Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Weather Station

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Picked up a WS1080 as a starter kit into what I hope is a fascinating hobby.
    All working well and enjoying it thus far. :)

Have a question regarding my set-up however.
    I placed both the outdoor sensors module(s) and receiver (all connected up) on the back wall for 2Hrs tonight to make sure the bits were all sending info, when I came back to it the 'in' temp was reading 12.1c but the 'out' temp showed 11.0c .
    Seeing as they were beside each other for that amount of time should they not read about the same temps? Also if one is wrong, witch one is it?

Look forward to mounting it up on a pole and submitting data! Using Cumulus software as it's the first thing I found on the net, what you guys using?

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

god's toy wrote: »
    , when I came back to it the 'in' temp was reading 12.1c but the 'out' temp showed 11.0c .

It's the shielding that's causing the difference, I'd say.

One may never get two thermometers to agree. For about €4 in Atlantic Homecare/Woodies/etc one should find a few thermometers in the kitchen section. I've a basic alcohol one on a piece of wood about on foot by four and stuck to my north facing wall ~ it's within one degree of my local airport.

Right now it's showing 13°C my WH1080 is showing 13.5°C ~ so that's good, but I can tell you the shielding on the station is not great so I'm affected by the sunshine, I'm usually over in the upper temperatures from 2 to 5°C

Indoors I'm showing 22.2°C /Kestrel 2500 21.7°C / Digital Themo sensor 21.1°C so at this temperature they are all within one degree ~ I don't think it gets much better than that.

So your question, which one in the same environment is more correct? My own unit would suggest the sensor in the monitoring unit.

Ah thanks for the info!
    I'll leave it as is so and see how it goes.

Today was a good testing day as the alarms are working as set, it warned me a depression was coming and then the sky's opens and hail comes hammering down. Also the rain sensor went nuts with 3+mm per hour!

June 2012 one of the wettest months on record in recent times.

We've had the major rain events, the last one I lost contact with my weather station so I ended up with nothing to analyse.

Over the 14th & 15 June [Thursday & Friday] I and showing a total of 54mm

WH1081 Cork Air Roche's Point
    32mm 37.5mm 25mm Thursday14th
    22mm 21.2mm 17.7mm Friday 15th

I'm pretty pleased with this as I shows a reasonable accuracy I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 missfarmer

I’ve been a follower of the weather forum for the past 2 years. Now looking to buy a starter weather station - compatible with mac software. Can anyone tell me if one exists?

• Advertisement

missfarmer wrote: »
    I’ve been a follower of the weather forum for the past 2 years. Now looking to buy a starter weather station - compatible with mac software. Can anyone tell me if one exists?

http://www.afterten.com/

If you've about a grand to spare, get at least the Davis Vue, the data logger and mounting options.

In Cork one can get the Davis Vue for €400; Data Logger €280 and a heavy tripod €130

Today 30th June 2012 I had to install new batteries all round in my unit.

It supports my last report that they only last a few months and not years as expected.

I've just checked the six batteries and they check out @1.47 and 1.5v: a flat battery should read 1.3v or lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I have the WH1080 but my house is sheltering it and also effecting the data being recorded.

How do I go about moving it without it recording all the jerks etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I just checked the WS1080 online there now..

I have just passed the link to My Wife and kids as an up-coming xmas present. :D

Looks good.

Just a quick note on my odd rain sensor.

Last week the rain gage stopped reporting but each time I went out to look at it everything was fine with nothing stuck or dirty, the seasaw part was free too and when it was moved by me it's was reported to the base unit just fine.

Yesterday I got some 3in1 oil and gave the hinges a quick drop. It rained last night and the reporting was working once more with no problems.

Just posting this in case it's not an isolated thing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

god's toy wrote: »
    Just a quick note on my odd rain sensor.

Last week the rain gage stopped reporting but each time I went out to look at it everything was fine with nothing stuck or dirty, the seasaw part was free too and when it was moved by me it's was reported to the base unit just fine.

Yesterday I got some 3in1 oil and gave the hinges a quick drop. It rained last night and the reporting was working once more with no problems.

Just posting this in case it's not an isolated thing...

Thanks for that, mines stopped working too but not sure if is the battery's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

That is a good idea. Recently I thought that I should have had a higher reading but similarily to you everything seemed clear.
    Must give that a go as soon as I can.

Thanks for the tip!

Advertisement