenght.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hoorsmelt wrote: »
    I think so, they are 99% the same as us. In some places, they wanna give Orangutans special rights, I applaud them and think we should go one step forward.
    Sponges are 70% the same as us so shouldn't the get rights too ?

and lettuce at about 30-40% surely deserves some protection ?

In the UK at least the octopus is treated as an honoury vertebrate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

c_man wrote: »
    How many chimps fought against the Black and Tans?

Photos

paddyandy wrote: »
    Chimpanzees are far superior to Humans in every way except in thought.In fact all animals are.
    Humans have a niche.

We are the predators who can chase down prey on the savannah to exhaustion during the hottest part of the day.

And we can climb trees, swim across rivers, throw things and use sticks to beat you up, and some of us can remember where the water hole that didn't dry up in the drought 50 years ago is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A trifling difference when you think about it.

• Advertisement

In fairness we only recently gave rights to some humans so recognising who or what deserves rights can take time.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Its definatly much more than four times stronger than us as results of the previous studies indicate. In fact I would say 6 or 7 times our strenght.

I remember them saying 5 times and are capable of ripping a limb off a body, I was a bit taken aback, because they certainly don't look it. The expert was saying once they get aggressive we basically have no defence, no-one or group could stop them from doing whatever they wanted,, unless armed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

open the cages

let them sign on

see if they spend the cash on bananas or drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Again, you are obviously not familiar with Planet of the Apes... :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Human rights ?
    Too much trouble in the future, bit like giving women the vote.

The whole Animal World would (if it could understand) Laugh at the Olympic Games .The mere concept is totally ridiculous.Intellectually of course the Human wins every time.

The whole Animal World would (if it could understand) Laugh at the Olympic Games .The mere concept is totally ridiculous.Intellectually of course the Human wins every time.
    We'd still do well in the events that need equipment

throwing events, cycling, rowing , the ball games,
    most of the winter olympics

and on very hot days we'd still do well in the marathons

we're still the only animals that can swim a river, climb a tree, run twenty miles and throw stones at you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Chimps are nasty little violent fcukers. I hope we drop an atomic bomb on them.

Humans are nasty little violent fcukers. I hope we drop an atomic bomb on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Has anyone asked yet if humans should be given chimp rights?

I wanna sit around rubbing my hole off the ground having sex every five minutes with other members of the tribe as a matter of course and throwing excrement at nosey tourists while getting fed ad lib with bananas and orange peel and other delicious fruity treats.

ah ****...post #12

We'd still do well in the events that need equipment

throwing events, cycling, rowing , the ball games,
    most of the winter olympics

and on very hot days we'd still do well in the marathons

we're still the only animals that can swim a river, climb a tree, run twenty miles and throw stones at you

That is only the intellect at work with PUNY resources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ontological Epistemologist

hoorsmelt wrote: »
    I think so, they are 99% the same as us. In some places, they wanna give Orangutans special rights, I applaud them and think we should go one step forward.

To give the chimpanzee rights is to conversely bestow responsibilities upon him. Do we arrest the animal when he assaults or takes that which does not belong to him? Do we imprison him, is this a worthy consideration? To give the ape its legal rights is to enforce the concept of responsibilities on the creature. He will most likely steal and assault, to that which he is accustomed to in the wild and will therefore be incarcerated eternally, or from our perspective of life and our time here, eternally.

Do we give the monkey responsibilities too, that is perhaps the more perplexing issue at hand here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

To give the chimpanzee rights is to conversely bestow responsibilities upon him. Do we arrest the animal when he assaults or takes that which does not belong to him? Do we imprison him, is this a worthy consideration? To give the ape its legal rights is to enforce the concept of responsibilities on the creature. He will most likely steal and assault, to that which he is accustomed to in the wild and will therefore be incarcerated eternally, or from our perspective of life and our time here, eternally.

Do we give the monkey responsibilities too, that is perhaps the more perplexing issue at hand here.
    We can attach zapping ankle bracelets to them, so whenever they break the law they can be given a zap to teach them right from wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

One of them could be my butler...nothing perplexing there

I pay two banana a day and I expect the utmost professionalism and discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnny D. Mudd

I'd only approve if we could dress them up in suits and have one run for President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Sure, once they start paying rent for the land they live on and a license for the hunting they do.

And don't forget being charged with assault or murder when they perform an act of violence.

No its not really. We have ethical protection laws that roughly equate some degree of protection to the more intelligent animals. The great ape project wants them to have protection of life, freedom and protection from torture. The law being proposed will take into account limited responsibility based on their lack of understanding of human concepts. Apes are very closely related to us it doesnt make sense not to give them enhanced legal protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BooShank

Are we in international waters???

Monkey knife fight FTW

Advertisement