Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of return flights?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

So we're booking our flights tomorrow to Aus for February (one way).
    We're going on a WHV with the hope to extend our stay by doing the 3 month regional work or possibly getting sponsored.
    But, my boyfriend was speaking to someone yesterday who said upon arrival in Australia proof of return flights is necessary?
    Is this the case? I have done a lot of research and from what I have gathered if we have proof of a bank account with 5000 AUSD we will be ok and immigration officials will be happy with that and return fligts aren't necessary? Do you think we need return flights or will having the money in our accounts be enough?
    Thanks in advance for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

From reading on here, they hardly/never check both of those things. So you should be fine.

I'm going in January and I have a 1 way ticket as well.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

You'll be fine. If you look really dodgy (ie homeless) they might ask you about funds but the vast majority of people breeze through without any queries at all from immigration. In the scheme of things the WHV is pretty low risk in illegal immigration terms and they treat it as such...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Great guys, thanks a mill :) Just wanted to be sure ya know! I don't look dodgy (I hope :p) so all should be ok!! Haha

Who you flying with dazftw?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

i just arrived with 1500 ozzie dollars and i breezed through immigration they dont care about the money if your on a whv in my opinion i was also on a one way ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

danotroy wrote: »
    i just arrived with 1500 ozzie dollars and i breezed through immigration they dont care about the money if your on a whv in my opinion i was also on a one way ticket

Thanks danotroy :)
    Who did you fly with, how did you find them?
    And just 1500?! Has that lasted you long? Or did you have work lined up over there before you went?
    I'm hoping to have just over 5K.. Just incase work doesn't show up etc :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I came to Perth on one way ticket, never was asked about it.
    Looking back i do regret not booking a return ticket, just something to think about OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I'm flying with Malaysian Airways.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote: »
    I'm flying with Malaysian Airways.
    I flew with them, they not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its not that they dont ever check. Having a return ticket isn't a requirement. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭MelbourneDub

STIG83 wrote: »
    Looking back i do regret not booking a return ticket, just something to think about OP.

Hey,

Just to add my two cents on a return ticket...

I have a return ticket bought at a considerably reduced rate (there was a sale on) through a local dublin agent to fly with an Aussie Airline. At the time of booking I wasn't sure which airport I would be near or even which part of Australia I would even be living in when it came to going home time. Things can change very quickly when you end up living in a place that doesn't live up to you're expectations (*cough Perth).

Anyway it turns out I'm flying home from a different airport than the one booked originally on my ticket and guess what.... It cannot be changed by the airline at all and only by the booking agent. The cheapest quote I got from the agent was about 500 euro plus! I'm flying in late Nov early Dec!

So basicially (to get home at an affordable price) I have to get a domestic flight all the way across Australia just to connect with the original departure destination on the ticket.

After a few calls to the airline, they cannot physcially change the departure destination (for any price) but the agent can for a huge fare as well as change fees! (well I think it's down to the fact of them actually finding you a matching fare and the closest to mine was original +500 euro plus!)

So the moral of the story is... think carefully about where you will actually be when you do end up flying home from OZ because the fare rules (especially with the cheaper tickets) are extremely strict. Date changes can be done at a price but destination changes are difficult!

• Advertisement

^^ good point!!

lippy11 wrote: »
    Thanks danotroy :)
    Who did you fly with, how did you find them?
    And just 1500?! Has that lasted you long? Or did you have work lined up over there before you went?
    I'm hoping to have just over 5K.. Just incase work doesn't show up etc :rolleyes:

i flew with singapore airlines and they were top notch the grab wanst great but what do you expect. 1500 dollars is more than enough people on here will say it isnt but i arrived and stayed with a mate for the first week i ended up on a bender and spent 900 dollars on booze and eating out now ive moved to a hostel which ive paid a week up front for 140. food for the 4 days 75 dollars. now i got a job on the first day of hunting. nothing great a bar job to be specific not great pay but 40 hours which will pay 700 dollars a week. 2 days off a week to hunt for a proper job so anyone that comes with 5000 has it easy too easy if you ask me. also dont know if anyone on here has suggested this but http://www.roommatefinder.com.au/ is great i found a great room in elwood but decided to move to a hostel as i wanted to make friends in a hostel before i settle.

lippy11 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

So we're booking our flights tomorrow to Aus for February (one way).
    We're going on a WHV with the hope to extend our stay by doing the 3 month regional work or possibly getting sponsored.
    But, my boyfriend was speaking to someone yesterday who said upon arrival in Australia proof of return flights is necessary?
    Is this the case? I have done a lot of research and from what I have gathered if we have proof of a bank account with 5000 AUSD we will be ok and immigration officials will be happy with that and return fligts aren't necessary? Do you think we need return flights or will having the money in our accounts be enough?
    Thanks in advance for your help :)

what i did to get round the 5000 dollar rule was borrow 4 k off my mother put it in my account and print a statement the day before i left then took the money out and gave it back to my mother so if they asked i had a statement from the last 36hrs with the required amount on it. as it turns out the guy at the counter said your the first today irish today congratulations never even asked anything.

Advertisement