Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What genres of music are you into?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Death to all but metal

Death to all butt metal?

Yeah, I f*cking hate that band. Although Sarah Silverman is the only redeeming bit of that video.

I cannot stand hair metal or power metal (Manowar, I'm looking at you). It's absolute sh!te (IMO!).
    wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who has no idea what dubstep is?:o

Let me google that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Mainly Rock(Hard-Rock,Punk, Grunge,Rock&Roll and Pclassic rock) and Metal(Heavy-Metal, Trash Metal, Glam Metal and Nu Metal). But I also dabble in other stuff too. The only music I really can't stand is Techno, EMO and Death-Metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

chin_grin wrote: »

Meh. Too much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Am I the only one who has no idea what dubstep is?:o

It's a genre of electronica that developed out of Garage in the late 90's. Originally grow from some weird half time tracks the likes of EL-B and Horsepower Productions it really took off on the London scene, especially in and around Croydon thanks to clubs like Plastic People and the club night FWD.

In the early days the sound was heavily influence by Garage, Reggae and Grime.

It rose to prominence over the last 5 years but has pretty much fragmented into all kinds of sounds. Originally the focus was on heavy subbass sounds , no vocals (the dub part) and a minimal stepped beat (step) as a direct reaction to the commercialization of Garage which at that point had become heavily 4x4 beat orientated with crap vocals (case in point groups like So Solid Crew etc ).

Probably the best known and most derided aspect of the sound is the heavy midrange wobble party **** pushed by the likes of Magnetic Man, Skrillex etc.

Most people who say they hate Dubstep have only actually heard this area of the sound and ignore the work of the likes of Mala, Pinch, Peverelist and hundreds of other who make a far more musical style of Dubstep.

It has recently fractured further and begun to bring in elements of Techno and House. There is also the hipster blogger favourite aspect, called Post-Dubstep but chances are most of these bloggers have only ever heard of James Blake.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Mainly Rock(Hard-Rock,Punk, Grunge,Rock&Roll and Pclassic rock) and Metal(Heavy-Metal, Trash Metal, Glam Metal and Nu Metal). But I also dabble in other stuff too. The only music I really can't stand is Techno, EMO and Death-Metal.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Psychobilly

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'm surprised at the amount metal fans, i didnt know there were so many angsty virgin 15yo boys on here:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Metal mostly Scandinavian.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Some pop but mainly Dance/Clubland type music. Also 90s old School Dance. Dont like Rock/Rap at all but like some Grime

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the amount metal fans, i didnt know there were so many angsty virgin 15yo boys on here:p

You seriously think only emo teenagers listen to metal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't get the joke:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

You seriously think only emo teenagers listen to metal?

They dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Kiera wrote: »
    They dont?

Nope.

It's a weird world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Mostly metal (thrash, nu, glam, whatever.... not really into black/death though) and some classic rock type stuff.

I also enjoy the odd guilty indulgence in cheesy pop, though there isn't much of it I enjoy :)

Pfffffft, amateur. ;)

There's more to metal <must.....resist....urge.....to...type> than meets the eye <dammit!>.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Nope.

It's a weird world.

It surely is, D. It surely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Wow lots of confused souls here don't get Bob....

Get all the old pre-Island stuff, Talkin' Blues and Burnin' into ye! True he went Uber-religious towards the end - *See Confrontation - but this led to some his most emotional/beautiful songs...

Well it's clear I like Bob by now, Also like lots of other reggae Steel Pulse, Dekker, Marcia Griffiths, Toots, Scientist etc. etc.

Can't live without most electronic music besides wanky types like brostep and lazily produced drone-scapes - so much ****e out there though, takes forever to buy music these days

then dabble in classical, rock, folk, blues, hip-hop, post-punk and assorted oddities.

Could go on but I have toast to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Everything but rap. Don't get the appeal at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I'm female and pushing 30, but OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Kinda sums up most of Irelands Views on Metal! and why the likes of Jedward gets noticed as talent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I'd say my taste in music could be more accurately defined by my favourite bands moreso than the particular genres. Perhaps the best description would be ''indie/rock'' but then, I dislike a lot of that too.

I don't listen to rap or hip-hop at all.

I will listen to songs from any genre really except any sort of heavy metal type stuff which I cant stand, not a fan of indie or alternative type stuff either.

Mostly I listen to chart type music (lady gaga, Rihanna etc), dance (clubland type stuff) and some hiphop again the type you would hear in the charts rather than obscure stuff. But I could be listening to christy moore one minute and bruce springsteen the next followed by David Guetta, pretty mixed bag really.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Rock/metal in general, with a bias towards the progressive side of the genres. Lately listening to a lot of instrumental/post-rock. Occasionally listen to some orchestral-style music to as a change of pace.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I don't have a genre I listen too.. I will literally listen to anything as long as it is good.

This is my over all top artists on Last FM.

1 Arcade Fire
    2 Beck
    3 Mark Lanegan
    4 Mr. Bungle
    5 Queens Of The Stone Age
    6 Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    7 The Beatles
    8 Gomez
    9 Republic of Loose
    10 Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

I also like Drum and Bass and a bit of Dubstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Exclusively Indie pop and hip hop.

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Kinda sums up most of Irelands Views on Metal! and why the likes of Jedward gets noticed as talent!

I like almost every genre apaert from country and metal. Why do assume that jedward are worse than metal bands? Heavy metal is just guys showing off their guitar skills and shouting adolescent crap all the while looking like a serial killer. Of course music taste is subjective yadda yadda yadda

Jedward are **** but at least they have decent clothes and wash more than once a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I don't like country. Or most chart music... other than that i'll take it as it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I like most things really (except dance 'music', all the Dubstep shíte).

Mainly folk, trad, ska, reggae and soul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

When people say they listen to 'alternative', what the fup do they mean? Alternative to what? And what's indie?

Anyway, I listen to a lot of shoegazey stuff. I wish I could be like OP and say I'm eclectic, but I'm not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Anything except Jazz, Rap (and Bob Dylan:p).

But I'd even listen to some of the above as well.

• Advertisement

Mindkiller wrote: »
    When people say they listen to 'alternative', what the fup do they mean? Alternative to what? And what's indie?

Anyway, I listen to a lot of shoegazey stuff. I wish I could be like OP and say I'm eclectic, but I'm not really.
    Alternative rock is like pavement, the replacements, rem, good bands basically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Most of my favourite music would fall into broad genre of "classical". For me at least, nothing can rival it in terms of escapism and the degree to which it stimulates my imagination and raises my spirits. I don't care if people think it's pretentious, I love classical music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Ambient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sky King wrote: »
    I don't like country. Or most chart music... other than that i'll take it as it comes.
    Country music can be very good when it's leaning more towards folk with guys like Chris Kristoferson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

ScumLord wrote: »
    Country music can be very good when it's leaning more towards folk with guys like Chris Kristoferson.
    Hmm... is that not more 'folk' or 'americana' or something? To9 me country was always Billy Ray Cyrus and sh!te like that

Q: What happens if you listen to a country song backwards?

A: Your truck gets fixed, and your girl comes back to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Next time i will just say "i like a lot of music" then? or is there some other combination of words which wont make you angry

My post wasn't directed at you. It was a general observation.

Anyhow, don't mind me - I'm a grumpy fuck at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Powerpop, Country rock and Hard Rock for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

But I could be listening to christy moore one minute and bruce springsteen the next followed by David Guetta, pretty mixed bag really.
    You leave the radio on, basically.
    brummytom wrote: »
    I like most things really (except dance 'music', all the Dubstep shíte).
    Categorically describing an unbelievably diverse overarching genre as "****e" makes you look like an awful silly billy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Classical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Theres a '16' a theory,

The music you listen/love/favour to at age 16 is what you will lean towards generally all your life-- I think its more or less true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Preety much anything bar Jazz, Jungle, or anyone who found fame from the X-Factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Trance mainly, I don't think I've yet found a genre that can so perfectly soundtrack so many moments in life. When I was 16 it was nothing but metal in my stereo, the heavier the better. Now I wouldn't even listen to 10 seconds of it, it makes me cringe. I will never ever listen to pop though, it's music for the musically retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Because music is so cheap or free and easily accessible these days, together with being able to carry around thousands of songs in your pocket makes being a fan of all genres of music pretty easy. Almost redundant really, anyone can lump all the trip hop, dubstep, acid rock and whatever else onto the Ipod but do they ever actually listen to it? I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

These days its techno...bit of house, electronic, minimal etc. Used to be into trance when I was younger

Listened to this tonight for the first time in ages and it brought back sweet memories..pity life is fairly ****e these days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Trance for me. I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Very broad taste in music but 90s hip hop and soul is where my heart is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

skapunk nerdcore lit-hop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Hardcore, punk, pop punk, house, tech house, dubstep, elecro, drum n' bass, old school hip hop.

The list goes on, with many sub genres too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Heavy metal, classical music and i like a good crooner.

The only music genres i dont like are RnB and indie music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I wouldn't regard myself as purist when it comes to taste in music and have always appriciated most genres off music over the years including Blues , American West Coast pop - rock from the 60s /70s British pop - rock from the 60s ,70s and 80s , some folk , trad , popular classics and instrumentals .

• Advertisement
Advertisement