Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Mathsy Programming"

Options
  • 24-11-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

As much as I like web development and the prospects that come with it, I would like to challenge myself in a programming job that requires some maths skills.

Where are those kinds of jobs? I'm thinking that it's mostly in research.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Game development is mathsy, working in finance is mathsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Many aspects of videogame development, financial stuff, in particular quantitative analysis and anything that involves writing software for the various Engineering disciplines. There's a lot going on with image processing and recognition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

There seems to be a trend of mathsy areas coming into web applications more than ever before. Things like Big Data, recommendation/matching algorithms and maybe even distributed computing (though to a lesser extent). You might not being doing any web development in these positions, but it does show that maths is not just limited to academia/research. There is also a lot of areas that aren't fundamentally maths but where it the skills can be very useful (i.e. statistical reasoning and problem solving).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Digital signal processing is a relatively new field that's quite cool and contains a lot of different elements (maths is a big one). Anything from music technology, video game sound engines, image processing (video or still image) and plenty more obscure stuff.

All of that is a mix of low and high level programming. Performance is often very important and interface is as well so you get a good balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I'd second software for engineering solutions. I'm currently working in this area and things like system modelling and control, data prediction and statistics seem to be the order of the day. Although I'm not involved with it I would imagine simulation would also be a big area as well in this niche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

The canvas feature in HTML5 is apparently the way forward in browser gaming along with javascript. That wouldn't be a drastic change but would open the door for you to express your interest in maths/physics. Knock out the next angry birds and live the good life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Cryptography is another area for mathsy stuff :D I spent 4 years implementing crypto in assembly and learnt a huge amount about finite fields

Advertisement