Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moneyball(movie content)

• 24-11-2011 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Following on from discussion in another thread ,Movie adaptation of the book is on general release in Ireland,something I didn't think I would see. Opens this friday(25th)

featuring the Oakland Athletics the movie focuses on the effects of statistics,Saber feature a bit on here, on modern baseball.
    While not specifically a baseball movie its more akin to the Social Network. So partners not as stoked on baseball can be brought to this and enjoy it...hopefully.

Just thought I'd post up here for anyone who would want a heads up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

the thing about the movie i think is that there gonna have to make it friendly for the non baseball public which means they'll change everything.

I expect it to be rubbish but i cant wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Crucial Youth

According to reviews I've read its exactly like the Social Network in the way that movie wasn't totally about some mouth breathers in computers.

But yes I'm looking forward to it too :)

Thoughts on Brad Pitt as Billy Beane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'll probably see it at some stage and leave the baseball fan part of me at home as I've read the truth is stretched at times and facts that would get in the way of the plot pushed to the side. But you're always going to get that in sports films based on reality so if you can blank those, it's probably an enjoyable film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Thoughts on Brad Pitt as Billy Beane?
    The guy who does the movies segment on The Right Hook radio show says he will probably get an Oscar nomination for his performance...

I will read the book before I watch the film. Have been meaning to read it for years so I'm gonna have to put it on my Christmas list this year to make sure I get it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

see unless they do fancy camera tricks making him look like a beast of a man i'm unsure about Brad Pitt. I hope he can pull off the crazy insecure neurotic aspect of beane cos that will look amazing done correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

I liked it, thought it was a decent portrayal of Beane, they link flash backs quite well and all round thought it was a very solid film. It is played down in parts for those who don't follow baseball but you'll have that for a internationally released film. Well worth the watch for any Baseball fan.

Iang87 wrote: »
    see unless they do fancy camera tricks making him look like a beast of a man i'm unsure about Brad Pitt. I hope he can pull off the crazy insecure neurotic aspect of beane cos that will look amazing done correctly
    Pitt is capable of acting up a storm given the right script and Sorkin can deliver gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Watched it this afternoon. It's good but a little too long I think. I can't see non-baseball fans liking it though. There's a lot of baseball talk in it which while it doesn't make the storyline difficult to follow, it might bore people who have no interest in baseball.

At the end (and I don't think I'll be ruining if for anyone who reads baseball threads by saying this) they say the Boston Red Sox won the WS in 2004 following Billy Beane's philosophy. They neglect to tell us that they had Curt Shilling and Pedro Martinez pitching which definitely had more of an impact than the offence's OBP!

Going to see this tonight. Got fifteen foam fingers with me and all.

Wait!no I'm not.
    apparently everyone in Dublin wants to see this movie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement