Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egg Yolks

Options
  • 24-11-2011 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm going to be making a meringue on Saturday and I'm looking for something to do with the egg yolks afterwards? Waste not, want not and all of that! Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Have salmon and do a Hollandaise sauce.

Or chocolate mousse.

Or browse here! http://www.squidoo.com/eggyolkuses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

custard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

They'll keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Make proper carbonara for dinner.

Alternatively, they're really good for conditioning long hair - whisk, slather onto damp hair, leave for ten minutes, then rinse with cool water.

Or, if you have a dog, mix a yolk into his dinner every night til they're gone, it's really good for their coat.

Dogs can also eat egg shells, they're full of calcium.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sakani

Lemon meringue pie... or just the lemon curd and it can be stored in the fridge for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm going to be making a meringue on Saturday and I'm looking for something to do with the egg yolks afterwards? Waste not, want not and all of that! Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Mayonnaise or an ommlette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have experimented a lot recently with using up egg yolks.

Lemon curd can be made with a number of yolks, once you add one full egg.
    It doesn't seem to work with only yolks.

I find an omelette with only yolks too "eggy" for me, but others might like it.

If you have loads, You can freeze them, but defrosting is a bit tricky, it needs to be done slowly
    at room temperature. You are supposed to break up the yolk with a fork and add a pinch of salt before freezing. If you freeze them in ice cube cartons, you can defrost them individually to add to batter, omelettes, scrambled eggs over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Agree with the lemon curd idea, I have had success with 4 egg yolks and 1 whole egg, had enough to share, some for eating on scones and to make a lemon ice terrine (handy way to use up any meringue that is left over or broken!). Whip cream, mix through lemon curd and broken-up meringue (not crushed), tip into lined loaf tin and freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Lemon Curd sounds like a plan :D Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Ice cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

add them to a brownie mix for extra richness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Carbonara

Advertisement