Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin.gov.ie

Options
  • 24-11-2011 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious to know why gransportation in Ireland doesn't use .gov.ie

Cie is owned by the government there for it should be gov secured imo. Now with this new site coming out transportforireland.ie its a very long web address. Doing a Google search there is already a tfi.ie so why not have tfi.gov.ie yes I took it directly from tfl.gov.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

I'm just curious to know why gransportation in Ireland doesn't use .gov.ie

Cie is owned by the government there for it should be gov secured imo. Now with this new site coming out transportforireland.ie its a very long web address. Doing a Google search there is already a tfi.ie so why not have tfi.gov.ie yes I took it directly from tfl.gov.co.uk

Cause it's a Quango. All quangos are their own separate identity, their own CEO, their own web domain and huge bill for running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Ok thanks. I dont quite get the fact that there not entirely apart of the government.

but what about having a mayor of dublin. There is one but they were talking about them running the transportation a few years back. Its kinda confused me now.:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They could ask for or buy the tfi.ie from it's current owner. Doesn't seem to be used for much anyway.

I agree that transportforireland.ie is too long.

If I was the NTA I'd get leap.ie off it's current owner * and use it not only for the leap card, but also for the journey planner, real time info, maps, timetables, etc.

Basically make Leap the single brand for all transport in Ireland.

* leap.ie is currently owned by Limerick Enterprise Acceleration Platform, which is basically a semi state agency and they only use it as a basic brochure ware site anyway. Originally it was donated to them by Magnet Telecoms company who originally used it for one of their own products. So makes sense for them to transfer it to the NTA for a much bigger use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

CIÉ, ESB etc are semi-states. They aren't governmental bodies and the staff aren't "public servants", instead the gov has a 100% shareholding in them. Of course that doesn't mean the staff don't basically act the same as public servants.

bk wrote: »
    They could ask for or buy the tfi.ie from it's current owner. Doesn't seem to be used for much anyway.

I agree that transportforireland.ie is too long.

If I was the NTA I'd get leap.ie off it's current owner * and use it not only for the leap card, but also for the journey planner, real time info, maps, timetables, etc.

Basically make Leap the single brand for all transport in Ireland.

* leap.ie is currently owned by Limerick Enterprise Acceleration Platform, which is basically a semi state agency and they only use it as a basic brochure ware site anyway. Originally it was donated to them by Magnet Telecoms company who originally used it for one of their own products. So makes sense for them to transfer it to the NTA for a much bigger use.

I agree with you they should or could buy it. But i don't think they have the brains to come up with that lol.

As for leap. That's what they are trying to do with tfi . I searched for that address transportforireland a few months ago and Google never heard of it. But id say its gonna replace Cie.ie they seem to be adding a lot to the new site.. but leap doesn't sound bad. Does leap stand for anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I agree with you they should or could buy it. But i don't think they have the brains to come up with that lol.

As for leap. That's what they are trying to do with tfi . I searched for that address transportforireland a few months ago and Google never heard of it. But id say its gonna replace Cie.ie they seem to be adding a lot to the new site.. but leap doesn't sound bad. Does leap stand for anything

Late, expensive ,aimless procurement

Late, expensive ,aimless procurement

Lol

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Already up and running here:
    http://www.transportforireland.ie

It won't replace cie.ie. CIE is the parent company of Irish Rail, Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann.

transportforireland.ie on the other hand is owned and operated by the National Transport Agency (NTA). Who are responsible for the licensing of all public transport in Ireland, including IR, DB and BE, but also Luas and private bus operators like Swords Express, Aircoach, City Link, etc. and also Taxi regulation and licensing.

They are also responsible for The Real Time Passenger Information service and the new Leap integrated smartcard ticket.

They are also expected to launch an integrated journey planner which will include all public transport in Ireland, probably on transportforireland.ie

Leap doesn't stand for anything, it is a brand name supposed to invoke the idea that you can leap between different integrated transport services.

It is actually a pretty good brand name. Pity the actual implementation will let it down due to their being no reduction for multi-modal transport.

Advertisement