Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Weather Station

Options
  • 24-11-2011 1:34pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've seen plenty of these before ranging from simple temperature and pressure up to wind, and rain sensors.

Are they worth it, any ones in particular worth looking at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

We already have a good thread on this very subject. Lots of great info in it to digest and it should not be too deep as it gets updates frequently.

Short answer, if you are serious about your weather then you need to buy a professional kit, for about €500 all in [as a starter kit].

Go to the Argos site and sample the weather furniture and read the reviews. Most table top stations with outside sensors are primarily designed as household objects rather than as scientific instruments.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Cheers ill dig that out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

The wireless sensor on my toy has died, and I can't seem to find a replacement for it at a reasonable price. Was looking around some of the threads above, and saw the WH3080 for eur114. Am tempted to get this, but I don't know how useful it will be; the garden is small, and although reasonably open, it has trees, houses etc around. I'm not in a position to mount the anemometer/wind vane on the chimney or anything (rented house). The garden is like this
    am9mqw.jpg
    4hb6o6.jpg

Although I suppose if the Euro survives and I buy a place of my own then I'd maybe in a better position.

I'm never going to get into any sort of forecasting, I'd be more using it just for curiosity (and to check how many layers I need to wear without going outside!)

Is this thing overkill for what I want? If so can someone recommend something a bit more suitable?

And if this is NOT overkill, can anyone please tell me the pros/cons of the one listed above compared to say this ws2350.

Thanks!
    Kenmc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

first one has a light level sensor (only difference imo)

as to siting you have what you havem, my wind sensor is in a fairly sheltered spot so it always undereads (if its hitting 40+kmh its pretty windy )

but not too worried in all honesty just doing it for my own interest

(i upload to my website see mysig)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=220865

Bought this on sale in Maplin for around 55-60 euro, was looking for something with a PC link but the price would have doubled so I checked the reviews on this one and bit the bullet.

I love it! I'm in no position at the moment to be spending a small fortune on a more professional weather station, but I'm glad I bought this, perfect for the back garden, and seems to be quite accurate when I compare it to Shannon readings, my closest proper station.

Just need the cold to really test it!! :)

I like the idea of being able to connect it to a PC to archive the data. So on the maplin site I saw this:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-touchscreen-wireless-weather-forecaster-228825
    how would this compare to the others?
    Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=220865

Bought this on sale in Maplin for around 55-60 euro, was looking for something with a PC link but the price would have doubled so I checked the reviews on this one and bit the bullet.

I love it! I'm in no position at the moment to be spending a small fortune on a more professional weather station, but I'm glad I bought this, perfect for the back garden, and seems to be quite accurate when I compare it to Shannon readings, my closest proper station.

Just need the cold to really test it!! :)

+1
    I have this one too , its basic but does what I need for the price. Maybe next year Ill upgrade to a better one with Pc link up

kenmc wrote: »
    I like the idea of being able to connect it to a PC to archive the data. So on the maplin site I saw this:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-touchscreen-wireless-weather-forecaster-228825 how would this compare to the others? Ken

They are all essentially the same, I have this one branded as a WH181, this model should have a few tweaks made to it by now, and at the price, I think it's good, I paid just shy of €200 in Maplin in Cork just 12 months ago.

This model and the first one you linked to, WH3080, has everything on a nice mounting pole so you can just stick it in the middle of the garden until you sort out a location and mount a bigger pole for it.

My one suffers from spikes, a passing Taxi or Garda car can set off wind or temperature alarms :) and my temperature needs adjusting via the software as I read quite high in the warm days and quite low on the colder events.

Wind mine is just ten feet off the ground and I'm still trying to gauge it, it seems to be under but graphs follow the basic high and lows. Wind direction is a mess though, it's just too close to the ground and the sensor itself is not accurate enough for a lofty position anyway. I've recently mounted a wind sock to check the direction that it is showing and it agrees ~ but prevailing winds on any given day seeming come to my WS from a different angle.

Rain: now here all these buckets are very poor and they will need a bit of attention. In the beginning I found mine too tight so it wouldn't tip and then loosened out too much and would tip in the wind and then the spiders just loved it and they gum it up regularly. After my last maintenance I sprayed the whole inside with silicone and very finely sanded the floor as the tipper has dug a trench in the base and it would just tip and stick. Since then though, it has behaved and I'm finally getting some readings that I can compare.

I actually like the look of mine too. I like the Anemometer and the Wind Vane separate.

The touch screen: My model is two models behind the N96GY and they have said they have made improvements to the screen, I've mine mounted high on a wall to get reception and I can't see it. The touch screen membrane is just too thick. I don't use the touch screen

Mine is permanently attached to a USB hub to my PC. The basic software is not too bad but we enter a whole different world here.

gbee wrote: »

My one suffers from spikes, a passing Taxi or Garda car can set off wind or temperature alarms :) and my temperature needs adjusting via the software as I read quite high in the warm days and quite low on the colder events.

Wind mine is just ten feet off the ground and I'm still trying to gauge it, it seems to be under but graphs follow the basic high and lows. Wind direction is a mess though, it's just too close to the ground and the sensor itself is not accurate enough for a lofty position anyway. I've recently mounted a wind sock to check the direction that it is showing and it agrees ~ but prevailing winds on any given day seeming come to my WS from a different angle.

Rain: now here all these buckets are very poor and they will need a bit of attention. In the beginning I found mine too tight so it wouldn't tip and then loosened out too much and would tip in the wind and then the spiders just loved it and they gum it up regularly. After my last maintenance I sprayed the whole inside with silicone and very finely sanded the floor as the tipper has dug a trench in the base and it would just tip and stick. Since then though, it has behaved and I'm finally getting some readings that I can compare.

What I get from the above though is that it's not really very accurate at all - spikes from passing RF interference, sticky rainbuckets, and inaccuate wind gauge (which I can accept, as obviously the placement of the sensor is important) - so I'm beginning to wonder if there's much point at all, am I better off just sticking my nose out the door?

• Advertisement

What I get from the above though is that it's not really very accurate at all -

But one needs to consider the price and at current prices they'd not be too bad at all.

Accuracy comes at a price initially, the Davis Vantage Vue @ approx €400 plus installation

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Davis-Vantage-Vue-Weather-Station/dp/B003YUBOQC

Accuracy also has physical factors, if your site is not a good one, then a better machine is wasted anyway. And finally, one must not forget the education factor value. I've been happy out over time ~ not initially too impressed and I had felt I had wasted my money, but the understanding of the weather phenomena has been greatly facilitated by my WS.

Back again with more questions :o)
    Am thinking of getting the maplin one fo £70, can get it delivered to belfast for free, so comes in around 80 euro or so, maybe a little more.
    The questions I have though are ;
    1) Is it possible to only set up say the thermomemeter and rain gauge, but not mount the wind speed/direction sensors at the same time (just thinking that cos of where I'd be able to place it, they'd be not very accurate)
    2) How do you stop birds landing on the sensors? Or is this not really an issue? Reason I ask is that I have 2 bird feeders in the back garden and they tend to perch on top of the feeders, so am hoping they won't do the same to the weather sensors.
    Thanks
    K

Back again with more questions :o) K

When it goes up first they think it is another perch. But a little wind will keep the anemometer and wind vane moving so it's only the larger crows that occasionally try and land on calm days.

You might as well set it all up, you get a good length of cable to facilitate a variety of mounting options.

ordered. too late now :)
    better come before the snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Do you have a Link for the one you ordered? I might have the same as you If you need any help setting it up.
    Its very straight forward

Do you have a Link for the one you ordered? I might have the same as you If you need any help setting it up.
    Its very straight forward

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-touchscreen-wireless-weather-forecaster-228825

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

I got a mickey mouse wireless weather station for £4.99 from play.com on one day only deal. Gives me outside temp - inside temp and weather for 24 hours ahead. All I need lol:D

http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/24317045/-/Product.html

i got something similar last xmas as a present. the outside sensor stopped working, and it was looking like around 25 euro or something to get a replacement from the only place i could find. feck that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tphase

rilz wrote: »
    I got a mickey mouse wireless weather station for £4.99 from play.com on one day only deal. Gives me outside temp - inside temp and weather for 24 hours ahead. All I need lol:D

http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/24317045/-/Product.html

nice bargain, looks similar to this without the solar changer
    http://uk.oregonscientific.com/cat-Weather-sub-ECO---Solar-prod--ECO-Solar-Charging-Weather-Station.html#
    picked one up at tkmax for E35 recently

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

tphase wrote: »
    nice bargain, looks similar to this without the solar changer
    http://uk.oregonscientific.com/cat-Weather-sub-ECO---Solar-prod--ECO-Solar-Charging-Weather-Station.html#
    picked one up at tkmax for E35 recently

Looks quite alike. Have been reading more into it. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Are there any stations that you could have report to your ipad (or similar)? I know you can get some that will link to your pc, and many that have there own console, but is there one that will feed from your mac to ipad nice and neatly?

alfalad wrote: »
    but is there one that will feed from your mac to ipad nice and neatly?

Whilst one can never say no, the facility for WiFi is not supported on many, perhaps most weather stations, in fact USB is still considered cutting edge, some of the professional software weather support writers still don't support USB.

It's that kind of market. Most will allow updating to the web and from here you can arrange a report to be sent to your iPhone/Pad etc.

Yeah there's probably nothing to stop you writing an app to pull the data from the head unit and send it (email, website, sms etc) to your handheld. That's what I'll probably (slowly) do for mine, so I can leave the headunit plugged into the media server downstairs and I can see the data on my phone from the comfort of my bed :)

Of course that might well change when I get my new toy; currently in the belfast office, hoping to have it by Thursday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

I was n galway 2day,went into malpins and spotted a home weather station for sale, its the same one that was mentioned earlier n this thread. The missus was with me and she suggested getting it for me as a xmas present .I wasnt going to say no so we head home later n the day with me planning to set it up for the upcomming storms:D.But no, She had other ideas.Shes just gone and hid the fecking thing on me now till xmas morning. We are currently not speaking:mad::mad::mad:N25FR_group_clip.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I'm not sure how good a rain gauge is at recording snow!

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I'm not sure how good a rain gauge is at recording snow!

twas more about the snow delaying delivery

ot speaking:mad::mad::mad]

Weather is fickle, there is always another storm. Love like you have, well that's worth nurturing. See you Christmas Day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Yeah there's probably nothing to stop you writing an app to pull the data from the head unit and send it (email, website, sms etc) to your handheld. That's what I'll probably (slowly) do for mine, so I can leave the headunit plugged into the media server downstairs and I can see the data on my phone from the comfort of my bed :)

Of course that might well change when I get my new toy; currently in the belfast office, hoping to have it by Thursday :D

Your assuming I can write an app! It was more a case of most units or even computer programes seem to be quiet dated looking. Something that looked a bit more user friendly and could be easily hooked to a computer and therefore wifi I would have thought would be jumped at by station makers. The Oregon Scentific look quite good and if they were to make a version that would report to your own hand held device that would be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

I was n galway 2day,went into malpins and spotted a home weather station for sale, its the same one that was mentioned earlier n this thread. The missus was with me and she suggested getting it for me as a xmas present .I wasnt going to say no so we head home later n the day with me planning to set it up for the upcomming storms:D.But no, She had other ideas.Shes just gone and hid the fecking thing on me now till xmas morning. We are currently not speaking:mad::mad::mad:N25FR_group_clip.jpg

Be warned, this is the one I have, and I tend to carry it around from room to room just in case I miss something... the wife just laughs at me! :o

• Advertisement

Be warned, .. the wife just laughs at me! :o

So did mine, do did my wife, but now she's doing most of the reading and running in for the handheld anemometer and questioning why the rain alarm is not sounding and she has completely stolen my first scanner for a good while my now and my best receiver for broadcast radio.

Let her laugh I say.

Advertisement