Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What outraged you today?

• 24-11-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

What have you read in the media that has no direct impact on your life and you wouldn't have otherwise known about it in the slightest bar the media trolling you that has outraged you today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Not today but reading about Brian Cowen getting circa €150k per annum pension despite being just 51.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i dont really tend to get outraged on a daily basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Not being listened to by people who are paid to listen.

Edit: Oh I see that you mean in the media. Well nothing yet then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'm still young and carefree, I'm not outraged at anything.

<continues my 'ignorance is bliss\deny everything' attitude>

Not being listened to by people who are paid to listen.

WHAT?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Not today but reading about Brian Cowen getting circa €150k per annum pension despite being just 51.

Somewhat Cowen related: http://www.independent.ie/business/european/decision-to-nationalise-anglo-irish-triggered-euro-crisis-2944555.html
    THE decision by Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan to nationalise Anglo Irish Bank was the trigger for the global financial crisis, two well-respected International Monetary Fund (IMF) economists said in a report.

A study of data such as bond yields suggests that it was the decision to take the insolvent bank into state control four months after the collapse of Lehman Brothers that turned the world's financial problems into a full-blown crisis, claim Ashoka Mody and Sandri Damiano.

"The relevance of Anglo is, at first, not obvious, since it was a small bank in a relatively small country," the two IMF researchers say. "However, the data quite robustly suggests a break at this point."

Most Irish officials still defend the decision, arguing that the collapse of Anglo would have led to the collapse of Allied Irish Banks and Bank of Ireland as well.

A report by Central Bank governor Patrick Honohan last year also concluded that the decision to nationalise Anglo was the right one because of the dangers posed to the main lenders.

The IMF economists believe that the large cost of rescuing the bank relative to Ireland's economic output raised serious concerns about the wider economy; a banking problem had become the State's problem.

The projected cost of rescuing Anglo is €34bn -- although the figure could be lower.

"Suddenly, the ability of the sovereigns (governments) to support the financial sector came into question," write Mr Mody and Mr Damiano.

"The worrying news a few months later about Greece's fiscal imbalances confirmed that the eurozone crisis had evolved from a banking crisis into a sovereign crisis."

Policy

The two economists say Anglo Irish should have been slowly closed down rather than nationalised. This is now Government policy but many attempts were made to keep Anglo going before the policy changed.

Mr Lenihan argued in 2010 that it would have cost more to close the bank and than keep it open.

Mr Mody, an economist who escaped a bizarre assasination attempt at his home near Washington DC when Dominique Strauss-Khan was head of the IMF, knows Ireland well and was a member of the IMF team that came here in the wake of last year's bailout.

He was also assistant director in the IMF's European Department -- although the opinions expressed in the research paper are not official IMF views.

Not all European bank rescues were wrong, the researchers add. Most banks were in a better position than Anglo and some governments had more money which allowed them to rescue their lenders.

In future, governments need to better distinguish between banks that are worth saving and banks that should be closed, they write. "A more resolute strategy for winding down banks is also needed."

Rescuing banks such as Anglo created a vicious circle for governments because the value of state bonds often fell after the government took the risk of saving a lender. Banks are the biggest owners of government bonds which meant that the banks lost money as government bonds slumped.

"At this point, the sovereign and banks were joined at the hip, with their respective weaknesses threatening to reinforce each other," they add.

IF true - once again say "Thank you FF" (sarcastically) then promise never to let then into power again!
    The above being one more reason why, amid many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

chin_grin wrote: »
    WHAT?

Oh nothing.
    Just the stupid hse.
    They are paid to help, but they are not helping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm still young and carefree, I'm not outraged at anything.

Really??? You seemed to get yourself worked up into a bit of an angry state about anything Christmas related!

Oh nothing.
    Just the stupid hse. They are paid to help, but they are not helping.

Ooooh, um. Tsssss. How do I react to that without opening that can......Um. <waves white flag>.
    kfallon wrote: »
    Really??? You seemed to get yourself worked up into a bit of an angry state about anything Christmas related!

NO U!

Oh. Well, not just Christmas related! Don't pigeon-hole me!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ForgottenCandy

Watching and reading news which shows the atrocities done by other people upsets me, which is pretty much shown everyday so there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I saw someone say this today.
    She deserved it really, taking part in such a protest will get you any punishment you deserve

This was about the 84 year old woman in Seattle who was walking past the Occupy Seattle protest, decided to briefly join them (as she was on her way to another meeting), and was then sprayed directly in the face from point blank range with Pepper spray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Opens daily mail :(:mad::eek::mad::mad::confused::eek:

Watching and reading news which shows the atrocities done by other people upsets me, which is pretty much shown everyday so there.

You want to be happy? Don't read\watch the news. Really depressing. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Biggins wrote: »
    Somewhat Cowen related: http://www.independent.ie/business/european/decision-to-nationalise-anglo-irish-triggered-euro-crisis-2944555.html

IF true - once again say "Thank you FF" (sarcastically) then promise never to let then into power again!
    The above being one more reason why, amid many.
    that actually put a smile on my face, i dont know why...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This thread that is trying to get me outraged :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm still young and carefree, I'm not outraged at anything.?

You've been in your flowers a bit recently.

Like a dose of discursive PMT or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I got into gang warfare and i was shot 50 times in the chest by a 65 yo romanian paraplegic, bad times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

that actually put a smile on my face, i dont know why...

The drugs are working maybe a bit too much? :D

stovelid wrote: »
    You've been in your flowers a bit recently.

Like a dose of discursive PMT or something.

The tampons, they do naaaaaaaaaaaaaathing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The tampons, they do naaaaaaaaaaaaaathing!

Upgrade to pillows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

An australian going on about the fact they have unlimited coal, For christ sakes people how can you have an unlimited fossil fuel

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Upgrade to pillows.

How wide do you think me floss.............oh. I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

FatherLen wrote: »
    i dont really tend to get outraged on a daily basis
    Me neither. Nothing really bothers me enough to get all worked up about. There's little point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I read last night that Michigan passed a law that basically said bullying in school is allowed if a teacher can see a religious or moral reason for the bully doing so......

AMERICA IS FCUKING NUTS!!

John Doe1 wrote: »

Just but the text after the v= in the youtube tags.

So.

youtube YBCq8XDgrP0 /youtube (without the square brackets).

Advertisement