Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVI to VGA. Is it possible?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I did a quick search and saw some DVI to VGA cables and adaptors around. What do these cables do? I imagine a cable itself can't convert a digital signal into analogue. And if they can't are there any solutions to connecting a DVI out to a VGA input on a monitor? I have 2 monitors, one 17 inch with DVI input and one 19 inch with VGA input. I would prefer to use the 19 inch and was wondering if there was any way of connecting it up to a DVI output. Also if there are any ways of doing it how much roughly would i expect to be paying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Not all DVI connectors are the same .

There are three types -
    DVI-D (digital only, both single-link and dual-link)
    DVI-A (analog only)
    DVI-I (integrated – digital and analog)

To connect from a DVI to a VGA socket your graphics card DVI connector needs to be either DVI-A or DVI-I .

It all depends on the graphics card you have .

What's your graphics card ?

My two graphics cards both have DVI-I , and I was able to use a DVI to VGA adapter , until I upgraded to a DVI capable monitor .

Here's some info for you -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector
    There's a diagram on the left of that page showing the different types of DVI sockets .

Hope this helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Walnutcracker

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Not all DVI connectors are the same .

There are three types -
    DVI-D (digital only, both single-link and dual-link)
    DVI-A (analog only)
    DVI-I (integrated – digital and analog)

To connect from a DVI to a VGA socket your graphics card DVI connector needs to be either DVI-A or DVI-I .

It all depends on the graphics card you have .

What's your graphics card ?

My two graphics cards both have DVI-I , and I was able to use a DVI to VGA adapter , until I upgraded to a DVI capable monitor .

Here's some info for you -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector
    There's a diagram on the left of that page showing the different types of DVI sockets .

Hope this helps .

The graphics card has a DVI-I (dual link) output. So if i to get a DVI-I to VGA adapter i should have no problems? Where could i get one for a reasonable price?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Ebay is probably the cheapest -

Here's a seller in Cork with 99% positive feedback (I've never bought from them , I just did a quick search ) Works out at under €3 including postage .
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DVI-I-24-5-PIN-MALE-VGA-FEMALE-CONVERTER-ADAPTER-/280607713716?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item415585e9b4

PC World / Maplin /Peats etc charge €10 for the same item .

Advertisement