Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to Talk to Girls about Puberty??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

while I was driving her to a music lesson she asked if the next time her father and I had sex could she watch so she could see how it was done as she wasn't quite clear on the details. Almost immediately, before I could come up with an answer, she then said that no, she didn't think think she'd like to after all. It would be icky. I loved the innocence of it. :pac:
    Ha ha! I wonder if she'll remember that one when she's older... *cringe* :P

My parents told me about sex when I was pretty young - about 6 or 7 I think. I wasn't traumatised or ever felt afterwards that I'd "lost my innocence" too early. I think it's better to be open and honest, rather than avoiding the issue when it comes up.

Better kids hear about it from their parents, than in the school yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

mky17 wrote: »
    Yeah but she is only in 2nd Class!! surely thats too young....dont know if she could grasp periods etc...

I bet she could - my periods started at nine and I wasn't that far infront of several of my friends.

TBH, I don't think there is a specific date/age that sex education and talks about periods should suddenly start - it should be gradual process filling in the blanks in an age-appropriate manner as your child gets older and starts asking questions about bodies and sex. I don't remember ever not knowing about periods and sex, I asked questions/things were explained when my mum was buying tampons, a friend's mum was pregnant, we visited a farm and the cows were giving each other piggy backs, etc, etc, as we went along.

If your child is starting to show signs of puberty and natural curiosity hasn't broached the issue, then perhaps get an age appropriate book and read it together, answering any questions she may have as you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Be||e wrote: »
    Ha ha! I wonder if she'll remember that one when she's older... *cringe* :P

She is older now and hates me recounting that story. She'd murder me if she knew I'd posted it. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mky17

Thanks for all the replies! - I have spoken to her in a simlple way about becoming a woman! and what changes are happening now and what will happen and also to boys during puberty and touched on periods slightly just in case somethings happens and told her that all these other changes will happen first and then we will speak more on periods then! Hopefully she wont go telling all at school!

Thanks again all

She took to it very well.....i think

Advertisement