Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Liffey so high?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

My DH just sent me a photo that he took on his phone of the Liffey. To me it seems incredibly high - just under the boardwalk.

Is it usually that high or is something going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 downsouth

Spidermany wrote: »
    My DH just sent me a photo that he took on his phone of the Liffey. To me it seems incredibly high.

Can you add the photo here?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

High spring tide (4.2m) at 10.11 today - that would explain it.....

ETA - I'd love to see the pic as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Spidermany wrote: »
    My DH just sent me a photo that he took on his phone of the Liffey. To me it seems incredibly high - just under the boardwalk.

Everybody on the boardwalk is incredibly high.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Spring tide
    Spring Tides
    When the moon is full or new, the gravitational pull of the moon and sun are combined. At these times, the high tides are very high and the low tides are very low. This is known as a spring high tide. Spring tides are especially strong tides (they do not have anything to do with the season Spring). They occur when the Earth, the Sun, and the Moon are in a line. The gravitational forces of the Moon and the Sun both contribute to the tides. Spring tides occur during the full moon and the new moon.

It will be high for the next few days with Saturday and Sunday being the highest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Spring tide

It will be high for the next few days with Saturday and Sunday being the highest.

SCIENCE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

I thought about Spring Tides but assumed that they only happened in springtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

A Spring Tide happens twice a month:
    645px-Tide_schematic.svg.png.
    We're shortly before the new moon phase at the moment (if you look at the moon, you can see just a thin crescent, and not much else), so the tide range will be wider and wider until the weekend, and then start to get smaller and smaller.

Tons of interesting weather/wind/tidal information (for those so inclined, including me!) to be found on www.dlharbour.ie.

Next new moon is tomorrow, so that will be the highest tide until the full moon in 15 days time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Tons of interesting weather/wind/tidal information (for those so inclined, including me!) to be found on www.dlharbour.ie.

Next new moon is tomorrow, so that will be the highest tide until the full moon in 15 days time.

Yes and no, new moon tomorrow alright, but highest tide is still on Saturday @ 1142 (4.32m) :p.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Yes and no, new moon tomorrow alright, but highest tide is still on Saturday @ 1142 (4.32m) :p.

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0615&PredictionLength=4

and tommorrow ;)

ETA - ah, you have one more decimal place than me....

• Advertisement
Advertisement